Skip to content

A new screenshot approaches!

Comments

• zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    The fiance offers this, being the tablet user that I am not: The large extra buttons on the lower right hand side are probably designed for tablet uses, both the size, and placement. If you're right handed, you'll probably hold the tablet in your left hand, and hit the buttons on the right side, with your right hand.

I'm curious as to whether the buttons can be reversed, or flipped, for left-handed tablet users.

I like the new GUI, especially when I made the picture do "full screen" as suggestion. I would like a little space between the portraits. Everything else, I'm fine with.
    The_New_Romance
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    @Kerozevok

I love that stone texture with the wood. It looks like a good combination of the two UI's plus looks like a foundation for the UI.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Maybe in the future they'll release theme packs for the game. They said they'd be releasing paid and free DLCs after release. I wouldn't pay for a theme pack, but would certainly try a free one.

Really I don't even notice the GUI after I start playing. As long as I know where the icons I want are, it's all automatic.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Rhulqdahr said:

@immagikman

And why do you need the names for? be.

Who said anything about NEED? I prefer...would like...enjoy... If given the option I would like it.
    Rhulqdahr
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Seeing Xzar in that party made my day
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    Daylight said:

Wanted to try make a different kind of GUI while listening to different kinds of people advices.

I changed the button layout a little bit, extended the text box, made the GUI's backgrounds color resemble somewhat Baldurs Gate 1, kept my portrait frame borders, kept the new icons which "Overhaul" made while making a little bit changes in color scheme, tried to use up all the free space without suffocating GUI too much, changed the new NPC portraits saturation a little bit to make them in harmony with other BG portraits (though Neera still stands out thanks to all that pink) and that's about it.

I hope I didn't mess the GUI up too badly, 'cause i have been painting with mouse instead of a pen and it took a little bit of time, therefore i am "blind" to my own work 'cause I have stared the same picture for far too long, losing my objectivity in the process. So the screenshot mockup might be a little too detailed and gaudy...

P.S
    Apologies if my explanation and writing sounds weird, I am little bit of tired for not sleeping well thanks to my neighbors party rumble for all night long. :(

P.P.S
    And while at it, thanks to all folks for kind comments for my mockup screenshots! I appreciate it. :)

Took out the extra button which expands the dialogue/battle log.

This looks amazing, much better then the official screenshot imo...
    BjjorickMoomintrollAkuro

The buttons are bigger for TOUCHSCREEN users on iPad and Android ;)

That is why TOUCHSCREEN users have their own version right? I bought the PC version if I am not mistaken... ;)

The_New_Romance
    Bjjorick said:

Daylight said:

Wanted to try make a different kind of GUI while listening to different kinds of people advices.

I changed the button layout a little bit, extended the text box, made the GUI's backgrounds color resemble somewhat Baldurs Gate 1, kept my portrait frame borders, kept the new icons which "Overhaul" made while making a little bit changes in color scheme, tried to use up all the free space without suffocating GUI too much, changed the new NPC portraits saturation a little bit to make them in harmony with other BG portraits (though Neera still stands out thanks to all that pink) and that's about it.

This is the pure awesome i thought overhaul would have come up with, the color of the UI blends with the game screen, it frames the game perfectly, and would become invisible until you need it. That is what the UI should be, and the text window is full size, which is the biggest complaint i have about the new screen.

If overhaul doesn't adapt the sheer awesomeness of what you created, do you think you could make a mod for the game that would be this? I would donate for this.
    I would donate for this as well.
    Bjjorick
    Kerozevok said:
    I am sorry but I must be daft or something, how is it not possible to make those changes when you have the source code for the UI? community mods have done more by just reverse engineering the game.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    edited September 2012

I would donate for this as well.

Heh, i think in the end, overhaul is trying to change it waaaaaaaaay too much. People love baldur's gate and don't want major changes, update it, just lol, don't change it to make it look modern. I know this doesn't make much sense, but all i can say is that games now a days may be pretty, they may be shiny, but they have little to no heart.

If they 'modernize' this game, and make it pretty and shiny and kill the heart of the game, i'm done with this developer, no matter what they do in the future. Sadly, their new ui looks pretty and shiny, but it seems what was important (to me at least) was stripped away to make it so.

This is my OPINION by the way, and i speak for myself, not for anyone else. I've already bought the game and i will wait and see what happens, and i'm perfectly free to comment on my worries. But this isn't to hate on it, and i pray that i'm wrong. I just wish that the UI looked like something @daylight created, as that seems more BG then the official UI.

