Skip to content

Help to get into the root of this problem - baldur.lua file on Windows XP

2»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @bengoshi add a note to the Redmine ticket about the Russian characters in the file path; that will help our programmers isolate and fix the issue.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    On the first screenshot, at the very first line after starting baldur.exe, it can't find the lua file. It searches in Documents, Ana, a russian subdir, BG folder.

Could you translate that russian subdir to us. Is it something like "My Games"?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The baldur.lua file is in C:\Documents and Settings\Ana\Мои документы\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition

Ana is the name of the computer, "Мои документы" is My Documents in russian
    Ah, I forgot how XP pathing worked. It's probably the combination of Russian characters with an OS that actually uses the foreign names for folders. Newer versions of windows don't have this issue, because they always use the English name, but make it look like the localized name, specifically for this reason.

Fortunately for you, XP is listed among the game requirements, so the Devs will need to fix this somehow.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    It's not limited to Windows XP. This issue can probably be triggered on every Windows version using non-Ascii characters in their path name (and maybe on non-Windows systems as well).
    edited March 2016
    Yes, but newer versions of Windows don't actually use Russian for such system created folders. Instead, they use the English names for those folders, and then make them appear Russian (or whatever other language) in the Explorer, bypassing such problems.
    You can still trigger this bug by manually renaming "Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition" to something that contains non-Ascii characters in the engine.lua. But on newer Windows versions it shouldn't happen on an unmodded game installation anymore.
    Yeah, but if people purposefully rename the folder by editing engine settings, then they brought that entirely upon themselves. Also, as for the "ä", keep in mind that while it's not an ASCII character, it is an Extended ASCII character, and therefor may perhaps not cause the same problem.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    You would probably also encounter this problem if your user name contains non-ascii characters. Though I don't know if that's possible in Windows.
    I dunno, lemme check.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited March 2016
    I'm not experienced in these things.

And just hope this can be fixed.
    I've checked, and it's certainly possible to create weird usernames like that, which would potentially keep the problem! So yeah, this does not only apply to XP, though in later versions, it only applies to those using weird characters in their username.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited March 2016
    @Gate70 Looks fine. You should mention that content of "engine.lua" has to be encoded in UTF-8. Ansi encodings of non-Ascii characters don't appear to work at all.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I simplified the repro a bit and submitted it. Thanks everyone for your help!
    JuliusBorisovhook71