Skip to content

A strange melee character

2»

Comments

• PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    edited April 2016
    Nuin said:

You can't backstab with the Staff of the Magi though, because plain thieves can't use it. People generally use the staff because it drives spellcasters nuts with click weapon->invis. It may not be strongest weapon damage-wise, but it can help you clear stuff without hassle.

Are you saying that a Thief can't backstab with the Staff of the Magi, even with UAI? Quarterstaffs are a Thief weapon, so can normally be used with backstab. In fact, Staff of the Ram is supposedly a popular weapon for this. I've never tried the Staff of Magi for this, so don't know if there's some additional limitation at work.

• NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    No they can't. Bugs aside, anything a plain thief can't use will not allow you to backstab.

UAI is different. You can't backstab with weapons like Carsomyr, for example.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Item Revisions has a component to allow backstabbing with any weapon, even stuff like Carsomyr. But it also imposes backstab penalties. A quarterstaff like the Staff of the Magi will reduce your multiplier by 3.
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    :cry: my eyes...
    Interesting.
    Nuin said:

No they can't. Bugs aside, anything a plain thief can't use will not allow you to backstab.

UAI is different. You can't backstab with weapons like Carsomyr, for example.

I know that Thieves can't backstab with Carsomyr (sadly!), since it is a two-handed sword and not a normal thief weapon. However, quarterstaffs are normally available to Thieves.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited April 2016
    @Philhelm
    It doesn't work. That's it. If you don't believe it, try.
    Yeah, but the Staff of the Magi isn't. It's not so much about weapon types, it's about specific weapons. There's a reason only mages can use the staff, and that reason is why you can't backstab with it.
    Nuin said:

Yeah, but the Staff of the Magi isn't. It's not so much about weapon types, it's about specific weapons. There's a reason only mages can use the staff, and that reason is why you can't backstab with it.

I believe you guys, but is that normal for a thief class weapon that isn't normally available to thieves? Or is it a peculiarity of the Staff of Magi?

edited April 2016
    It affects all weapons that a plain thief can't use without UAI, like the Scarlet Ninja-to.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Moonheart said:

:cry: my eyes...

The goggles do nothing!
    The forum learnt Prismatic Rays! My eye sight is doomed!!! :lol:
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Moonheart said:

The forum learnt Prismatic Rays! My eye sight is doomed!!! :lol:

More like Prismatic Wall, you can't read the topic without going through it.
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228

@Philhelm

It doesn't work. That's it. If you don't believe it, try.

You was saying?
    @Aewyrven, @FinneousPJ was talking of a Staff of the Magi, not of other staves...
    edited April 2016
    Use. Magic. Device.

Too lazy to rainbow my little apocalypse pony it.

You can backstab with staffs.... more of a donk punch... but can. Including that one.umd just let's the thief wield it since it's class restrict.
    edited April 2016
    Only using g the staff for the invisible anyways... it's not that great for backstabbing with. Use rynn. At least that does damage.

If you want it for the dispel, well you are already meta and should be breaching with Edwin. .. or aerie... or nalia...before anyone is even close... and dumping traps with yoshi.

Edit. I ass/u/me this is on YOUR char. Ofc.

Double edit: and it's for protections if on the dispel.... if you hit.... level dependant...so it's more of a debut staff than a stab staff.... especially since by the time you get over and because your thac0 is kinda crap.... you could have just killed it... use rynn....

I used it more for after I did a sequencer agro up invisible dump agro.... trying to stab... it's only a +2.... again... use rynn. It's not an attack staff. It's a where's Waldo staff.
    Aewyrven said:

Use. Magic. Device.

Too lazy to rainbow my little apocalypse pony it.

That's about 10 posts that people explain that EVEN with UMD, you can't backstaff with a staff that a thief can't use without UMD..............