Skip to content

These download speeds...

So:

1. Beamdog client is perpetually trying to log in to no success, although I can still see my library where my titles read "getting download info"
2. The standalone installer is downloading at a rate between 500 b/s and 300 kb/s no matter what I do; P2P on or off, anti virus off, all processes shut down, etc. Internet speed is fine with everything else, on this computer and on my phone, so it's not my connection.

What's going on?

Comments

• QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    you have those speeds? you're lucky.
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    I'm having the same issue...the update for BG:EE is still downloading 3 hours later.
  • rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    edited March 2016
    Spent 1-2 hours downloading the update for BGEE. Managed to get that done and then started SoD and managed to make a little progress. Then the beamdog client crashed and is now making me redownload BGEE. While Im glad I booked tomorrow off work I had actually hoped to get some playing done tonight. Im now about ready to call it quits and leave it on overnight.
  • MorrandirrMorrandirr Member Posts: 60
    Sorry to say, but next time I'll go with Steam. :/
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    I too am raging mad I grabbed my Kendo Sword and ran outside and started yelling, "Download Download - Heaven See My Might and Rage!" The neighbor called the cops since I forgot to put my pants on and was swinging my Kendo sword into the peach tree he nurses - so incensed and full of righteous anger. Luckily the cops give me and automatic pass being a USMC hero and of course working for various Governments and States after that.

Now I am looking at 8 hours 52 minutes for BG EE and 2 hours 34 minutes for SoE. I have decided to head over to Starbucks and chat up yuppie ladies and leave my computer downloading - I will come back to my condo hopefully with it downloaded by then full of coffee to wizard and a full memory computer to play. I am Bezerking so terribly trembling I may just start a Black Guard and play Chaotic Stupid Evil junior high and kill all the townsfolk and Flaming fist on the first screen- thus wrecking the main plot line and having to start over and wasting 2 hours for nothing but impotent sullenness.

It is times like this when I reflect on Liberal blathering Hollywood lefties and say while playing, "What would Jeoffrey do?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlhH1Ac_v-8
  • RKBRKB Member Posts: 2
    Way to slow and client keeps crashing...this is my last time doing this.
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    The patch only took me 15 min to download. SOD is downloading now at 400 b/s nothing is speeding it up, why couldnt they rent extra servers on launch day?
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    My file was blazing along at 600 kbps got 3.7gb's ... 1 minute remaining ... then dropped to like 300 bps and stayed there for like 30 mins with over 2 hrs remaining on the download ... Horseshit mesirs ...
  • WakukeeWakukee Member Posts: 106
    Has anyone had any success getting steam keys from beamdog? At this point it would be faster to load in on a flash drive and mail it.
  • Scythe_KnightScythe_Knight Member Posts: 27
    Someone needs to get Boo some high energy snacks to power the server better.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I literally started the download this morning, went to class, came back, played BG1 for a bit, went to see a play, had dinner then came back at around 10pm to reinstall all my mods and continue my game. If it was the weekend I probably would've gone crazy.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    The Beamdag downloader stops downloading and completely locks up. Then when I exit it I lose all my data. I am going to click it tonight to down load... if it its locked up I will reload and try again in the morning - but if I come back from work in the afternoon and it has locked up again I am going to demand a refund and/or call my credit card company and dispute the paltry 20 dollars or whatever it was. Or maybe do this steam key thing you are talking about. I hate steam but the RPG game baldurs gate rip off with the stupid Planescape Torment ripoff ending definitely downloaded quickly with no hicups. I do not blame beamdawg as I am sure they just were overblown by nerdy weird middle aged guys who wanted to download another chance to romance their half-sister.
  • FinniganFinnigan Member Posts: 10
    After 8 hours of downloading I'm finally at 3.7GB, however at this last percentile my speed has dropped down to 300B/s, thats BYTES, not KILOBYTES. I have spent the last 50 minutes at this final stage and I'm still not done. I love Beamdog, the way they operate, the work they've done (hell I just want more of it!) and their customer service ethic, but this just f*cking ridiculous.
  • watzwatz Member Posts: 5
    My download speed is 60 B/s (when it´s not completely disconnected) and it slows down from hour to hour, so it will take weeks to download SoD and the patches. The speed is much slower than 25 years ago, completely frustrating! It´s the worst lauch of a game ever! And it was the last time I bought anything from Beamdog!
    In an effort to be more constructive than my last post which was just venting and confirming, "I'm not crazy am I?"; it appears that pausing the download and then restarting it a couple dozen seconds later seemed to help me recover some bandwith. Couldn't say why, also it seems that the patch servers are providing me with upwards of 2mb/s bandwidth so it's an interesting situation.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

In an effort to be more constructive than my last post which was just venting and confirming, "I'm not crazy am I?"; it appears that pausing the download and then restarting it a couple dozen seconds later seemed to help me recover some bandwith. Couldn't say why, also it seems that the patch servers are providing me with upwards of 2mb/s bandwidth so it's an interesting situation.

Yes! that worked, I paused it for a couple seconds, then unpaused and it cranked up to a couple hundred KB's/sec and then finished a minute later. Thanks!!
    mf2112 said:

Yes! that worked, I paused it for a couple seconds, then unpaused and it cranked up to a couple hundred KB's/sec and then finished a minute later. Thanks!!
    This makes me feel better about the situation glad to share :D
    edited April 2016
    10 hours of downloading and its crashed for the second time and according to the beamdog client the only thing I have installed is IWDEE. Worst download experience ever. The pathetic speed I can handle its the crashes and loss of progress.
  • WakukeeWakukee Member Posts: 106
    My downloader will occasionally speed up and download 2-40 megabytes, but the it freezes and crashes, and everything is undone. I'm kinda pissed I didn't just get it on steam, beamdog's servers are completely unable to cope.
    edited April 2016
    I tried Bg2ee this time and that was up to 2gb downloaded virtually instantly. BGee takes roughly 7-8 hours. SoD runs for 10 mins then crashes and ruins everything.

edited April 2016
    Just lost 1.2 Gigs of my BG:EE download.. so you know, several fucking HOURS worth.

Seriously I have a connection that can download 2.8 Gig in a matter of minutes, but I've flat out run out of funning patience, I've been waiting a WEEK for this funning patch to start a new play through. Now I can't even get it funning downloaded because whatever they're using as a pathetic excuse for a server keeps funning falling over!

Edited for language. Keep it PG-13, folks.
    Post edited by Dee on
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Slow download speeds are normal at releases like these.
    Right now everything seems to work just fine.
  • SBRAAASBRAAA Member Posts: 29
    Not for me unfortunately :(
    Yup crashed a third time now for me.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    It took me 4 hours to download the bg ee patch and it was successful. Then it took me 2 minutes to download bg2ee patch and it was successful. Then I started download for sod and it cancelled my bg ee patch. But I still have bg2ee patch. Then I had to go to work. I was mad as hell but I will try again when I get off work at 0530.

Slow download speeds are normal at releases like these.
    Right now everything seems to work just fine.
    Having an manager freeze and losing 1.2 Gig of a download that has taken me HOURS to download is NOT "working fine"
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    Are we going to get an update from Beamdog? Like, sorry we've messed up? Woke up, and still can't play...
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    edited April 2016
    I have been downloading SoD from stanalone installer now for 11 hours. It is still at 2.4 gb out of 3.7 gb
    This is not ok...
    I've been spending ALL DAY just trying to download BG:EE