Skip to content

[BG:EE] Unabe to start the beamdog launcher.

Whenver I start the launcher to install the game it crashes. "Baldur's gate enhanced edition launcher has stopped working". Running as Administrator didn't help, nor did any compatibilit modes.

GPU: Nvidia GTX 850M
CPU: intel i5 4200H, 4 cores, 2.80 GHz
RAM: 8 GB

The game was bought on the beamdog site, where the games were when BGEE was first released. I can't find that site anymore.
I tried following the steps on this page: https://beamdog.zendesk.com/entries/31177538-Windows-My-Game-Won-t-Launch-Or-Is-Crashing-On-Launch

I reinstalled OpenAL, and tried the soft version from that page .
I updated the video card drivers.
I deleted the bgee folder from my documents.
I think windows 10 uses 32 bit color depth or higher as default and has no option for less.
I have .net framework 4.5 up to 4.6.1, windows update says nothing can be updated.

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    The Beamdog client is crashing rather than the game?

Have you tried removing that from the control panels
    (settings, system, apps, highlight the Beamdog Launcher and uninstall) and re-installing.

It is available at https://www.beamdog.com/products/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition as a blue download box almost at the bottom left of that page.
  • Flameguard27Flameguard27 Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2016
    I uninstalled bg:ee and downloaded and installed the client from that site. The client crashed as soon as the installer tried to open it.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    You have .NET Framework 4.5 up to 4.6.1 — just as a hunch, you might want to grab the earlier versions, specifically 3.5.
    1. Press Windows key and R at the same time
    2. Type appwiz.cpl in the Run command box and press Enter
    3. In the Programs and Features window, click on the link Turn Windows features on or off
    4. Check if the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) option is available in it
    5. If yes, then enable it and then click on OK
    6. Follow the on-screen instructions, complete the installation and restart the computer, if the process requests that from you
    If that doesn't show up, you need to download 3.5 and install it.
    .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0 is installed, with both of its subfeatures being installed as well. The launcher still crashes on startup. I tried downloading 3.5 from the microsoft website but the installer won't start.
    Solved: This was sort of solved by not using the Beamdog version and buying BG:EE (and SoD) on Steam. The Steam installer does not require the use of the Beamdog launcher
  • tls5669tls5669 Member Posts: 12
    Shouldnt have to stand on your head while whistling dixie while pressing the download button with your toes. This is the 21st century it should be as easy as pushing a button. I mean sheesh how long has this expansion been in development? I cant even get my Beamdog client to work for Pete's sake
  • silverwolfsilverwolf Member Posts: 13
    Yeah the problem is with the client itself, have they even realized the issue, are the looking in on it? I'd actually like to play this game, before another bunch of years go by.