Skip to content

[BUG] Where has Khalid got to?

I'm in Bridgefort and after having solved the dark magic stone quest, I can't find khalid to progress the game. Am I being thick or have I found a game breaking bug?

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    edited April 2016
    outside on the ramparts is where I found him.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    I can't seem to find him either.
  • jankojanko Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2016
    For me he also dissapears
    To be more specific I can see in console that he is killed in an attack started by talking to Wynan.
    SpaceInvader
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Same thing happened to me. I managed to progress the game by attacking the crusaders in their camp instead. Khalid is missing forever from the world though. The goblin shaman also disappeared somewhere around this time for me.
    Yeah he's definitely dying when the big rock shows up. I don't think he's supposed to because the quest doesn't update or anything.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Ok, so we're looking at this one as well.

We suspect there's something going on with Khalid's Level and the interaction wit the "big Rock" that's causing this.

The "big Rock" provides a level drain effect for anyone near it. If Khalid's level happens to be 1, and the rock falls, that reduces his level to 0 which is insta-death for Khalid. We do have ways of fixing that of course.

We're tracking this one. However, if someone could please verify that there's a bug report filed for this on Redmine I would appreciate it.
    SpaceInvader
    I filed a report on Redmine
    elminsterSceptenar
  • MirenheartMirenheart Member Posts: 41
    Khalid was dying for me as well, since I picked him and Jaheira for their stuff and then dismissed them, leaving them level 1.

I used EE Keeper to change Khalid to level 2 , and that indeed prevented him from dying.
  • jankojanko Member Posts: 4
    Could I console him back? Anybody knows his character string?
  • PajmagePajmage Member Posts: 4

Khalid was dying for me as well, since I picked him and Jaheira for their stuff and then dismissed them, leaving them level 1.

I used EE Keeper to change Khalid to level 2 , and that indeed prevented him from dying.

Which version of Khalid did you change with EEKeeper?
    It only showed the one version of him for me, so I couldn't say.
    What did you do to EEKeeper to be able to access the Siege of Dragonspear game data files? I've tried pointing it to the dialog.tlk file in the new SoD directory but just get errors.

Do you know the name of the .CRE file? Could use that to spawn him with the console as an alternative.
    edited April 2016
    Pajmage said:

What did you do to EEKeeper to be able to access the Siege of Dragonspear game data files? I've tried pointing it to the dialog.tlk file in the new SoD directory but just get errors.

Point the save data towards "C:\Users\(User Name)\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\sodsave" and the installation directory towards SODs install location. Then, tick the box next to "Use Custom Save Location".
    For anyone having issues with this, I found a way around it:

Have a cleric cast the 4th Level Negative Plane Protection spell on Khalid Before talking to the mage. It only lasts a short while so I made sure Neera was back at camp (she kept dying on me as well) and used ctrl+j cheat keys to get from the door to the mage as quickly as possible.

I've just tested it and it worked fine for me!

- Paj
    Sceptenar
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Nice solution @Pajmage I wish I had thought of it when I was going through the area. Sadly I did not, so no Khalid for me. Funny enough, Khalid didn't show up at the end of the game either before you transition to BG2 with the canon party.
  • FanumFanum Member Posts: 10
    had the same problem. I consoled in the 6 versions of Khalid that I knew about (they are older versions of him and don't resolve the problem) to fix (I don't have a save before it occurred). I also have been unable to find the Goblin and Ive been to each screen except the first to the left (it wont let me travel there for some reason). So a solution to either would be great.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    edited April 2016
    Does this bug only occur when Khalid is of a low level? I used him in the save I imported into SoD and he was way above level 1. Yet, I cannot find him.

After conversing with him, he walks around then disappears. When the event happens after speaking to the mage, he is not listed in the deaths.

EDIT:
    Never mind, I found him outside on the ramparts as well. I did not see there was an exit there.
  • laeknirlaeknir Member Posts: 58
    Immediately after talking to the mage, the magic rock kills quite a few people - Khalid, but also Neera, Kendra, Herdrin, and Lexa. I'm thinking that at least Khalid and Neera should survive, because Neera gave me a quest before she died and doesn't Khalid finish some quests and eventually join if you want him?
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    I also had this problem with Khalid. It comes because I didnt recruti him in BGEE, so he was just 1st level. When the rock struck, it killed him outright. The solution was respawning him when I was OUTSIDE of the fort (in the battlements). I started the conversation and everything worked fine. You should have solved the rock quest first.
  • WillowbarkWillowbark Member Posts: 50
    Four years later and still this issue persists. Has this never been fixed? I mean, if he progresses the game, surely he is supposed to be an essential character and therefore unkillable?

I don't know how to use the console so respawning him isn't an option for me. I guess I'll have to redo the entire sequence including the fifteen minutes of pickpocketing and so on.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Willowbark He's not essential for progressing the game. He IS essential if you want to negotiate with the crusaders.