Skip to content

Legacy of Bhaal mode, one life or bugged?

So, I've been immensely interested in doing a Legacy of Bhaal run, after having loved mods such as Tactics, Ascension, Solaufein etc. BG 2.0 just arrived, so I rolled a really OP party and set out.

First thing I noticed, I couldn't afford armors. No biggie, I'll pick up some soon enough. I set out, run into a pack of three gibberlings. Main character dies, I reload, gibberlings die in 1 second. I check difficulty, and it's set to Insane now. Check all saves, all are set to Insane except one in Candlekeep. I reload, try again, die with another character, reload, and it's back to insane.

Now, if this really is a built-in Iron Man mode, that really should say when you select the difficulty. Also, it's an incredibly stupid way to design the game. The fun in having really challenging content is doing it a lot of times, adapting each time and finally beating it. Being sliced to bits in seconds by the Eclipse encounter, and after 100 tries you can solo it with a freshly made sorc, for example.

Having your entire run ruined because of one lucky enemy crit is just dumb.

I sincerely hope this is a bug. I can't find any information on it though, wondering if someone here could shed some light on the situation.
BelgarathMTH

Comments

• nomadmercnomadmerc Member Posts: 48
    I have had that happen on just area loads where it switches to insain. Not sure I enjoy this mode myself seeing as it seems most enemies have x10 hp and 20+ percent resists, hit twice as often, have a lot more thaco/defense etc. Makes my damage dealing mages feel useless.
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    edited March 2016
    Tenrecc said:

I reload, gibberlings die in 1 second. I check difficulty, and it's set to Insane now.

There are several issues with the difficulty settings slider and how it is saved/restored upon loading saves: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/729478/#Comment_729478
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Thats a bug.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    But if I change the difficulty level back (playing core difficulty level) every time that I load the game will it at least remain there as long as I dont reload or does the difficulty level changes in the niddle of a fight? (To say something)
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    So for SOD (I can't speak for BG:EE, things are different), once you set LoB mode it's supposed to STAY LOB mode permanently, you don't even have the difficulty slider anymore on your options area to switch out. Once LOB, always LOB.

If you are getting differences after loading the game in Game Difficulty modes, it's a bug. LoB is not intended to be "Iron Man" mode. There should be a documented way of filing a bug report (Look in the Road to 2.0 forum, you'll see it there).

For ANY of the three games, please file a bug if you're seeing a game that is not keeping LoB mode set after a load.
    illathid
  • Ark_ToleiArk_Tolei Member Posts: 69
    Illydth said:

So for SOD (I can't speak for BG:EE, things are different), once you set LoB mode it's supposed to STAY LOB mode permanently, you don't even have the difficulty slider anymore on your options area to switch out. Once LOB, always LOB.

If you are getting differences after loading the game in Game Difficulty modes, it's a bug. LoB is not intended to be "Iron Man" mode. There should be a documented way of filing a bug report (Look in the Road to 2.0 forum, you'll see it there).

For ANY of the three games, please file a bug if you're seeing a game that is not keeping LoB mode set after a load.

There are multiple separate reload issues with LoB mode that were reported several patches ago and have yet to be resolved. Given that it's impossible to play LoB mode and not run into these bugs I have no idea how they've made it all the way to release with so little discussion.

The bug described above just happened to me, so I can confirm it. The behavior is almost identical to http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/20540 but appears to have gone either misreported or unreported during the beta. I really wish I had just bit the bullet and not worried about doing a clean run for my livestream so I could participate in the beta. I have no clear idea on how to replicate this, except to say that I've reloaded dozens of times this run, and didn't run into the issue until i reloaded an autosave, which triggered it immediately. That could be bad luck or an actual symptom.

I should note that deleting the files mentioned did not resolve the problem, unless the expected behavior for the fix includes "any files already contaminated are contaminated permanently so you'll need to restart from the beginning", which I have not tested, and frankly shouldn't need to. It should be in the description for the fix if it only prevents it from happening again and doesn't fix the damage already done.

In addition, if we have to manually delete game files in order to be able to play LoB mode without it randomly deactivating with no way of fixing the saves that are corrupted, you guys should really do a public service announcement telling all players to just delete those files rather than offering as a troubleshooting option.

There's also this bug redmine.beamdog.com/issues/21962 which also negates the LoB bonuses in an entirely different manner, and is almost impossible to avoid running into, because it happens any time you reload a save file with an creature loaded in the area. It's trivial to replicate to the point of being nearly impossible not to replicate.

Between those two bugs I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have a couple save files contaminated by bug 2, several contaminated by bug 1, and no other save files to fall back on unless I go all the way back to candlekeep, and there's no guarantee that reloading that file won't trigger bug 1 again.
  • TredvoltTredvolt Member Posts: 62
    Was looking forward to Legacy of Bhaal mode. It really is the only thing I'm interested in from the 2.0 patch. Unfortunately try as I might I cannot get it to work, as even enabling it initially on creation doesn't seem to keep it. The slider pops back up and shows that it is set to insane mode.

I really hope this gets fixed soon as it seems an entire difficulty setting isn't functioning. If anyone finds a quick and dirty fix to this please let us know.

Intended functioning - Legacy of Bhaal mode stays on regardless of loading saves or console commands.
    You're absolutely right on the intended functionality. If we've already got bug reports in place for it you can be assured that the bugs are in view of project management at this point.

Trust me when I say we've been working diligently to squash everything we could prior to release and will continue to do so post release.
  • TredvoltTredvolt Member Posts: 62
    Thanks for the quick reply Illydth - I know you guys are working crazy hours this week to do what you can. Any update specific to this feature would be appreciated as you know more. Until then my friends and I will patiently wait!

I'm hoping this isn't the kind of thing where we need to wait for the next patch for it to be available. I assume it will take you guys a couple weeks to get to the next batch of fixes for this patch and that would be a bit disheartening.

In any case best of luck and we'll be there when you get it going.
    @typo_tilly has reported some issues with the fluctuating difficulty after load (It seems to be affecting more than just LoB Mode) from another thread. I'll summon here just to make sure there's visibility to this piece of the puzzle as well.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Not want to add to the confusion but when i first launched bg ee after 2.0 the difficulty was set to easy (with 1.3 it was ar core) i changed it back to core. After quitting and loading again my save it was set to normal, i changed it back to core, saved that game , quitted and reaload again. And it was at core. So, perhaps, just perhaps, setting it at the difficulty you want, then saving quitting and reloading solves the issue. At least until they things fixed