Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    Hey, just wanted to show my appreciation for a wonderful tool, did a recommended install last night with some tweaks of my own and everything seemed to work fine (although the Animus sentient weapon link is broken).

It really takes the pain out of modding, as I'm on 2.0 im fairly sure I'll encounter some bugs, where should I report these? The mod pages or here?

Only other thing to mention was that I couldn't find the hard times mod, any reason?
  • DmxDexDmxDex Member Posts: 21
    so why in the setup does it give you the option to do a setup for baldurs gate ehanced edition? they seriously need to remove those options confusing people.
  • KantuKantu Member Posts: 3
    @ALIEN Ah, I see. Bought the game from GOG, they haven't yet updated to version 2.0. Thanks for the help.

• ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @DmxDex Because this tool is called "Big World Setup" and it can install mods for enhanced edition games. You asked about Big World Project which is entirely different tool ;)

@jobby Definitely the mod pages, report broken links (or those which can't be downloaded via tool) to the mod authors.

@Kantu GoG/Steam version are currently broken for modding if you buy expansion(BG1EE + SoD), so even if you do an update to 2.0 you can't install mods.
  • KantuKantu Member Posts: 3
    @ALIEN Only using it for BG2: EE not for BG1: EE nor it's expansion.
    @ALIEN Cheers will do, also meant to mention that kits appear to be broken in 2.0, tried the Duskblade and the elf fighter/mage one to no avail.
  • CharriuCharriu Member Posts: 22
    Just wanted to drop a big THANK YOU to you and all the people behind this project. You can't imagine how big a help you were for all these years.

While I'm at it. Will this still be updated?

http://www.shsforums.net/files/category/72-big-world-project/

or is the gitrepo now the place to go to?

And where in the gitrepo can I find the pdf file with all the changes?
    edited April 2016
    @Charriu Nothing at shsforums.net can be updated because download system is broken, ask @LiamEsler
    Big World Setup is not the same thing as "big world project" - it's managed by http://www.shsforums.net/user/4689-leonardo-watson/ and he don't use git. He just updating his project alone.

P.S. You welcome! Also for @dabus @agb1 and @Silent :)
    edited April 2016
    Hey just wanted to note a couple of things I've noticed in my latest play through:

I included a rep tweak which doesn't seem to be working, I now get no reputation increases (although the reputation banter still fires when I should recieve one) not sure if this is related to the temple rep increases that have been mentioned. I will check which mod it is and post in the appropriate forum after work.

A minor quest from ascalons quest pack also doesn't seem to be functioning properly. SPOILERS

The gnoll chieftain is supposed to drop a ring belonging to Aaron, instead I get a standard firedance ring which Aaron does not recognise. I'm not too sure where to report this as all I can find on google is in German, I'll have another look tonight.
    Post edited by jobby on
  • wsmithjrwsmithjr Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2016
    Wanted to say thanks for all the work that has obviously been put into Big World Setup.

That said, while I finally got a successful install, the process was incredibly painful. To start with, I'm not sure I really understand the difference between the Big World Project and Big World Setup, but perhaps that's me. If somebody could be kind enough to post some links to help in this, it would be appreciated.

While my last install worked, it took about 8 tries to get it to run at all. I think one of the problems is that things don't seem to sync up nicely between the Setup program and the Install batch files. I had no problems using the Setup program to select what mods I wanted, to back up, restore, etc. All that works great. The issue I had was once the Setup program ended, the documentation didn't seem to match up with the screens I was seeing in the actual Install part of the process. Maybe I'm just being dense but I'm still not sure I understand the Install.bat SETTINGS screen. I get 4 choices:

1) Choose a pre-selection
    2) Filter mods
    3) Individual.bat
    4) quit

Where is the option to install "The files I already selected myself in the Setup program"? Selecting option #1, it asked me if I wanted to use some of the pre-selections that appeared in the Setup program. Option #2 asked me to sort out types of mods. Option 3 has a huge warning on it about screwing everything and wasting your time ... which I did about 8 times by NOT selecting option #3. And of course, I didn't want to quit.

The last time I actually got it to work by selecting Option #3 and it ran and it's wonderful. That said, it did not include at least a few of the mods I had actually selected in the Setup program. I DID in fact alter the INDIVIDUAL.BAT file ... to change some of the options that I didn't like. For instance, I didn't want the option to be allowed to change armor in combat. However, I certainly did not delete any lines of code. Yet, one of the mods that I selected, CDTWEAKS, was not installed. There is no mention of it ANYWHERE. It did not try to download it, it didn't tell me it was missing, it doesn't appear in any logs, etc. The only place it appears is in my selection.ini file in the Big World Setup folder where I have the Setup program. I'm not so much complaining about that one file missing ... though if there is something wrong and it's missing, I would love to have it included. But, there seems to be a disconnect between the various parts of the system, and the documentation that I've seen just confuses things further by telling you to do things in a way differently than I'm given options for. There are a fair number of differences between my WEIDU log and the list of mods that I had selected.

