Skip to content

[SPOILER] Quest: Dwarves of Dumathoin

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
I have problems progressing in the quest "Dwarves of Dumathoin".
1. I cut down the lich and got his phylactery, but how do I destroy it?
2. How do I open the door at x=2310 y=2274? It says there is a mechanism to the north west but I am apparently blind :I

Thank you :)
Post edited by Buttercheese on

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    OK, I found it:
    The phylactery goes into the fire in the burning room on the very east end of the map and the lever for the door is on the throne in the large room to the north.

HOWEVER, my questlog is still telling me that the phylactery needs to be destroyed even though I got the exp and the exit of the area is still sealed :(

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    If it's reproducible, please file a bug and we'll take a look at that.
    Buttercheese
  • WilddreddWilddredd Member Posts: 8
    Okay, seriously, I've been running around this map for over an hour, to avail...
    ...reloading every time I run out of that anti-lich gem. Why, oh why, can't I find where to put phylactery? I already activated the throne, but I see no burning room to speak of, and absolutely nowhere to put this thing.

Somebody, please help!
    Oh thank goodness, I knew posting would make me magically find it (in the West). I knew there must be a room back there, and I had already tried several times to walk that way.... but it only worked this last time. :p Whew, back to playing properly!
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Illydth
    Thank you, but reloading fixed it apparently o.o
  • KirowKirow Member Posts: 10
    Is it just me, or has anyone else not been able to finish this quest? I'm not sure how to open that door, or what sliding the throne did?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited April 2016
    That was a fun quest!

Edit: Dumb Vanilla...
  • KirowKirow Member Posts: 10
    Any luck anyone?
  • ButteredToastButteredToast Member Posts: 16
    Kirow said:

Any luck anyone?

What door are you having issues opening? As long as you complete all the puzzles, everything should open up ok! While the puzzles and layout is pretty spread out, and the rooms you have to go to are fairly sporadic, the progression of the dungeon is pretty linear.
  • jharhedjharhed Member Posts: 5
    Stupid pillars!!!

I know it has to do with the symbol on the floor. I've tried the obvious, starting with the pillar with the W's on their side and going clockwise. That seems to work except the door never unlocks. Going counter clockwise just gets me up to my ass in various memphits. Am I starting with the wrong pillar?

I guess I need someone to break this down for me "Barney style".
  • LtLukoziuzLtLukoziuz Member Posts: 21
    There is a book which tells you the key to it.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    It talks about Lich seasons.

Rathenau

There is a book which tells you the key to it.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    It talks about Lich seasons.

Yeah, each pillar represents a season. You need to activate each pillar in the correct order to unlock the next room. I didn't find the book, and simply stumbled through it via trial and error so I can't say for sure how the book relates to it. I also dont remember the correct order off the top of my head :/
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    how the hell do u kill the lich. i read the hard to read tomes. still dont get it.
    booinyoureyes
    edited April 2016

how the hell do u kill the lich. i read the hard to read tomes. still dont get it.

[Spoiler]After you first find the lich (right after the cutscene of him getting turned,) head back out to where the dwarves and the giant (if you saved him) are, and speak with the guy who asked you to find Coldhearth. He'll give you an item that should help kill him...temporarily. After he's down, like any lich in the D&D realm, you have to find and destroy his phylactery, as he'll keep coming back to life until you do so.[/spoiler]
    Buttercheese
  • LtLukoziuzLtLukoziuz Member Posts: 21

After you first find the lich (right after the cutscene of him getting turned,) head back out to where the dwarves and the giant (if you saved him) are, and speak with the guy who asked you to find Coldhearth. He'll give you an item that should help kill him...temporarily. After he's down, like any lich in the D&D realm, you have to find and destroy his phylactery, as he'll keep coming back to life until you do so.
    Hmm, didn't even know you could get a helper against the lich. Breach works wonders against it, at least on Core rules. Have two breaches memorized, cast one when it appears and second one as soon as it recasts protections and it falls easily. After that, as ButteredToast said, you need to quickly snatch the phylactery and destroy it fast. Also, if you don't have Death Ward by the time it casts Time Stop, you're pretty much guaranteed dead.
  • DillicDillic Member Posts: 16
    This is Larloch's crypt, isn't it?

I remember it was around that area, and as soon as Shadow King was mentioned, bam!

Funny thing. That damn Lich wiped my party with a death spell just as I was about to down him (which was the last time, I'm guessing).
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Dillic said:

This is Larloch's crypt, isn't it?

I remember it was around that area, and as soon as Shadow King was mentioned, bam!

Funny thing. That damn Lich wiped my party with a death spell just as I was about to down him (which was the last time, I'm guessing).

I thought they said "King of Shadows" as in the BBEG of NWN2.
  • DillicDillic Member Posts: 16
    Pretty sure it was Shadow King.

Found some references to a "L" character in the area and looking for some location nearby (this reference wasn't in the crypt), which according to da wiki, is meant to be Larloch.

Since the crypt is pretty much Lich 101, I'm guessing it's meant to be Larloch's.
  • DraconusDraconus Member Posts: 24
    Has anyone done the 5 amulets for the Lich? I have 2 and cannot find anymore.
    Draconus said:

Found them you have to kill the dwarves to get the last 3
  • InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    Draconus said:

Let me know if you have a problem turning them in, I encountered a bug when I did.

He offers you an item of great power, but you won't receive it unless you pick certain options, and the lich won't help you later. If you pick (1 > 2), Edwin will interject, the lich says he gives the item but doesn't, and he also offers to help with Shining Lady.
  • MusickerMusicker Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing the same problem as the OP. I did what is supposedly needed to finish the quest, but the entrance is still barred, and my journal still says I need to destroy the phylactery.
    Draconus said:

Draconus said:

Found them you have to kill the dwarves to get the last 3
    Dammit, he just gave me the hammer and told me to get out of his sight so I killed him and destroyed his phalactry, is it possible to get Edwin in your party?
  • InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    edited April 2016
    Dammit, he just gave me the hammer and told me to get out of his sight so I killed him and destroyed his phalactry, is it possible to get Edwin in your party?

He should run past you into the Flaming Fist camp when you first start walking up the path in the area, would check to see if he's there. Not sure if you need to have used him in BG1 for him to appear or not.
  • PheonixPheonix Member Posts: 1
    I was unable to find all five amulets. I have 3 from the dwarves. 1 from the camp (?). Any Help!
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    How do i destro the philactery?
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage

Check all over that floor Shapiro...there's a room down there that just begs to be explored...so very unlike the cold dead lich...
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Dillic said:

Pretty sure it was Shadow King.

Found some references to a "L" character in the area and looking for some location nearby (this reference wasn't in the crypt), which according to da wiki, is meant to be Larloch.

Since the crypt is pretty much Lich 101, I'm guessing it's meant to be Larloch's.

You're right that there are references to Larloch, but I don't think this his crypt. 1) it's supposed to be on the other side of the river. 2) his crypt is supposed to be whole city, with lots and lots of undead.
    Pheonix said:

I was unable to find all five amulets. I have 3 from the dwarves. 1 from the camp (?). Any Help!

If I remember correctly: 3 dwarves, 1 from a zombie fighting the dwarves, and then 1 from a container somewhere in the dungeon... can't remember which though, sorry.
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2016
    Can anyone give me some tips on
    how to take him down the first time? Nothing I do effects him and I don't have Breach. :(

I have me (Cavalier), Minsc, Dynaheir, Safana, Corwin and the Goblin.
    Post edited by Vyrulisse on