Skip to content

Patch 2.0. - feedback and questions

Comments

• CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    I am very disappointed, both about the UI, but also lots of new bugs... Back to IWD (until that goes 2.0 too ...)
    MivsanValamirCleaver
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    I don't understand what you mean with the sprites.. to me they look exactly the same with the black border turned off, even in your screenshots. Other than that I agree with the sounds.. Miss the clicking noise and scroll sounds..

The UI itself still has some work to do, but the better modding support is good.. To be honest I've never liked that blue BGEE UI out of personal preference. Hopefully more UI mods will appear and I'll find one I like.
  • ArabaniArabani Member Posts: 25
    I absolutely hate the new patch. I was so excited yesterday about the new content and the chance to play my favourite game all over again, and then I saw THIS! Ridiculous parody on what used to be a great game to play. Everything, everything is inconvinient: map, character sheet, spellbook, hotbars, dialogs, saves, cusomisation, tooltips, animation. There are a lot of bags: sound disappears, potion and gem bags tend to "stack", locations missing on the map. And many many other unreasonable changes...seriously why have you done this? Why have you touched the things that were not broken?

I'm verry disappointed. And what irritates me most of all is the absence of the option to turn ui and graphic back to the original look. I'm not a programmer, but I'm sure it's rathe easy to add such an option, or even make two standalone versions of the game:one for the "new guys" and one for us, people who are used to playing it.

Can we have the game we love back please?
    VitorSearonixMivsanValamirCleaver
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited April 2016
    I noticed you can start BGEE and then launch SOD and load the BGEE save from the SOD launcher. It will let you play through BGEE with the SOD UI if you want.

Personally I like the outlines on characters and the map zoom. The new UI doesn't bother me to be honest and the game as a whole looks nicer to my eyes.

I would like to be able to use multiple portraits. One for the side bar that is just a facial shot and one for the character screen that is a torso or full body shot. It seems like it will only allow you to use one picture for both screens for some reason.

I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it yet. It took a few hours to download the patches and SOD and I work 11 hour shifts at the moment so I won't be able to dig in until Friday night.

I selected the hardest difficulty but I have heard that it reverts back to insane if you are killed. I haven't died yet but I am still in the prologue. I killed the rats with a Katana and it said I was doing 1 or 2 damage and that the rats resisted 10-12 damage so I guess it's working. I won't know until I get more time to play.

I really haven't had any issues yet with the UI though. It seems like I can find everything pretty easy and while it is different than the old school version it feels similar enough that it doesn't really bother me any. The spell book and the info tabs on the main character screen are different but easy to navigate.
    gnaumiec
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    My two cents.

1. The store. The inventory is aligned to the top of the page but the store action buttons are aligned to the bottom of the page, this feels clunky. There shouldn't be so much dead space between these two elements, they should ideally be centre aligned and right next to each other.

2. Text box. Are we able to have the width of the box draggable as well as the height? Again there is a lot of available space horizontally as nothing shares the same space as the text box - whereas the height cuts into the actual game space.

3. Spells. Please don't preselect spells for us when creating a new character. It's an irritant to have to go through and deselect them all. Appreciate you want to make it easy for newbies, that's what the 'choose for me' button was for.

4. Custom portraits. Mirroring what other people have said. Having to click through X number of portraits to actually see them is a pain. Whilst the old system wasn't great either you could at least directly select the picture you wanted if you knew the name. Now regardless of if you know the name you have to click through every preceding picture to get to your desired portrait.

5. Cleric/Thief. Please can we have the thieving skills button taken out of the abilities menu. If there is a question of limited spaces then I personally would put Turn Undead into the abilities menu and have the Thieving Skills button in its place.

That said I like a lot of this so far. As always it's easy to find niggles rather than praise. One big thank you is the weapon switching finally being user friendly.
    CluasValamirCleaver
  • DorianDorian Member Posts: 2
    New interface is disgusting! Can anyone tell me how can I return old UI?
    I have been playing BG for 18 years and all this windows, sounds and buttons have become a small part of my soul... And you took it all away! Please, return me the integrity of my soul BACK!!!
    VitorValamirCleaver
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited April 2016
    After so many years the transition with the new UI is a bit brutal indeed, there are good things but also other things that need to be fixed and eventually will be.

For instance, the font size at the custom character screen ingame is too small imo, changing the font size won't effect it.
    This new imoen portrait bugs me, it looks too much "photoshoped".
    The character class creation with automatic filter is a bit weird and not needed, simple highlighting was enough. The multi class should be considered a class with sub classes (just like before) because it looks weird to have them mixed up with all the other classes, and when you choose half elf, shaman class looks really sad down under -_-
    Icons of memorized spells in spell book are too small.
    I also find the UI too dark, maybe it can be changed, i did not try it yet.

There are more things I would like point out but will not in this post.
    I am not really satisfied with the way it looks but I really like the new features and extra information added, I am optimistic, I think there is a good potential, those "little things" just need to be fixed.

I know it might be a bit painful to read those posts after so much work. I guess you guys did expect it with a new UI and hardcore fans. I tried to be constructive -_-
    ValamirCleaverSxphxrxth
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    Was the actual launch product tested in beta? I don't see how these issues could've slipped through the cracks.

I love the expansion so far but my goodness it's buggy. One thing I've noticed about the difficulty is that it drops by one notch everytime you enter the main options screen. So if it's on Hard, you can leave and reenter, leave and reenter, and it will be normal. Leave and reenter again and it will be on easy.

