Skip to content

3/24/2016: Update Incoming! (details within)

2»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You are stabbing in the dark. Of course I had quit BGEE, then deleted the file, then restarted BGEE and noticed it created a fresh 7KB Baldur.lua file.

Okay, that's not what you said; that's why I asked. (We've had reports from people who deleted the file while the game was running, so it was a reasonable question to ask.)
    So, I also deleted baldur.ini, which was from last year. That changed something! Now there appears a broken and inactive difficulty slider, which cannot be used:

Ah, yes. If you had Nightmare Mode and/or Story Mode set in baldur.ini, that file will need to be deleted as well.

The placement issue for the difficulty slider is definitely a bug, but it's been reported on our side of the wall. Is Legacy of Bhaal working for your saves, now?
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    edited March 2016
    Is it even possible to start BGEE, do nothing else than change the default difficulty setting, quit the game, restart the game and have the difficulty not reset to something else? No loading of saves involved at all!
    I give up for now. Last thing I will try is starting a new LOB game.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited March 2016
    Is it even possible to start BGEE, do nothing else than change the default difficulty setting, quit the game, restart the game and have the difficulty not reset to something else? No loading of saves involved at all!

I've reported this on Redmine. http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/22077
    Post edited by Franpa on
  • 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267
    edited March 2016
    Opps :dizzy: . Missed an entire second page of replies. Ignore me lol

The top left button "Story Mode" needs to be turned off in order for the Difficulty slider to work. it turns on once by default when you del the ini or lua file. It should remember what you pick after you turn off story mode.
    edited March 2016
    It doesn't seem to default Story Mode to On status anymore (if it ever did). I updated my last post with a link to the Redmine report.
    Franpa said:

That is clearly an off-by-one error somewhere in the game code where the programmer did something without keeping quality in mind. Some observations from my side here as I'm not registered for Redmine yet:

1. start BGEE
    2. view game difficulty option
    3. set difficulty to "insane"
    4. click "Done"
    5. get back to main menu and quit BGEE
    6. start BGEE
    7. view game difficulty option
    8. it is reduced to "hard"
    9. click "Cancel"
    10. get back to main menu and quit BGEE
    11. start BGEE
    12. view game difficulty option
    13. it is reduced to "core rules"
    14. rinse repeat -> down to "easy"

In my next reply I will tell whether LOB stays on for a fresh game. May take some more time, though.
    edited March 2016
    LOB mode stays on (and slider hidden) doesn't stay on either, if starting a new game. Apparently, the older settings from the ini/lua files "infected" the savegame I was testing with before in this topic.

Edit: LOB mode turns off automatically in future Auto-Saves and other saves. See below.
    Post edited by Belfaldurnik on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Cerevant It may be related to the bug related to using non-Ascii characters in the path to BGEE folder in Documents.

@Belfaldurnik do you have any non-Ascii characters in the path to your BGEE folder in Documents (the folder with the baldur.lua file)?
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Seems like there's a mismatch in value between converting the mode type to a numerical value and back, like one is adjusted to fit Story Mode in, and the other is not...
    bengoshi said:

@Belfaldurnik do you have any non-Ascii characters in the path to your BGEE folder in Documents (the folder with the baldur.lua file)?

No.

And the LOB mode bug is really not fixed. Hear what I've done. Use "create party" (as I've not tested that before) to start a new LOB game. Create two characters. Save in Candlekeep. Reload. So far so good. LOB still on. Leave Candlekeep. Let join Imoen. Everything still fine. Travel north. Run into an ambush. Try to flee. Imoen gets slain by a single arrow. Escape to main menu. Load savegame. The last Autosave. Difficulty is back to "Insane". Quit BGEE, restart, load an older quicksave. That one is at LOB. The Autosave isn't.

Sorry for spamming this topic, but I really think the bug is still present.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    That's a known issue - it is disabled because you have story mode turned on, it is in the wrong position because bug. But if you uncheck story mode, both problems go away!
    edited March 2016

Franpa said:

That is clearly an off-by-one error somewhere in the game code where the programmer did something without keeping quality in mind. Some observations from my side here as I'm not registered for Redmine yet:

1. start BGEE
    2. view game difficulty option
    3. set difficulty to "insane"
    4. click "Done"
    5. get back to main menu and quit BGEE
    6. start BGEE
    7. view game difficulty option
    8. it is reduced to "hard"
    9. click "Cancel"
    10. get back to main menu and quit BGEE
    11. start BGEE
    12. view game difficulty option
    13. it is reduced to "core rules"
    14. rinse repeat -> down to "easy"

In my next reply I will tell whether LOB stays on for a fresh game. May take some more time, though.
    You're completely correct, it's saving the setting one step further towards Easy each time. I tested it extensively and have updated the bug report. The values denoting game difficulty must have been adjusted/increased by one but the code for setting the values was not updated to utilize the new values.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    This is a known issue without a functional impact: when you start a new game, you select the difficulty for that game. From that point forward the difficulty is now saved in the save game. Changing the setting when there isn't a game loaded has no effect on anything - this is something we are looking at.
    Ithual
    edited March 2016
    Cerevant said:

That's a known issue - it is disabled because you have story mode turned on

*sigh* Then there is another bug present, because I have not turned on Story Mode. The screenshot was made directly after loading the LOB savegame into a clean BGEE (with .ini/.lua deleted earlier).

