Skip to content

So Siege of Dragonspear breaks most of mod compatibilities

2»

Comments

• VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108

For Steam/GOG users, there is a ModMerge tool from @ScottBrooks that will merge the DLC content into the main game folder:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use

Does this mean I can start installing a few of my mods again or are there still issues that need to be worked out? I used the tool and it ran nicely, everything is working in regards to SoD but I've yet to install mods yet.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    For the most part, yes. There may be some mods that have issues, of course.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Thels said:

@Mirandel: It should work. If you have Steam or GoG, you need to use the modmerge application, but then you should be able to install most of the mods.

A couple of mods will currently fail to install properly, as SoD changed the contents of the file they're targeting, and the mod doesn't know how to properly address this new file. These mods will need to be updated.

Also, once Weidu 240 is out, all weidu mods need to be updated to properly install on sod in addition to bgee.

Thanks!
    My understanding was that modmerge first combined SoD with already installed BG1EE. But if it works with SoD alone - it's great! Will try for myself then.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited April 2016
    @Vyrulisse: The modmerge tool makes it so that all mods that work on Beamdog BGEE+SoD also work on Steam/GoG BGEE+SoD. For the majority of the mods, this should be enough.

For certain mods, the changes introduced by either 2.0 or SoD break some things. For example, 2.0 updates the Wyverns in Coran's quest, which caused problems with related components in BG1NPC and BG1UB, which AstroBryGuy fixed. These and other mods may have other small things that break.

SoD also changes the format of certain files, preventing mods that patch those files from installing, as Weidu doesn't know how to deal with the changes. Mods that target kits or character sounds seem to suffer from this, mostly.

In both of these cases, the problems apply to both the Beamdog version and the Steam/GoG version (with the modmerge tool). So you need to wait for the mod owner to update the mod for any of the platforms, and it should then work for all of the platforms.

There will be another problem creeping up when Weidu 240 hits, but don't worry about that for now, if you're not a modder.

@Mirandel: If you have the Beamdog version, you have two separate games: BGEE and BGEE+SOD. Since BGEE+SOD includes the base game, there's really no point in installing the base game separately.

However, if you have the Steam version (afaik this also applies to the GoG version, but I'm not 100% sure), you cannot install SoD separately. It's included as a DLC with the base game. Therefor, it's not possible to have SoD alone. You always have the base game with it.

Either that, or I don't understand your question.
    Vyrulisse
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    You got it right! Now I understand (and I thing GOG version is more like Beamdog version) . Thanks again for help.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    The GOG version also uses a zip file, so it's more like the Steam version than the Beamdog version in that regard.
  • GrunkerGrunker Member Posts: 46

For the most part, yes. There may be some mods that have issues, of course.

So, just to be sure, if I understand it correctly, I can install the ModMerge, then BG1NPC, then ItemRandomiser, and everything should - theoretically - work?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrunkerGrunker Member Posts: 46
    I know, I'm just interested in knowing if any *known* bugs would arise, or if ModMerge + those two mods should theoretically work.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.