Skip to content

Half Orc or Dwarf

After playing exclusively as half orc as my default race due to the 19 str 18 dex 19 con and loving the paperdoll of the half orc fighter I am on the brink of switching all my admiration to the Dwarf.
I got over the revulsion of my sprite being so small. And its all because of the saving bonus. After reading @Grum adventures of his Dwarven Defender I rolled one up and did a full playthrough. And like him I solo'd Drizzt and Sarevok. And after weighing the pros and cons of extra damage versus better saving throws I think better saves win out.
Anyways convince me to jump ship from Half Orc to Dwarf.
lolienGrumAerakarMoradinJuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrgorgonzolatoolarg

Comments

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Gnome.
    PK2748semiticgoddessjesterdesuRAM021
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    @Elendar why gnome. I tried to play a deep Gnome Monk in IWD 2but did not like it.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,016
    Another reason to play dwarf: your high constitution will allow you to drink endless ales in the various pubs without becoming intoxicated. If only this worked in our own world...
    JuliusBorisovEnialusMeliamnekansasbarbarianRAM021
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    @Elendar why gnome. I tried to play a deep Gnome Monk in IWD 2but did not like it.

Fighter/Illusionists and shorty saving throws.

Plus, turnips.
    kansasbarbarianAerakarsemiticgoddessRAM021
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    Half Orc hits HARD!!!
    Percentile strength scores are for wusses!
    Ten out of ten Dorns agree, a half of an Orc is worth three or four dwarves!
    19 Strength 19 Strength 19 Strength 19 strength...
    RAM021
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Dwarves may have the edge in the frontline but I'll take my 19 strength backstabs over some RNG benefits any day.
    SkaroseAerakar
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    edited March 2016
    My cleric/thief's frontline starts with the end of his quarterstaff at the base of Sarevok's and Drizzt's skull, they never saw me coming...
    RAM021
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Halflings can get that 21 Dex and shorty saves, not just elves

Half Orcs can be cleric/thieves with crazy strength for more successful wild back stabs. Quarter staff, two handed weapon style, 19 strength and a critical hit feels pretty cool.

I still prefer Gnomes though. Anything a dwarf can do a gnome can do better
    Elendartbone1RAM021
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    yes a dwarf is better for certain builds but I think the gnomes multi class options mean they can achieve the same outcomes easier. I'm not saying I can make a better fighter/cleric as a gnome over a dwarf I'm saying that a gnome has an option of achieving the same ends as that build better in a second edition legal manner

StormvesselRAM021
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    Dwarf also has better save vs death than a gnome (who is too tall to get all of the shorty bonuses).
    StormvesselGozeta
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    I realise this is a bit of a min-max thread, but still felt obliged to point out the obvious and say dwarf and half-orcs are worlds apart when it comes to role playing. Just in case that's a factor! Why not let your heart lead?
    JarrakulAerakargorgonzolaRAM021
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Dwarves are pretty great. Now if only I had more ideas for dwarf characters...
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    Half-Orcs are sexy.

Need I say any more to convince you?

Case closed! Yay!
    KamigoroshiSkaroseRAM021
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029

Half-Orcs are sexy.

I mean, they don't have a charisma penalty...

More seriously (kind of), I do agree with you, but are you implying that dwarves aren't sexy?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The dwarf charisma penalty is due to them refusing to sell their beer to other races. :p
    AerakarStormvesselMoradin
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    edited March 2016
    Grum said:

The dwarf charisma penalty is because of the jealousy of others.

...jealousy over his/her GLORIOUS beard!
    StormvesselGrum
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2016
    Grum said:

The dwarf charisma penalty is because of the jealousy of others.

Exactly. People accuse the Dwarfs of being bigots and overly dwarfcentric - it's like they expect the Dwarfs to just up and pretend that they are the equal of all the lesser races...just so inferior specimens will feel better about themselves.

Don't blame the Dwarfs if you are a dud. It's not their fault you were shat on by nature. Just take solace in the fact that your race serves a very important purpose - making the Dwarfs look so damn good! Haha!
    PteranMoradinAerakarGrum