Skip to content

Possible bug: Armour/item description borked?

Hi all,

So I started a new character today. I have BGEE-DoS installed. I just arrived at Beregost and was looking at some stuff in my inventory, and I noticed that all my armour descriptions are wrong. They are mostly pieces of speech taken from other parts of the game. Additionally, the ammo pouch and magic boots at Thunderhammer are also screwed up. The ammo pouch has the same description error, whereas I think the boots have the wrong description and icon.

Now, I am using the tweak pack, so I was wondering if someone with a clean installation could confirm that this really is a bug. It would be super helpful, as otherwise I have to go through and uninstall all the tweak packs/do a clean install.

Thanks!

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    I'm going to guess that you downloaded SoD from Steam or GOG.

Steam and GOG download all the SoD files into a zip file in a DLC folder. It doesn't replace the original dialog.tlk file in the lang folder. WeiDU sees the original dialog.tlk file and patches that. Then your game uses the SoD dialog.tlk file in the zip file from the DLC folder. Hilarity ensues.

It should probably work with just BGEEv2 installed, but not with SoD.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49798/so-siege-of-dragonspear-breaks-most-of-mod-compatibilities#latest
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Please keep in mind problems with modded content should not be considered bugged.

Please DO Report issues you see with modded content (the community will appreciate that), but please do not identify that content as bugged. While we make every effort to support modding these games, we can only confirm bug reports that happen on entirely un-modded games.

Content that works on an un-modded game that breaks with any additions added is 100% working content.
  • dancingcrabdancingcrab Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2016

Steam and GOG download all the SoD files into a zip file in a DLC folder. It doesn't replace the original dialog.tlk file in the lang folder. WeiDU sees the original dialog.tlk file and patches that. Then your game uses the SoD dialog.tlk file in the zip file from the DLC folder. Hilarity ensues.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49798/so-siege-of-dragonspear-breaks-most-of-mod-compatibilities#latest

Ah, I see, thanks for for the info! I am using Steam. Would using BD's version avoid this issue?
    Illydth said:

Please keep in mind problems with modded content should not be considered bugged.

Please DO Report issues you see with modded content (the community will appreciate that), but please do not identify that content as bugged. While we make every effort to support modding these games, we can only confirm bug reports that happen on entirely un-modded games.

Content that works on an un-modded game that breaks with any additions added is 100% working content.

As much as I appreciate your intention, I did deliberately titled this 'possible bug' and clearly asked for someone to check an unmodded game. I was seeking verification, not attempting to submit a bug report.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited April 2016
    @dancingcrab Sorry if I came across as such, I was not in any way attempting to suggest you were trying to submit a bug report.

Academically, I'm trying to understand this statement: "and clearly asked for someone to check an unmodded game". This is me attempting to better figure out how to communicate effectively with the player base so please humor me a second.

When you suggest "unmodded game" but seem to be talking about a mod (Unless BG:EE-DoS was supposed to be BG:EE-SoD?) how are you asking about an "unmodded game?" Does that term (unmodded) specifically mean opening the saved game file in something like EE Keeper and mucking with the Game State/Global Variables/etc.?

If so, what is a better term I could use to describe a Baldur's Gate: EE and BG:SoD installation that have had nothing additional put into them and no changes made onto them other than what came directly from Beamdog and/or the Distribution Mechanism of choice (i.e. All the files in whatever the game directory is are totally as delivered from the publisher)?

Thanks for humoring me on this, I get this reaction a lot when I try to talk through problems and I suspect I'm using a poor choice of words. I'd be happy to take any correction you might give to my terminology.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Ah, I see, thanks for for the info! I am using Steam. Would using BD's version avoid this issue?
    Yes. I downloaded by game direct from Beamdog, and I have installed BG1NPC on my copy of SoD. It works fine so far.
  • dancingcrabdancingcrab Member Posts: 15
    Illydth said:

When you suggest "unmodded game" but seem to be talking about a mod (Unless BG:EE-DoS was supposed to be BG:EE-SoD?) how are you asking about an "unmodded game?" Does that term (unmodded) specifically mean opening the saved game file in something like EE Keeper and mucking with the Game State/Global Variables/etc.?

Oops, I meant SoD. Apologies if that wasn't clearly a typo. My bad.

By unmodded game, I literally mean unmodified, whether or not I have mods installed. As it is, I only have some tweak pack tweaks modifying the game. Nothing else. I was asking if someone who had no mods installed could clarify whether it was a bug, otherwise my assumption would be that a mod (specifically, the tweak pack) was the source. Turns out that's the case.

Anyway, no harm done, I'm not offended and there is no reason for us to be on opposing sides here. Your response just felt misdirected to me, and I see some of that had to do with my sloppy typing.

Yes. I downloaded by game direct from Beamdog, and I have installed BG1NPC on my copy of SoD. It works fine so far.

Interesting. And a little frustrating. Oh well, guess I'll get rid of the tweak pack! Wonder why GOG and Steam do that.