Skip to content

Lord-slayers' Shrine (Dark Souls 3)

FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
edited March 2016 in Off-Topic
Since the DS2 thread has all but turned into DS3 discussion, I figured it is time to make a new thread for DS3.

Here is the new launch trailer

Trailers

Early review

Classes
Assassin

Cleric

Deprived

Herald

Knight

Mercenary

Pyromancer

Sorcerer

Thief

Warrior

Post edited by FinneousPJ on

Comments

• SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Deprived all the way
    FinneousPJ
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    It really pisses me off that FROM decided to postpone the western release by two weeks.

Way too many spoilers floating around the internet already.
    FinneousPJ
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @AKrugBier It is a bloody strange strategy in 2016 I would say.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I have taken a look at some of the later bosses (though that's pretty much it). One of them in particular is just a lore explosion the likes of which is totally and utterly off the charts. The final boss, from what I'm gleaning from information, will disappoint not a single person on earth. This is looking more and more like the pinnacle of what they can accomplish in this format. I can't even fathom what the DLC (which has typically been the strongest parts of the games) is gonna have in store if what I'm seeing so far is in the base game. Seriously, hold onto your seats for this one. There is every reason to think a game like this could disappoint and not live up to expectations. I guarantee Dark Souls 3 is NOT going to be that game.
    FinneousPJAKrugBier
    So, what is going to be your starting class and gift? Do you have a build in mind? A weapon?

Please, put weapon and other spoilers in tags!!

@jjstraka34 @SethDavis @AKrugBier @brus @the_spyder @Yamcha @Vallmyr
    Yamcha
    No idea what the gifts even are actually, but I'm definitely leaning toward a Herald, just because I like the way it sounds and it's new. I know "classes" as such don't mean much after a bit in Souls games, but in my experience I usually keep at least somewhat to the ideals and mechanics of the class I choose, as you do get a small head start on those type of builds.
    FinneousPJ
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    Starting as deprived (this makes the beginning of DS2 pretty awesome, having to use what bits you find, not knowing where to get the hidden treasures, bad armor and shields)

Starting gift depends on whats available, I'd take a unique plotitem over some consumables that may ease the beginning.

Strength or Dex build with shield, with some minor miracles to get through the game for the first time.

Hardest thing will be not looking up stuff on fextralife or similar sites ^^
    FinneousPJ
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    edited March 2016
    Starting as a Sorcerer and build into a light armored, dex character that uses sorceries.

A psuedo-Bard, if you will.

Edit: Idk about gifts yet. If I make Piro though I want to focus on high luck since her char is lucky in my headcanon.
    FinneousPJ
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I agree with @jjstraka34 in that in past Souls games class generally doesn't mean a whole lot after a very short time. You just want to start off with whatever class gives you the biggest stat lift in your primary stats. With that being said, I also tend towards "Role playing" to whatever class I start off as, but that isn't a requirement (at least it hasn't been in previous games).

I will say that at least with the first two that DEX is usually very useful. I found that in DS1, your very first (or at least mine) goal was to get enough DEX to be able to use the Bow. Once you could do that, it made farming the early levels so much easier. And of course it opened up the door for a certain sword that will take you on through quite a lot of the early game before being replaced by something better. DS2 was less that way but not completely absent of that strategy. At the very least a ranged weapon is a great way to draw out your opponents one at a time.

I'll also say that if they keep true to form, actual heavy armor is pretty much a fools errand. In 1 and 2, although there were a few nice HEAVY sets out there you were almost always better off avoiding the hit than trying to absorb it with armor. And if they are following the Bloodborne path, that will continue to be true.

I am personally intrigued about how they are revamping the spell system. I almost always gravitate towards casters and so that is my natural state of being. I like that spells won't be finite use based but will be based on a (hopefully gradually replenishing) pool. That should be nice to not actually have to worry significantly about running out in the middle of a battle. I just hope that they actually fix the fact that spells are all but useless in PvP.

Sorry I can't be more specific on these points but I have been avoiding any true spoilers until launch. I like the initial exploration almost more than any other aspect of the game.
    FinneousPJbrus
    The magic system is going back to the Demon's Souls model (which I haven't played but is in the mail). Meaning basically, a mana bar (the new weapon arts feature is going to run off it as well for melee). While I'm sure certain stats will increase it, there is also now a separate estus flask for that resource as well.

It's very true that there is hardly anything more useful for most players than getting enough dex to equip a shortbow and grabbing about 500 wooden arrows. It's slightly less useful in Scholar of the First Sin where enemy placement tends to lean toward pulling groups no matter what, but I just used it this evening to snipe the dragon down in front of the Cathedral of Blue (this was MUCH easier on PC, I'm guessing the cheese factor was patched out of the PS4 version).

