Skip to content

So Siege of Dragonspear breaks most of mod compatibilities

fantasmafantasma Member Posts: 35
Almost any mod that interferes with dialog.tlk seems to have lost its compatibility with SoD.
You can hold installing SoD if you're going to start BGEE now and then move on to SoD through character importing, although it's required to reinstall mods after patch 2.0. It seems patch 2.0 alone doesn't break mods.

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    BG1NPC appears to be working fine so far.

Did you install the mods after installing SoD? SoD will replace the dialog.tlk, so you'll want to install SoD before any mods.
  • fantasmafantasma Member Posts: 35

Did you install the mods after installing SoD? SoD will replace the dialog.tlk, so you'll want to install SoD before any mods.

No it messed with dialog.tlk regardless of install order. Probably because SoD and its dialog.tlk file is zipped in DLC folder.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i'm playing on steam and before i installed sod everything was fine [ besides a crash.]. but after installing sod whitch had all my mods installed before hand now everything is broken text wise.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

i'm playing on steam and before i installed sod everything was fine [ besides a crash.]. but after installing sod whitch had all my mods installed before hand now everything is broken text wise.

Delete everything in your override folder and reinstall your mods.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Most mods will require updating by their authors to support the latest dialog.tlk changes introduced.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,439
    As @fantasma already mentioned, the reason for this is the way how SoD is installed by Steam. The SoD content (including the dialog.tlk which contains the text strings) is installed as a self-contained zip archive which is currently invisible for modding and editing tools.

There is currently no simple way to work around this issue, but I'm pretty certain that some modder will come up with a solution soon.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Oh, that is most foul! Maybe WeiDU could locate and extract said file before patching.
    man i wanted to wait for siege before beginning my epic trilogy run. now the mods i need don't work. might need to wait afew days as i can't play bg1 with out the npc project mod.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    it's also only a bg1 issue so the amount of work needed to update the mods is alot smaller. in the mean time i may just start a new game in sod until this is fixed.

man i wanted to wait for siege before beginning my epic trilogy run. now the mods i need don't work. might need to wait afew days as i can't play bg1 with out the npc project mod.

BG1NPC installs fine on BGEEv2 without SoD. There will be some minor bugs (Coran's wyvern quest). If you wait until you finish BGEE and then install SoD (and then import the final save), that should work for now.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,439

Unfortunately dealing with this kind of thing is not something that can be figured out by any enterprising modder. It seems like something that has to be dealt with by Weidu itself.

But, I'm not sure Weidu is (or should be) capable of extracting .zip archives...

It's not only a matter of extracting files from a zip archive. Normal game resources can be simply placed into the override folder, but a modified dialog.tlk has to be put back into the archive again. It's probably much simpler to create a mod that integrates the SoD content directly into the main game.

• UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    edited April 2016
    argent77 said:

Unfortunately dealing with this kind of thing is not something that can be figured out by any enterprising modder. It seems like something that has to be dealt with by Weidu itself.

But, I'm not sure Weidu is (or should be) capable of extracting .zip archives...

It's not only a matter of extracting files from a zip archive. Normal game resources can be simply placed into the override folder, but a modified dialog.tlk has to be put back into the archive again. It's probably much simpler to create a mod that integrates the SoD content directly into the main game.

So, as a workaround, could you not simply extract the SoD dialog.tlk, put it into override, install mods and then put it back into a zip archive?

(Just asking if this would be a working short term solution for steam users, obviously it would be weird for weidu to do that..)
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    edited April 2016
    As a Steam user who was desperate to get started with his playthrough, I chose to reinstall the game without SoD. As others have pointed out in this thread, Bg1NPC project works just fine on the new patch as long as SoD is not installed. Given that 1) the content of Bg1NPC project does not carry over to SoD and 2) SoD has no effect on the main game aside from the UI, I don't think there is any real reason to bother with SoD until you've beaten the main campaign anyway.

In case anyone's wondering how to get rid of SoD from your Steam install, you need to untick the box next to the 'installed' status in Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition/Properties/DLC on your Steam client. Then you need to delete all local content and redownload. Yes, it's a pain, but it still beats waiting God only knows how long for a hotfix that may or may not happen.
  • TheMetaphysicianTheMetaphysician Member Posts: 76
    Does this problem only apply to Steam users? Will the mods work with SoD for non-Steam users?
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295

Does this problem only apply to Steam users? Will the mods work with SoD for non-Steam users?

The issue will affect Steam and GOG users.

Mods should work fine for Beamdog users (there might be some issues but those can be easily fixed through mod updates and the upcoming weidu update)

Realistically, and unfortunately, this needs to be addressed by Beamdog and Steam.

They gave me a Steam key for owning the Beamdog Direct game... maybe they can give people Beamdog licenses for owning the Steam game.

@CamDawg would that be possible?

Not sure if there is a way to publicly "share" one's GOG library or provide proof of ownership of the Steam/GOG versions any other way though..

• fantasmafantasma Member Posts: 35
    Ulb said:

Not sure if there is a way to publicly "share" one's GOG library or provide proof of ownership of the Steam/GOG versions any other way though..

"Traditionally", Steam offers cd-keys that can be copy&pasted to be used elsewhere, EE series are not supported for this at the moment. Maybe Beamdog might come forward and arrange cd-keys to be distributed through Steam that can be activated in Beamdog client.
    Just maybe.
    Because all I can do is hope.
    @argent77 has outlined a method to expand the DLC zip file into the override directory. Not for the faint of heart, though.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/732373/#Comment_732373
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Mods do not work if you have the Steam version of SOD? Do they work with the Beamdog version of the game?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @Aedan They do.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @ALIEN
    Thanks for your answer. I really hope you will find a solution.
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    weird--I was trying to use the Vynd NPC mod and had the bright idea to ditch Steam and go install my old un-expansioned Beamdog version of the game, and he was broken in the same way on that install. this is pretty disappointing! the vibrancy of BG is in its modding community! are we confident some kind of one-size-fits-all solution will emerge sooner rather than later?
  • sandrolsandrol Member Posts: 31
    edited April 2016
    Hi,,,
    anybody knows if stratagems-v30 is compatible with SOD ...?
    because i believe that he don't
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    @sandrol SCS is a mod for BG1 and BG2, not SoD, so you can't install SCS on SoD. But you can install SCS on BG1EE and BG2EE after they got 2.0 patch, if you use fixes by @subtledoctor from here - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49016/patch-2-0-and-tthe-scs-compability#latest
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

@bengoshi SoD contains BGEE within it, so you can and should install SCS on SoD (with my hotfix). SCS won't affect any of the SoD part of the game, but it *will* improve all of the BG1 part.

I'm installing SCS right now, in fact - I'm doing a mini-semi-mega mod install on SoD with ~40 mods 30 installed so far, but SCS is S L O W. I'll write up a post on how everything goes once I'm done installing.

So... How did it go? Very, VERY interested to hear if it is possible to mod SoD with mods for BG1EE.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @Mirandel: It should work. If you have Steam or GoG, you need to use the modmerge application, but then you should be able to install most of the mods.

A couple of mods will currently fail to install properly, as SoD changed the contents of the file they're targeting, and the mod doesn't know how to properly address this new file. These mods will need to be updated.

Also, once Weidu 240 is out, all weidu mods need to be updated to properly install on sod in addition to bgee.