Please excuse my ignorance (things might have been explained elsewhere, but now there's 170+ pages of the main SoD thread alone) and slightly annoyed tone that is sure to emerge from between the lines - I haven't been following the development of SoD and the 2.0. patch as I've had no interest in it. However, the patch hit me today by surprise (before I read that there's an option to opt for a 1.3. beta on Steam - thank you for that, by the way!) and to say the least - I'm shocked, confused, perplexed. The patch changed so many things, mostly for the worse, that I have to ask: what happened? And most importantly, how much of that can I revert through options, mods and ini commands (well, baldur.lua now, it seems)?First off, the UI and general look:
- Is there a way to remove the Borderlands-like outlines on my characters? When I first saw how everything looked, I was horrified
- is this Baldur's Gate: Telltale Games Edition? Even after I've turned off sprite outlines, highlights and whatever else in an attempt to restore the old look, it's still different, the characters still have outlines and look blurry. Screenshots for comparison - old
. Can't I simply have the 1.3. look back?
- I see that I can turn off the new selection circles (that make it look like there's something wrong with the perspective) which is nice. However, even when the "classic" ones are enabled, the circles and ground markers are different than before - I liked the nice and clean double-circles. Not a big thing, but can't I simply have the 1.3. circles back?
- Where is the rolling piece of parchment when you highlight an item or character? Now, there's some alien-looking neutral plain gray box instead. How could you have removed such an iconic thing? Can't I simply have my 1.3. rolling parchment back?
- Why were the clicking sounds, so characteristic to Baldur's Gate, removed from so many activities they were tied to for 20 years? Like right clicking an item to see its description or assigning stats during character creation? Can't I simply have my old clicking sounds back?
- Switched saved game order? For 20 years, the newest saves were on the bottom, now it's upside down. Why? Can't I simply have my 1.3. save order back?
- Minor thing - different font. It seems like my setup I've had in baldur.ini does not work, but I guess I could make it happen through editing baldur.lua? Can't I simply have my 1.3. font size back? Well, in this case, I think I just might! Too bad it's the most minor of my complaints.More specific UI stuff:
- Inventory is laggy and you can't use mouse scroll to scroll up/down when there are a lot of items on the ground. Instead there are pages. Why? Can't I simply have my old 1.3. inventory back?
- Dialogue window - again, no mouse scroll usage to simply scroll around. Instead, I have to now open the upper thingy and have another, small part of the chat window where I can use the mouse scroll. Why? It worked perfectly fine before! Can't I simply have my old 1.3. dialogue system back?
- The spell menus are so much worse. Being able to see the spells in a list, sorted by alphabetical order sounds like a nice, OPTIONAL thing to include, but to change the whole spellbook/cleric scroll feel and implement this horrendous looking, small row of icons of memorized spells just makes me wonder - why? Even such a basic thing as memorizing a spell requires more clicks now - it seems you can't simply click on a spell to have it memorized. Instead, you have to select it, then click "memorize" and only then it works. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but that doesn't seem like improving anything. Have fun switching many spells for different encounters/dungeons. Can't I simply have my 1.3. spell menus back? -- Edit here: actually, a single click works if you click on the spell ICON, but not on the spell NAME. Wow.
- Character info - I've seen that there are already threads about that, with polls indicating that most preferred the 1.3. look so I'm not going to go into it. But still - can't I simply have my 1.3. character info back? Removal of lists:
- Am I to understand that the new, "improved" way to assign a custom portrait to a character is to click one by one through my list of 300+ portraits, instead of quickly scrolling through a list, looking for a specific NAME I made for a portrait I wanted to use? What sense does that make? Can't I simply have my 1.3. portait list back?
- Another list removed - while improting a character for a new game, the list of character files, with NAMES I remembered them by (as I was the one who made and named those files in the first place!) is now replaced by generic showcase of portaits with minimal info. What happened to the simple convenience of seeing file names - was it too easy to choose what character I wanted to import and so it was made into a challenge of its own? Can't I simply have my old 1.3. import list back?
- I really can't get over that. Is the intended way to have easy access to a portrait/import character is to name it like "zzz01" so it's the last one and thus, appearing as first when you scroll left while choosing a portrait? Just explaining that sounds convoluted beyond any necessity, especially compared to how easy it used to be for 20 years.
In general, it seems like most of those changes were forced. Completely unnecessary, but introduced so that "something's different". Change for the sake of change. Slightly different look of saved games + reversed order, zooming in and out when activating the minimap, different selection circles. Why, why, why?