As for armor, it depends on whether or not you can get the items needed to bring your equip load down even while wearing heavier stuff. The first time I started Dark Souls 1, I picked a Knight, and while I never even made it to the Taurus Demon that first time, I can't imagine I would have had much luck running towards that ladder in full plate mail. Then again, slugging it out might be fun one day too. But I had FAR more success once I switched to a bandit, who gets a very solid starting weapon and a spider shield right off the bat.

Starting class matters more than people let on for about the first 1/4 of the game. In both games thus far, Pyromancy and Sorcery items don't become available til you've at least completed 2 or 3 zones. If you want a specific weapon, you're alot better off picking a class that has it, because there is no telling when it's gonna show up, or if it's gonna be on some ledge you just might miss. I'm looking forward to one day getting to a NG+ in one of these games, where you have your near full toolset at your disposal even in the earlier levels.
    FinneousPJbrus
    FinneousPJ wrote: »
    So, what is going to be your starting class and gift? Do you have a build in mind? A weapon?

Well, I've always played Deprived/Waste of Skin with no gift, so I'll probably do that. It would be nice to accidentally pick the Old Witch's ring equivalent, but there's no way to tell the difference between that and the pendant ahead of time.

I always go light armour, usually the best looking I can find (Judgement ftw). It makes you a bit squishier, but the stats you have to put into making heavier armours more effective feels a bit detrimental to me.

In the souls games I've done the first playthrough with tower shield and spear (Dragonslayer spear if available). That wasn't an option in Bloodbourne so I went two handed as soon as possible (noone expects the Spanish leap attack). I know there are shields again in DS3, but I'll wait and see how useful they are.
    FinneousPJbrus
    Playing Bloodborne alot today, inching my way through Old Yharnam, and between that and some streams I've watched, I don't have a clue how people finish these games when they're new in 30 or 40 hrs. I bet my average would be 3 to 4 times that long. Sometimes I just have to sit for a few moments and gather myself on strategy, or spend time in the menus looking at numbers and item descriptions. These games are big anyway, but they are much more content rich than they seem on the surface.
    SethDavisFinneousPJbrus
    I suppose that the standard mace will make a return, so I naturally will go with that one when I start the game. Will probably pick the Deprived class as well, but classes do not really matter on my first playthrough, because I have no idea what this game has to offer, weapon and armour-wise. If I find cool looking weapon or armour set, I always tend to create a build around it. And since I am going in spoilerfree ... well, you get the idea. Am no big fan of a pure-magic build though, meaning I generally avoid build ideas where magic attacks are my only damage output.
    FinneousPJbrus
    edited March 2016
    @Vallmyr I am looking at the Assassin class, which I think would make a great starting point for your bard. On the other hand I might also do a Mercenary for the new dual wield mechanic.
    brus
    FinneousPJ wrote: »
    @Vallmyr I am looking at the Assassin class, which I think would make a great starting point for your bard. On the other hand I might also do a Mercenary for the new dual wield mechanic.

The idea of a bard in the Dark Souls universe is an interesting one, though it begs the question where exactly you would apply your trade. The only people are sitting solitary in far off locations, either seemingly hiding, resting from endless fights, or imprisoned. There is a decided lack of taverns as well....
    FinneousPJ
    I want to make an observation that isn't new, but I've come to realize is the reason these games seem so much better than nearly everything else. It's because you aren't really playing against the game, you're playing against yourself, in real-life.

I can't tell you how many times in Souls and Bloodborne I've worked my way up to a boss fog and just refused to walk in, and went to another area or kept farming. Because sometimes I feel actual anxiety about going in which mirrors my real-life personality. Not because the bosses are too terrifying, but because I don't want to fail over and over. But in the end, that's life. I was standing before the Blood-Starved Beast arena yesterday, contemplating ringing the bell or going in solo. It often feels more gratifying and a great source of pride in real life when you accomplish something yourself. But just as often you work together with someone else to reach a goal as well. I rang the bell and we one-shot him, and now certainly think I can handle him myself on the next playthrough.

There's that old adage that you don't master something in life until you've done it for 10,000 hrs. From Software games don't require that many hours, but certainly might require that many minutes. In the end, I wholeheartedly believe these games are the best artistic, interactive example about overcoming fear of failure I've ever seen. They lay out the pieces on the chess board and say "yes, it's going to be hard, and yes, you will fail hundreds if not thousands of times, but you CAN do this". And ultimately, that's life.
    FinneousPJ

and now certainly think I can handle him myself on the next playthrough.

Or when you turn that one corner... buahahahaha!
    FinneousPJ

Starting class matters more than people let on for about the first 1/4 of the game. In both games thus far, Pyromancy and Sorcery items don't become available til you've at least completed 2 or 3 zones. If you want a specific weapon, you're alot better off picking a class that has it, because there is no telling when it's gonna show up, or if it's gonna be on some ledge you just might miss. I'm looking forward to one day getting to a NG+ in one of these games, where you have your near full toolset at your disposal even in the earlier levels.