Edit: Wow, this was my 1000th comment, and i have roughly 100 agree/100 likes.....guess 1 outta 10 isn't too good. :P
    KosonRhulqdahrTheudipald
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    Is @TrentOster drunktweeting again? He said there was a new screenshot on the forums, but for the life of me, I just can't find it.
    XzarDragonserpentRobachicken
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    Maybe he is referring to the screenshot of september 6, the one of this topic? I'm searching through the forum but I can't find find a new screenshot
  • King_of_WormsKing_of_Worms Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    Daylight said:

This is exactly what I expected from the UI overhaul. The colors, layout and the details you added are beautiful. I believe it can look even better if the background was slightly transparent. This would definitly make me buy BG for the third time.

The official one looks very cheap. The poorly upscaled BG logo Overhaul is using since the announcement was a bad sign.

BjjorickAkuroSpaceInvaderFluid29
  • Sick_BoySick_Boy Member Posts: 20
    I like the new UI. Gold/Blue is a very nice combination, and stretched text box is better for reading. Maybe I would swap one or two buttons from the right to the left of the UI, but that's just me.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I like the new GUI very much.
    Have absolutely no issues with it..
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    @bigdogchris Thanks, i'm not totally satisfied with the textures, but i like also the concept.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Strange - release date is coming, while dev input is shrinking. I though it would be vice versa.
    The_New_RomanceQuartz
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The blue stone and gold borders is actually beginning to grow on me. I'm starting to like it. I think what's still throwing it off a bit for my taste, though, is the shape of the gold border. I agree also that the portrait borders should be reworked.

If I understand correctly, one of the devs' main selling points is that they have supposedly made the UI code, and other aspects of the code, even more mod-friendly than it was before.

I personally don't like the drab grey interface designed by @Kerozevok. That's why I think that the user should be able to customize the interface colors, just like in Windows.

I know that it's totallly possible to customize the interface, even before the code enhancements, because it's already been done in the mod I posted about earlier.

There is no way in heck that any interface design is going to please every user. I've seen interface suggestions in this thread that I like, and several that I hate. The default one that the devs posted in the screen shot kind of makes me go "meh". I'm not super turned on by it, but it will certainly not influence my support of their efforts.

As far as customizing screen space and moving buttons around, that could not possibly be implemented ten days from release of the download. However, I would think that maybe the community modders could tweak it and create mods that offer lots of different approaches.

And maybe, if we're nice, and they get enough financial backing from us the consumers, the devs could create some kind of downloadable utility that would allow even more UI customizability.

We need to support them almost no matter what at this point. First, they need funding. Then, they can do oh-so-much to make us all happy.

They have repeatedly demonstrated their respect for the game and for us, the fans.

I love Belg's suggestion that the GUI be customizable, although that will probably have to be patched post release, as he observes.
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    They've stated customizable GUI is on their post ship release agenda, remember they still have lots of optimisation work to do for BG2 and as they're making it in the same engine I would expect a substantial amount of these changes to be retroactively applied to BGEE
    Tr_ond
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    ChillinR said:

I must say I’m a quite surprised by the screenshot. Having read about the UI overhaul on the website and on Twitter, I expected functionality changes, instead of the updated to the aestethics and button arrangements.

I have to agree with this. In that respect I was actually a little shocked. Just being honest. I think they oversold there.
    ChillinR said:

I’m immensely happy... that everyone can just install and play without having to sort out which mods they want, checking compatibility, installing mods, etcetera.

Eventually this should be true...

Beamdog needs to release a mod manager ASAP post-release. Because for so many fans of this game it is all about the mods. That is something that should not be done as an afterthought, as it somewhat appears. I know they have been wrestling alligators all day long just cleaning up code. But a mod manager application is essential for this project.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited September 2012

I am sorry but I must be daft or something, how is it not possible to make those changes when you have the source code for the UI?

Since the begin, we know that BGEE is not a new engine, but "BG2 with a code more clean".
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    Lemernis said:

ChillinR said:

I must say I’m a quite surprised by the screenshot. Having read about the UI overhaul on the website and on Twitter, I expected functionality changes, instead of the updated to the aestethics and button arrangements.

I have to agree with this. In that respect I was actually a little shocked. Just being honest. I think they oversold there.

I was a bit surprised as well, I think they ran into bigger problems with the code than they expected, definitely oversold it and I think if they had prioritised it there would be a lot less carping
  • ChillinRChillinR Member Posts: 3

(...) I think the potential modernization of the code is a much more important part of the new UI than the fact that the rocks look blueish.

This. I just hope that the modernisation allows (or will allow) for actual functionality improvements.

Tr_ondserabiet
  • ReclusiarchReclusiarch Member Posts: 9
    The gold borders around the "game window" itself might be a bit too much, as it distracts the eye (perhaps it's too bright gold?), otherwise I think it's ok. Daylight got a really good thing going as well!