I really appreciate the options to turn off things like health bars, journal pop-ups and other ridiculous "innovations", but that's not enough. The UI isn't "highly customizable", as it was described in some threads I've read. There are a few options, but most changes seem to be unrevertable.
It would be nice to enjoy some of the new features like the fixed "seletion sound upon failed banter" bug, achievements or easier weapon switching, but as it stands now, unless you wonderful people can provide me with some baldur.lua info or mods, I think the only thing left is to revert to 1.3. through the beta option on Steam and forget the new patch even happened. This isn't a satisfactory solution for the long term, however, so if there's any knowledge about the above topics anyone could share, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
Edit - just for completeness sake, I'll include some more things I wanted to comment on after playing some more, from my later post on page 2
- It was mentioned before, but the swapped location of done/save/load and cancel buttons is pretty annoying. Why would you do that after years of having it the other way? I constantly keep canceling out of actions I want to perform, out of muscle memory/habit guiding my hand.
- The locations on the world map
are in different places. For example, the area south of High Hedge (the one with Bassilus and Melicamp) appears way to the west. It makes no sense. Also, look where Durlag's Tower is - I know it was south of Firewine in vanilla, but was it displayed over there in EE? That's one thing I don't remember precisely. In a different thread, I've read that you can't uncover/travel to some locations from places you could before, but I haven't encountered that myself. I didn't explore everything in this short run, though.
- Speaking of traveling, I've noticed there are many other entrance places added. I'm neutral to that change. It feels weird, but it's not a negative thing. Maybe with the exception of the Gnoll Stronghold, when you enter from the north. You can skip the bridge with the 2 ogrillion guys altogether, while it has always seemed to be the intended encounter you had to beat to reach the stronghold.
- It was also mentioned before in this or other threads, but being able to scroll beyond the area map borders is not a good idea
- The cutscene with Charleston Nib is weird - his pathfinding makes him go back to the other rooms and you have to wait for him
for quite a while, being stuck in that cinematic mode. Not a big deal, it was always a crowdy place and difficult for the whole party to get through the doors, but it's something to correct. Tried that twice, so it seems consistent. Never had that happen before, and I usually have a full party, which should have made things even more difficult for poor Charleston.Inventory:
- When you take an item out of a stack, it appears way further from the cursor, above and to the right of it. The screenshot
isn't that great, as it doesn't have the hand cursor displayed. I tried to indicate where it was and it's an easy enough thing to check for yourselves.
- Bug: something like this
happened to me when I was ordering my characters to drink a potion in the inventory screen and switching between them using number keys.Achievements:
- There are some embarassing typos for some of them like "side with ALDEST Sashenstar", "bring TANYA's possessions", "unpetrify CAMAH" (should be Aldeth, Tenya and Tamah of course)... Also, one achievement correctly mentions Silke, while the other - Silkie. But really, ALDEST? TANYA? :+D Were those descriptions done by someone who has never played the game before?
- Some of the achievements are bugged - the one for completing Chapter 4 (kill Davaeorn and flood the mine) never triggered for me, tried it two times without success. The achievement to bring Tenya's bowl only triggered when I entered Baldur's Gate city. I thought it wouldn't work at all, after trying it two times, so I just proceeded with the game as usual and was surprised when it popped up after arriving in the eastern district of BG.Sounds:
- Some sounds are different than before - for example the miners in the Cloakwood Mine have a different groan. It doesn't affect the experience in any way, but I fail to see the point of changing them to something else after all these years.
- Some NPCs are silent now. I suspect something went wrong and their intended voiced line isn't playing properly. Drasus, the Flaming Fist guy and Scar on the bridge to Baldur's Gate didn't play their line when initiating their dialogue.More graphics feedback:
- Here are my settings
- everything turned off. And this is how the game looks - example 1
, example 2
. You can't tell me you don't see how different the characters look. Not only is there an outline, but they are blurry and the colors/contrast is different. Look at Eltan's armor, for instance.
- The portraits of recruitable NPCs are different, too. They're sharper, while before they were blurry. Now their avatars in the game are blurry instead. A switcheroo!
- Ashideena's lightning damage effect is also different, the sparks having a big black outline. Another example of some fundamental graphics change that affects everything, I guess.
Again, for completeness sake, links to my other important posts on page 4 about:
- The revert to version 1.3.
being completly broken.
- A huge wall of text
about BG2:EE 2.0. bugs and poorly though out features.