Skip to content

The real canon party

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

(1) Imoen - you are forced to take her initially
(2) Xan - you meet him in the mines and he is investigating the cause of the crisis
(3+4) Khalid and Jaheira - told to recruit them, Harper's investigating
(5) Yeslick - In the cloak wood mines, run right into him, a real reason to take down the iron throne
(6) Charname

1 fighter
2 multi class fighter/healers
1 Mage
1 thief

Party hits all of the needed requirements, charname can be anything. All characters have a strong story driven reason to be there. If you follow the main quest and nothing else you find them all. Honestly, it makes much more sense than bringing Minsc and Dy along.

Please tell me how I'm wrong

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    bengoshi wrote: »
    Bad, bad OP, who could you forget while mentioning the real canon party that charname is a dwarf called Grumgrum, whielding a hammer and a shield!

YOU CAN'T BE FORGIVEN! or can you? :)

Well naturally. But it'd be improper to point that out when charname can be so many wrong choices too! Err...and be that I mean...well, never mind. I'll show myself out.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    There is one thing that can make this reasoning incorrect. And this is Siege of Dragonspear. We will (hopefully) find out how canon party came to be.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    O_Bruce wrote: »
    There is one thing that can make this reasoning incorrect. And this is Siege of Dragonspear. We will (hopefully) find out how canon party came to be.

I would prefer that we don't find out, since I'd rather be free to take the characters of my choosing for one last hurrah before BG2.

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Philhelm wrote: »
    I would prefer that we don't find out, since I'd rather be free to take the characters of my choosing for one last hurrah before BG2.

I can understand that. Doesn't change the fact we start BG2 with what we start.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    The whole "canon" thing is IMO absurd.

You start BG2 with the couples so that they can be broken up. It's a plot device, nothing more. I suppose the way it's done with J/K and M/D is slightly better than what was done with Xzar/Monteron, but not much.

I think there was a drive to appeal to a bigger audience with BG2 and I'm very glad it was succesful. But some of the "purity" of BG1 as a free ranging, ROLE PLAYING game was sacrificed.

I send Imoen back to Candlekeep, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever that she can sneak out yet can't re enter and her foster father runs the inn where there would be regular deliveries???

So where does "canon" fit into my role playing game?

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I like that. Never thought of it.

I tend to do this: drop Imoen off with Khalid and Jaheira, which explains why the three were captured. I explain Minsc and Dy by saying that she was in the process of looking for Bhaalspawn and thus got caught up in the net. When Irenicus either got what he wanted out of her (i.e.: knowledge) he killed her. Either that or he mistook her for a bhaalspawn and eliminated her when he realized his mistake.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited March 2016
    I like to think that those of the canon party you didn't actually had around for BG1 stalked you without your knowlege. Charname was actually alone when captured and the other five got caught up in the process.

Jaheira and Khalid wanted to make sure that you are safe if you are good and make sure you don't do anything evil if you are bad.
    Dynaheir and Minsc are doing their job on keeping tabs on the Bhaalspawn.
    Imoen is clingy and can't let go (well, and other reasons most of you should be aware of) :D
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473

I like to think that those of the canon party you didn't actually had around for BG1 stalked you without your knowlege. Charname was actually alone when captured and the other five got caught up in the process.

Jaheira and Khalid wanted to make sure that you are safe if you are good and make sure you don't do anything evil if you are bad.
    Dynaheir and Minsc are doing their job on keeping tabs on the Bhaalspawn.
    Imoen is clingy and can't let go (well, and other reasons most of you should be aware of) :D

That's a good point. All of the NPCs do have a valid reason for being around charname, especially Imoen. Jaheira and Khalid would conceivably search for Charname if he never made it to the FAI.

What's funny, is that after all of these years, it was only recently that I discovered that Dynaheir is looking for Bhaalspawn. Supposedly she says something about it if you charm her.

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Philhelm

Same here, never had a clue she was looking for a Bhaalspawn.
    I thought it was just a part of the NPC project.

In order to take full advantage of the mod, I played through as male a few times to do the romances, I usually play female.
    I found her dropping hints creepy and annoying though.
    Have never trusted her since and rejoice when she's killed.