I kind of feel like you are putting the cart before the horse in this situation.

As far as Pyromancy is concerned my view might be in the (significant) minority, but I just don't see the big draw. It does some decent damage, that is true. However in the early game with it being limited use and short range and a slow weapon, there are far better weapons early on. Once you get to the point where you can upgrade, you don't need to have been a pyromancer because you have found all that you need to start off with.

And the upgrades are deceptively expensive. In the early game, by the time you get your pyromancy flame up a few levels, you would probably have done better to put those souls into leveling up your character anyway. In mid game, sure there is value but again by then you don't have to have had Pyromancy as your starting class. And late game, since Pyromancy doesn't scale with any stat it doesn't keep pace with the damage of a straight weapon or sorcery. Pretty much the only use I ever found for pyromancy (other than farming the ozes in the Depths in DS1 and a few of the buffs that don't require upgrades and aren't that useful at the beginning anyway) was early on PvP and then only if you sink a buttload of souls in early to get higher damage.

Sorcery is a different matter. I actually like the sorcery in the game (though as I said I find it a bit limited). But again, it is limited use early on. In the VERY early game you are still better using stealth/reflexes, a good fast weapon and then a bow as soon as you get it. Once you actually find sorceries through the normal course of the game they do become useful and indeed powerful (except vs PvP in most cases). But again, in that instance you don't NEED to have started out as a Sorcerer to get that. I personally like the Sorcerer class and generally role play full on sorcery, but I don't necessarily think that gives any advantage. I just do it because I live wizards.

as far as weapons are concerned, I don't think that any weapons that you get at start outstretch some of the early magical weapons you get in either game. Maybe I am wrong about that but in almost every DS1 game, I abandon any weapon I have almost immediately at the point where I get a certain Sword (most easily accessed by using a Bow).

I am not sure how this will translate into the new game though.
    FinneousPJ
    @the_spyder Sounds boring if you're always beelining for the same sword. This game is about exploration and trying things out.
    the_spyder
    True enough. I am not necessarily Bee-lining for that sword, but it is VERY early on, so much so that what little exploration there is to do kind of leads you there. Plus it is pretty cool seeing where it is "hidden" (if you know what I mean).
    FinneousPJ
    "When you pick a fight with the devil, you better be stronger than hell"

Gotta love the Bandai Namco marketing team
    SethDavis
    I actually feel the Drake Sword is much like the Master Key, in that I wouldn't under any circumstances recommend either for new players. The Drake Sword allows you to abandon your starting weapon a few hours into the game, but is a devil in disguise and a temporary crutch, because it doesn't scale with any stat.

The Master Key is fantastic if you'very played the early-game before, but no matter how open ended the game may be, it's fairly clear (as clear as they make anything in this game anyway) that the path meant to be taken is Undead Burg>Undead Parish>Lower Burg>Depths>Blighttown>Sen's Fortress>Anor Londo. You may want to take a detour into Darkroot Basin, though probably only half of it.

Anyway, I'm quite glad I never knew about the Drake Sword and didn't take the Master Key the first time I seriously played the game, as it would have robbed me of my fundamental understanding of the entire series of games.
    FinneousPJ
    The Drake sword is a very useful sword, if admittedly it doesn't last the whole game. But even if you don't use it, there are still plenty of items in the very early game that mean you don't need to play a certain class "JUST" to get a decent weapon or item. That's all I was saying (with regards to the sword).

I've never used the Master Key so I can't speak to it's effectiveness.
    FinneousPJ
    edited April 2016
    Review of the Japanese early release version (I assume)

http://monotonecritic.com/2016/03/28/dark-souls-iii-review/

10/10

"In Summary

Dark Souls III is the best and most difficult Soulsborne game yet. It contains some of my favorite boss fights, enemy types, environments, and songs from the entire series. While a lot of its content is pulled straight from its predecessors, the gameplay is fresh and feels just as improved as it did when we experienced it in Bloodborne, and I’m eagerly looking forward to what FromSoftware has to offer us with the season pass’ content."
    @bengoshi Have you ever played a Dark Souls title?
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    No, I haven't :) I should go into this (starting from the wiki).
    FinneousPJ
    Be sure to NOT TO consult a game guide when starting with Dark Souls 1.

Go in completely blind, because that is how it was meant to be played.

I wish I could experience Dark Souls 1 all over again. ;__;
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisovthe_spyder
    @bengoshi Yeah, totally listen to @AKrugBier and go in blind. Buy the game and start playing!
    JuliusBorisov
    Exactly a week away....next Monday night at this time I'm gonna head to one Wal-Mart or another at midnight and see if they have the game on the shelves. Reviews are coming in, and while they obviously aren't perfect, consensus seems to be that the game is a solid 9/10 easily, which is pretty much all you can ever hope for in a title in my opinion.
    FinneousPJ