Which is something I've mentioned before about the previous beta. Story Mode getting turned on automatically when reloading savegames.
    Abel
    A quicksave made upon entering AR2800. When loading it, LOB is on. I move a few steps, then either quicksave or save choosing a filename, and when loading that new savegame, it's back to "insane". Same if I move south to Beregost. The Auto-Save as well as a quicksave made in Beregost will be back to "insane".
    edited March 2016

A quicksave made upon entering AR2800. When loading it, LOB is on. I move a few steps, then either quicksave or save choosing a filename, and when loading that new savegame, it's back to "insane". Same if I move south to Beregost. The Auto-Save as well as a quicksave made in Beregost will be back to "insane".

This issue: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/729313/#Comment_729313 might also be affecting Quick and Manual Save's, but possibly not Auto Saves since afaik someone said the Auto Save made at the very start of the game correctly loads in to the originally chosen difficulty?
  • AnterosAnteros Member Posts: 37
    Anybody else get "placeholder" instead of Shaman during the character generation's class selection?
    edited March 2016
    Franpa said:

This issue: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/729313/#Comment_729313 might also be affecting Quick and Manual Save's, but possibly not Auto Saves since afaik someone said the Auto Save made at the very start of the game correctly loads in to the originally chosen difficulty?

It could be related, but loading and saving the same LOB mode savefile multiple times into new saves does not reduce the difficulty to more than "insane". So, what happens is that when the LOB mode save is loaded, the shown difficulty setting seems fine, but something lowers the difficulty to "insane" for the next save (Auto-Save, too!).

If this happened only on April 1st, it would be even funny. Else it's just some sloppy handling of the game difficulty setting in various places. Probably the result of trying to hack the new LOB mode into the game.
    edited March 2016

Franpa said:

It could be related, but loading and saving the same LOB mode savefile multiple times into new saves does not reduce the difficulty to more than "insane". So, what happens is that when the LOB mode save is loaded, the shown difficulty setting seems fine, but something lowers the difficulty to "insane" for the next save (Auto-Save, too!).
    Well of course, loading a save game won't alter the value stored in the save file so reloading it multiple times in succession won't lower the difficulty multiple times. I bet if you load a save game, then save your game and load the new save game it will have lowered the difficulty further.

As Dee (or a developer) has mentioned elsewhere the save game setting is now also stored within the save game files. Loading wouldn't alter this value, only saving would. Loading however sets the wrong difficulty for your current session, and this mistake will be saved when you make a save game file.

- Load Legacy of Bhaal save game (Mistakenly lowers difficulty by 1 for the current game session, doesn't modify save file)
    - Save Game (Saves difficulty value derived from current game session, Insane difficulty)
    - load newly saved game (Mistakenly lowers difficulty by 1 for the current game session, doesn't modify save file)
    - save game (Saves difficulty value derived from current game session, Hard difficulty)
    - load newly saved game (Mistakenly lowers difficulty by 1 for the current game session, doesn't modify save file)
    - save game (Saves difficulty value derived from current game session, Core Rules difficulty)
    - Load Game (Mistakenly lowers difficulty by 1 for the current game session, doesn't modify save file)
    - Load Game (Mistakenly lowers difficulty by 1 for the current game session, doesn't modify save file [difficulty is the same as the last time you loaded this save game file, one less then what is stored in the save file aka: Core Rules difficulty])
  • morpheus562morpheus562 Member Posts: 249
    I am having the same issues as Belfaldurnik on my Steam game. Is this related only to Steam or are other versions of the game also having the same issue?
    Franpa said:

Well of course, loading a save game won't alter the value stored in the save file so reloading it multiple times in succession won't lower the difficulty multiple times.

"Multiple times into new saves" shall be understood as

1. load LOB savegame '1' -> difficulty setting is hidden -> LOB mode
    2. save into a new file '2'
    3. load savegame '2' -> difficulty is shown as "insane"
    4. save into a new file '3'
    5. load savegame '3' -> difficulty is shown as "insane"

and so on. It is stuck at "insane" for all subsequent saves.

Franpa said:

Well of course, loading a save game won't alter the value stored in the save file so reloading it multiple times in succession won't lower the difficulty multiple times.

"Multiple times into new saves" shall be understood as

1. load LOB savegame '1' -> difficulty setting is hidden -> LOB mode
    2. save into a new file '2'
    3. load savegame '2' -> difficulty is shown as "insane"
    4. save into a new file '3'
    5. load savegame '3' -> difficulty is shown as "insane"

and so on. It is stuck at "insane" for all subsequent saves.
    Oh, okay then.
  • morpheus562morpheus562 Member Posts: 249
    Any updates on getting Legacy of Bhaal to work and not revert back to Insane difficulty? Thank you!