So, am I just way off the mark and not understanding things? It just doesn't make sense to me how things are working and the documentation that I've seen doesn't appear all that helpful.

I don't mean to offend anybody with my "ranting". It's obviously a HUGE amount of effort has gone into this. And I just *know* it would be great if I could really figure it out and understand what is happening.

Thanks for any help, assuming I'm actually making any sense.

One last thing ... I got a German language mod in the mix. I saw another post that said to filter for those but I really can't figure out how to do that in the Setup program.
    edited April 2016
    Where is the option to install "The files I already selected myself in the Setup program"? Selecting option #1, it asked me if I wanted to use some of the pre-selections that appeared in the Setup program. Option #2 asked me to sort out types of mods. Option 3 has a huge warning on it about screwing everything and wasting your time ... which I did about 8 times by NOT selecting option #3. And of course, I didn't want to quit.The last time I actually got it to work by selecting Option #3 and it ran and it's wonderful.
    Which "Option" are you talking about? You don't run any BWP install.bat thing when you use BWS.
    So, am I just way off the mark and not understanding things?
    Simple answer: yes
    I admire that BWS/BWP terminology, the process of installing mods, the GUI and the description can be confusing but no amount of text/instructions/guides/videos can make things better for such complicated process of installing Mods. I have one simple answer for it: read and follow the guide at the first page exactly how it's described:

Before you begin:
    - reinstall you games/prepare clean version of the games
    - run each game at least once (especially after you moved non-EE game to different location) and create a save game
    - quit Steam, all games, game/file editors
    - create backups of each game
    - disable you antivirus.
    - disable User Account Control: Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10, restart Windows
    (added "Reinstall you games/prepare clean version of the games" )
    I think that I move those to installation steps. BWS is only the part of the mod install process and can't do everything.
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    Thanks for your response. As for the "guide" that you mention, are you referring to the first post in this thread? That's the only guide I can find.

Anyway, I started going through and detailing every last step I've taken in the setup. In the process, I believe I have discovered where I've been going wrong.

For Step 3: Choose Your Game ... I was always selecting Baldur's Gate 2 / Big World Project (BWP) Install.bat because it seemed to give the most choice as to what mods to install. Just now checking and selecting Baldur's Gate 2: Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT) Customization I see that the mods are in sub-levels including the options for those mods. I'm not sure how I missed that before but that could very well explain all of my confusion.

So, if I want to play the entire series through in a single game, from BG to ToB, can you confirm that the BGT option is the one I want and *NOT* the BWP option? Regardless, I'll give it another shot tonight and see if that changes my whole outlook on this.

The thing is, the BWP option seemed to be what I wanted, but things never quite matched up with what I was expecting or reading. Anyway, I'll give it a try later and report back.

I do appreciate your time in responding and even when I was ready to throw my computer through the window, I appreciated the time and effort that went into the Setup program. Perhaps it is unfortunate that the names Big World Setup and Big World Project are so similar if the processes are significantly different.

Anyway, thanks again and I'll see how it goes later today.

At least I do have a running installation from yesterday even if it's not *exactly* what I wanted.
    So, if I want to play the entire series through in a single game, from BG to ToB, can you confirm that the BGT option is the one I want and *NOT* the BWP option? Regardless, I'll give it another shot tonight and see if that changes my whole outlook on this.
    Yes, it's the correct option - it will give you full customization of the mods/components. The BWP Install.bat will give you totally different experience. I will try to rename both of them to reduce chance of such confusion.
    edited April 2016
    Thanks again for the help. My installation is still chugging merrily along. I "accidentally" set it to stop for errors so it hasn't finished yet. Should have just set it to continue as there's nothing I can do about them at this point anyway. Just minor stuff that I neglected to notice when I was setting it up.

Anyway, it's very nice to have selected the correct setup options so that it's working the way I expected it to work. I'm looking forward to it being finished. Probably won't be perfect but that's ok.

