Skip to content

Basic rules

LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
Well, BG is AD&D 2nd Edition, without all PHB options (like no non-weapon proficiencies), some rules additions from sourcebooks (like the kits from the "complete" classes series), disregarding other rules from the same sources (like no ranger/bards and bard/druids from the complete bards), and introducing some stuff from 3rd edition like sorcerers and monks (though some of that actually is based on 1st Ed). Basically it's some 2.5 Edition.

Well, I have a huge shelf of old AD&D books as well as 3rd and 3.5 Edition books (ahem, and Pathfinder stuff), as well as some CDs like Core Rules + Evermore Expansion or FR Atlas, along with loads of PDFs on my HD (which is completely ok since I DO own the genuine paper originals), but, this might not apply for many other players.

So what P&P rules IS BG:EE actually based on? Since 2nd Ed is not published anymore for quite some time, is there a chance that Wizards of the Coast might allow the devs to publish the rules that are supposed to be the backbone of the game - at least for the betatesters to be? After all you can't betatest rule behaviour if you don't know what the rules are supposed to be.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I guess the rules they use are the ones present in the manuals.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    What rule system will be used for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition?
    - 2nd Edition D&D Rules.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9/faq#latest

another reason to make FAQ Thread steaky
    Lunever
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    More specifically, house-ruled 2nd Ed. AD&D with a few elements borrowed from 3rd Ed., adapted to 2nd Ed. and house-ruled. Quite messy.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    More specifically, house-ruled 2nd Ed. AD&D with a few elements borrowed from 3rd Ed., adapted to 2nd Ed. and house-ruled. Quite messy.
    Is it the result of one of cespenar recipes??

Is it the result of one of cespenar recipes??
    I'm afraid so.
  • brixbrix Member Posts: 43
    WotC is very strict with licences.
    I guess that new games could only be made with 5E, with is not a bad thing judging from the playtest.
    It has a nice old school feeling, and could feel like a 2.5 game
    @brix - you're making me curious. I'm not a big fan of 3rd Ed., and I have an hydiosyncratic inborn dislike for 4th Ed. so if 5th ed. was really a "back to the roots" thing, I couldn't but rejoice.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Imho the 5th Edition is a try to adress, that many people (like me) prefer Pathfinder rather than the 4th Edition.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2012
    Any links you guys can recommend that detail 5E's back to rootsness?
    Linkies:
    Playtest: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnDNext.aspx
    Discussions: www.enworld.org

smeagolheart
    @AndreaColombo
    One design goal of 5E is to please old school gamers AND newer gamers.
    It's modular. You can use the basic rules to play a nice, quick and easy kind of 2.5 like game.
    If you want to have a more 3E or even 4E feeling you can use optional rules.
    Potential. I like that. Let's see how it turns out :-)
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I've played a liiittle 2nd, a lot of third and a little fourth and third is by far my favorite. 2nd had me confused with overly elaborate rules, while fourth felt like somebody took an Excel sheet, balanced out all the numbers, tagged some names on abilities and called it a rule system.

If fifth is taking the best of all (because 4th did have some good ideas), I'm very curious to see what it's like.
    Plus, it means that video games made with the 5th Ed rules can be a lot like 3rd edition due to the freedom of the system.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    By using the Gestalt-rules from the Unearthed Arcana 3.5 I got back my 2.5 multiclass feeling, and even when proceeding to Pathfinder my campaigns kept that element.
    Unearthed Arcana was a pretty good manual if there ever was one in 3.5 :-)
    Lunever