Skip to content

Containers gone?

The scroll case, gem bag and potion bag are gone after importing the game from the final save created by BGEE. Is that supposed to happen?
BelgarathMTH

Comments

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Yes. Due to the nature of how containers are implemented in the game, we can't import them without the risk of breaking the containers already in the game.
    zealer
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    What?

My imported final save had multiple such containers still present in the inventory: scroll case and potion case on F/M/T main character, gem bag on Kagain. Another gem bag on some of the companions, who accompanied me throughout the tombs area: Dorn, Edwin, Viconia
    @Cerevant

And indeed, Potion Case and Gem Bag are broken in that one can select items but not move them into the backpack. That only works after giving the Case/Bag to a different character. Tested after exiting Ducal Palace with player character and Safana.

My imported party had 2x Gem bag, 1x Potion Case, 1x Scroll Case. All containers were also transferred into the chest in the Ducal Palace quarters.

If they were supposed to be deleted upon continueing from BGEE, that doesn't work. I've not imported the final save, but loaded it into BGEE to watch the final movie and have the game continue with SOD automatically afterwards.
    edited April 2016
    Confirmed: Importing a final save removes containers. Loading a final save into BGEE to watch the end movie and then continue into SOD does not remove containers!
    JuliusBorisovzealercmk24Jarrakul
  • zealerzealer Member Posts: 30

Confirmed: Importing a final save removes containers. Loading a final save into BGEE to watch the end movie and then continue into SOD does not remove containers!

Thanks! Gonna restart the playthrough then...
    Yeah, but does that guarantee that they will really work fine throughout SOD? @Cerevant above refers to unknown breakage or fears of breakage.
    zealer
  • zealerzealer Member Posts: 30

Yeah, but does that guarantee that they will really work fine throughout SOD? @Cerevant above refers to unknown breakage or fears of breakage.

So it's loading the final save in BGEE that should be fixed? :D

I'll still try it out though, if it breaks the containers already in the game I'll just use the containers that were on my character.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    Thus far, I've only imported final saves into SOD to kick start my play throughs.. On two of those imports, containers transferred with the CHARNAME. VERY handy in that first dungeon!
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited April 2016
    If i dont import, but just play bg ee and then keep on (transition) with sod, will i get any problems?
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    I was sad to see my bag of holding (added via console) was gone when loading a final save. I will try replaying the final battle to see what happens to my containers.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I just loaded my final save through BGEE and allowed the automatic transition to happen. All my containers are present and I've had no problems so far. Importing the final saves has landed me in all kinds of trouble, though, including CHARNAME starting with no equipment at all.
    JuliusBorisovcmk24
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    It's the exact same issue that I noticed in Ice Wind Dale v1.40 Enhanced Edition.
  • chilvencechilvence Member Posts: 50
    :/

I don't even consider playing BG without containers. You'd think that any self respecting adventuring party would be able to formulate a plan to deal with the copious amounts of treasure they might expect to find, right? Even Dungeon Siege gave you a mule :P

The game is so tight fisted with inventory slots. IWD2 had a massive improvement, I think 8 (or 16? can't remember) extra inventory slots, small but had a massive impact on tedious inventory shuffling. I wish we could have that in BG/IWD games. Pleeeeeeeeease? Something to look forward to when IWD2EE comes out and the engine is 3.0 :D?

This missing feature made the start of my game agonising. I had so much stuff stashed away, knowing that it would be useful in the day the expansion pack came out, then the game basically robbed it all. I had a wave of nausea as soon as I realised I would not be playing Baldur's Gate, but Inventory Tetris again. To make sure I didn't lose anything valuable, I basically had to do a bloody stocktake just before facing Sarevok... so I kept anything handy and thought to myself "oh well, sell what I can't carry at Sorcerous Sundries." Guess how that worked out. There is a well thought out, elaborate and entertaining plotline to explain the missing gold, which I quite happily ignored and cheated around, because sod off that's why.

I wouldn't have found it so irritating if I had known it was going to happen, I simply wouldn't have wasted the effort to save mountains stuff playing through BG1. I wanted an easy ride through the expansion campaign and I worked hard for it, I don't care if I break the balance. So I feel a bit cheated by the game design. I put the time and effort in to save all that treasure and gold, who gets off on telling me I can't have it?

Sorry for the rant, it has nothing to do with how I feel about the overall game, but BG's inventory management can really just sod off and die...