One thing ... where's the best place to make suggestions. Can't remember at the moment, but there's one mod where you can change the class of Shar-Teel to an Amazon and then select her weapon proficiencies. The installer stopped at that point because it wanted to know if I wanted to keep her weapon procifiences or change them to Amazon proficiences. It would be nice to have that option in the actual check boxes so the installer doesn't have to stop to ask if that's possible. I didn't notice those those options but perhaps I missed them. Once it stops, I can get the details and post them somewhere appropriate.

EDIT: The mod is Turambar Fixes and Tweaks. Option 5001 allows you set the Amazon kit for Shar-Teel but there's no where to set whether you want to change weapon proficiencies or not. What's odd is that I don't see anything in the WEIDU log for that choice, but BWS stopped to ask me.

Thanks again for the help and all the effort put into this tool.
    edited April 2016
    Finally got the setup completed and all is well ... sort of. :blush: There's some errors, but they are obviously my fault, so I'm trying to figure them out.

Thanks for the help.
    Post edited by wsmithjr on
    EDIT: The mod is Turambar Fixes and Tweaks. Option 5001 allows you set the Amazon kit for Shar-Teel but there's no where to set whether you want to change weapon proficiencies or not. What's odd is that I don't see anything in the WEIDU log for that choice, but BWS stopped to ask me.
    It's because the way how the mod is coded - it's impossible for BWS to give such additional options inside GUI.
    For instance, I tried the Virtue mod and it completely wrecked the game for my Paladin. As soon as I killed the first assassin in Candlekeep, my rep dropped by 2 and I lost my Paladin status. Time to re-install.
    If you ignored big red warring and didn't even read readme of the mods/components which you selected, no guide/tool could help you ;)
    edited April 2016
    @ALIEN

Tried a re-install today and the big world fixpack archive cant be found, have I managed to break something or is it just down at the moment?
    @jobby If this link work, it should be no problem
    https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/BiG-World-Fixpack/archive/master.zip
    yet if BWS can'd download it, just download it manually, copy do "Big world download" and "Provide" it during installation.
    @ALIEN Thanks!
    @ALIEN Ok now SCS seems to be broken :S it couldn't initialise the main SCS component.

C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>

ERROR: illegal 4-byte read from offset 712 of 248-byte file HAGAR.CRE
    ERROR: [HAGAR.CRE] -> [override/HAGAR.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("HAGAR.CRE: read out of bounds"))
    ERROR: Failure("HAGAR.CRE: read out of bounds")
    Initialise mod (all other components require this) (Sword Coast Stratagems) was not installed due to errors.

You can try to repair the problem and start the installation of the component
    again. In this case please select "retry" after the repair.
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    So dumb question, I've used the BWS to install mods to BGEE, do I just start the game as normal through the beamdog client, or is there a specific way to start the game now that it's modded using this tool?
    I start it as normal unless you have it install in a new folder in which case it can create a shortcut for you.
    edited April 2016
    I have a comment regarding regarding Scales of Balance versus Rogue Rebalancing in the BWS setup. BWS indicates that component 000 of Rogue Rebalancing is preferred to Scales of Balance component 250. There is no component 250 of SoB. The SoB readme indicates that RR is not compatible with component 120 of SoB.

Of course, that in itself presents a problem because there's no component 120 either, but perhaps it means that line of components from 121 to 125 or something.

FWIW.
    @wsmithjr There is no such conflict anymore: http://prnt.sc/atpe5n - you probably have old version of BWS which was released when SoB had component 250.
    @ALIEN Thanks. Thought it auto-updated. I'll get newer version.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    there is an autoupdate isn't there? The past couple times I've run it I think it's given an error though. So there's no autoupdater and just go back for updates then?
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I think the auto-updater isnt working correctly and it's better to re-download each update from bitbucket, correct me if I'm wrong @ALIEN ?
    @smeagolheart @lansounet Unfortunately, auto-update doesn't work how it should and it's painful to fix it. I hope that I will finally find free time and will to do it.
  • BennettBennett Member Posts: 14
    First thanks for providing this brilliant tool! :)

I was just wondering where I should send information about changes in mod versions to?

The mod Garrik: Tales of a Troubadour is in version 1.26 at the moment on the mithrandir website:
    http://mirandir.baldursgateworld.fr/garrick-tt/
    BWS only accepts 1.24 it seems.

Also the same issue seems to be with the SentrizealAvatarPack which the creator have changed to version 1.1 at the Sentrizeal website:
    http://www.sentrizeal.com/pst_7.htm
    Again it seems that BWS only accepts version 1.0

Both of the old versions that BWS accepts are no longer available on their creators websites (atleast not so that they are easy to find) so they cannot be used instead.

I hope this is not the wrong place to write this and also hope I am allowed to link to their websites in here.