Skip to content

Will New UI Allow More Versatility in Kit Modding?

Insert_BooInsert_Boo Member Posts: 12
edited September 2012 in General Modding
@camdawg In reference to a old SHS post on Engine Limitation you did, you said

"Interface buttons are hardcoded - The buttons available to a character (turn undead, stealth, bard song, spellcasting, etc) are set by their class, not their kit. So if you wanted a paladin with a bard song, you can't do it--the bard song button is not available to paladins and there is no way to add it. On the flipside, though, disabling buttons are generally pretty easy--a cleric that can't turn undead or a ranger with no stealth are both pretty easy.
"

Do you (or any knowledgeable folks) foresee that to continue being the case with BGEE? Or will the new UI open things up a bit? Thanks!

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    By all accounts it should open things up in the sense that you can assign any capability to any class/kit/character without having to alter/include their base class.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I doubt it, i asked a time ago if the Team BG would develop an friendly user interface for modders, if i remember well the answer was no. But i really hope to be mistake or wrong here.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

"Interface buttons are hardcoded - The buttons available to a character (turn undead, stealth, bard song, spellcasting, etc) are set by their class, not their kit. So if you wanted a paladin with a bard song, you can't do it--the bard song button is not available to paladins and there is no way to add it. On the flipside, though, disabling buttons are generally pretty easy--a cleric that can't turn undead or a ranger with no stealth are both pretty easy.

I haven't looked too closely, but I don't believe this has been softcoded yet. A lot of the requests like this have been put on the backburner as we address bugs leading up to the release.
    kamuizin said:

I doubt it, i asked a time ago if the Team BG would develop an friendly user interface for modders, if i remember well the answer was no. But i really hope to be mistake or wrong here.

TeamBG didn't have access to the source.

• Insert_BooInsert_Boo Member Posts: 12
    Ah well, thanks for you guys response. Maybe later on this might change.