I really want to try the Shaman but frankly, I don't have the courage to - not with the game in this state. I am going to go run through IWDEE and hopefully things will be better after the first patch or two.
    helmo1977
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

I don't understand what you mean with the sprites.. to me they look exactly the same with the black border turned off, even in your screenshots.

You need to reload your game for those changes to take effect.

• pvddrpvddr Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2016
    I dislike basically every single change. It's not that it's much worse, it's that it's so unnecessarily worse, especially aesthetically. Baldurs Gate was great, and they changed a bunch of things just because.

If I could, I'd take the "you can now place weapons in right hand even if two-handed" feature from the new patch and leave EVERYTHING ELSE the way it was.
    MivsanValamirCleaver
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    I'm with the OP on bugs, but as far as changes go...this is a re-release of a game by a company which originally had "Overhaul" in the title. If you were expecting everything to look and function exactly like it did in 1998 - and you say you have no interest in any new content - then the EEs might not be for you.

That said, I am sorry to hear that your experience has been so negative. Luckily, one of the awesome innovations that came with 2.0 are new interface editing capabilities, meaning that even people with virtually no modding experience can edit, tweak, rearrange, and fully replace the interface to their liking. If a "classic" interface is what you're missing, don't worry - I'm sure it won't be long before there's a mod that delivers just that.

As for zooming issues, portrait selection, and other bugs/features, Beamdog hasn't had the best track record when it comes to release/patch day. Unlike most developers, however, they continue working to improve their games long after release and make a genuine effort to ensure that each player can enjoy BG in the way that feels best to them. Hopefully it won't be long before that's your experience as well.
    [Deleted User]illathid
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HardtargetHardtarget Member Posts: 5
    A lot of the changes sound promising to me, little things like knowing when your journal is updated, etc. hopefully the visual stuff you don't like can just be turned off.
  • LurtzLurtz Member Posts: 6
    Dorian said:

New interface is disgusting! Can anyone tell me how can I return old UI?
    I have been playing BG for 18 years and all this windows, sounds and buttons have become a small part of my soul... And you took it all away! Please, return me the integrity of my soul BACK!!!

Arabani said:

Can we have the game we love back please?

If you have the game on Steam, you can right click on it in the Steam Library, go to Properties, go to Betas and select "bgee_1.3 -".
    I fear you will have to download parts of the game again and I don't know if there are ways to revert to 1.3 if you have bought the game on GOG or on the Beamdog website but hopefully I've been helpful.
    [Deleted User]
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i've noticed the frame rate has dip extremely.
  • WakukeeWakukee Member Posts: 106
    What is the timeline for the difficulty bug fix? It makes the game completely unenjoyable for me, and I honestly don't see how this wasn't caught. It's really noticeable immediately.
    ValamirCleaver
  • Saigon1983Saigon1983 Member Posts: 157
    Every time I start my Steam BGEE, baldur.lua rewrites from stratch! I cannot save any of changes. WTF?
    ValamirCleaver
  • ArabaniArabani Member Posts: 25
    edited April 2016
    Wakukee said:

Lots of people are mad about UI changes. You could have seen them in any stream. They will soon be modded too. Chill.

Yes, I saw them on the official stream, I asked the question and was told they could be reverted. But most of them can not. Even if you turn the new sprites off, the animation is different, more blurry. And you can't change map, background colours, tooltips, spellbook, hotbars, character sheet, shop window, dialog window and many many other things.

I do not also use mods.

All I want is the old ui back. If you like the new one it's great, but many people do not. I believe we deserved the option to switch it back.
    MivsanValamirCleaver
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I relied on the dialogue box to tell me what was going on but now it just stays scrunched up at the bottom of the screen and can't be expanded - is this intentional?

And as for that huge great box that obliterates half my screen every time a note is added to my journal - MAKE IT GO AWAY!
    Arabani said:

Wakukee said:

Lots of people are mad about UI changes. You could have seen them in any stream. They will soon be modded too. Chill.

Yes, I saw them on the official stream, I asked the question and was told they could be reverted. But most of them can not. Even if you turn the new sprites off, the animation is different, more blurry. And you can't change map, background colours, tooltips, spellbook, hotbars, character sheet, shop window, dialog window and many many other things.

I do not also use mods.

All I want is the old ui back. If you like the new one it's great, but many people do not. I believe we deserved the option to switch it back.
    If they had the option to undo any change anyone didn't like, the game would be huge with way too many options. It;s why modding exists and why the game is so mod friendly. If you want the old layout, it will happen via mod soon.
    illathid

Every time I start my Steam BGEE, baldur.lua rewrites from stratch! I cannot save any of changes. WTF?

I guess you could try making it read-only? All changes would have to be made manually to the .lua file, but the game shouldn't be able to edit at that point I think.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    dunbar said:

I relied on the dialogue box to tell me what was going on but now it just stays scrunched up at the bottom of the screen and can't be expanded - is this intentional?

And as for that huge great box that obliterates half my screen every time a note is added to my journal - MAKE IT GO AWAY!

For the first bit, you can click and drag the top edge of the combat log to make it taller.

For the second, you can disable Journal Pop-Ups in Options > Gameplay > Feedback.
    dunbar[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisov
    Wakukee said:

I guess you could try making it read-only?.

Don't work. Tried. During game settings are save somewhere, because simple reload applies all changes. But on restart all starts from default

Wakukee said:

I guess you could try making it read-only?.

Don't work. Tried. During game settings are save somewhere, because simple reload applies all changes. But on restart all starts from default
    You tried editing the file to the desired settings and then marking as read only?
    @Wakukee, yes.