Skip to content

Playing with Stats

Hey Gang,

I just rolled a 93 for my multiclass Cleric/Mage. I plan to take him from BG all the way through ToB.

Just for the fun of it, how would you distribute the points to his stats? I have some ideas, but I want to hear what you have to say.

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I would beef intelligence and wisdom for the bonus spells. After that constitution, then dex for the ranged and ac bonus. I also have a hard time rping a charname who is a terrible leader, so I always bring charisma up. Strength is a dump stat in this case, just have enough so you don't get bogged down carrying equipment.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Str 10 (doesn't really matter, but it does affect weight, so not too low)
    Dex 18 (why would you not?)
    Con 15 (you don't get any benefit from anything over 16, and you'll get 16 from a tome)
    Int 17 (you don't really need a 19 unless you're playing hardcore, and you won't need an 18 until way after the tome shows up)
    Wis 18 (bonus spells are good)
    Cha 15 (because there are 15 points left)
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    13 Str / 10 Dex / 16 Con / 18 Int / 18 Wis / 18 Cha

Strength and dexterity are kind of red herrings, since stat increasing items and cleric spells such as Draw Upon Holy Might will make your innate stats irrelevant. Granted, if you take the gauntlets of dexterity you won't be able to use the normal bracers that improve your AC, but you will also be able to use shields.

10 Str / 18 Dex / 15 Con / 18 Int / 16 Wis / 16 Cha

This build would give you high Dex right out of the gate. You can max your Con bonus with the tome, and your Int and Wis will max at 19 after tomes. Gauntlets of Ogre Strength will raise your strength to 18/00.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Hey now... being smelly and having food stuck in your beard all the time doesn't mean you have no ability to lead.... Nothing wrong with a low charisma!
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited March 2016
    Depending whether you're playing an Elf or a Gnome which seem like the two obvious options, I'd max out both Dexterity and Intelligence (Elf getting 19 Dex., Gnome getting 19 Int.), give them as high Wisdom you can get, have Constitution at 15 for an Elf or at 18 with a Gnome (I've been told bonuses to saving throws still apply for Gnome spellcasters above 16 Con.), then with the rest of the points put a bit into Strength while having Charisma around 10 points. If you have enough points leftover as an Elf, you could try getting your Charisma up to a decent stat around 15 or 16, but any lower than that and there's really no point since having 11-14 doesn't provide any benefit or change from what I gather, while extra Strength gives you a bit extra carrying weight at least and allows you to wield heavier shields.
  • magisenseimagisensei Member Posts: 316
    To be a cleric/mage multiclass the only race you can be is half-elf, although you could be a cleric/illusionist gnome and start with 19 INT.

10 str/ 18 dex / 16 con / 17 int / 18 wis / 14 cha

Everything else can be raised with magical items.