Skip to content

[Spoilers] I am hopelessly stuck

Hello all,

I am finding that the journal is quite unclear and I am stuck. I have placed the barrel of BWOOSH, but there is no one at camp that seems to trigger the end of that quest. I have poison, but don't know where to use it in the crusader camps. I have got a ring that marks my devotion to they lady but I don't know if it does anything. I'm hopelessly stuck. Please help?

Comments

• Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    Nevermind, got it. It seems even after hours of playtime and searching, every time I forum post I find the answer! Great game, though!
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2016
    Could you actually expand on what you did?

I seem to be stuck here also, I opted to not use the poison, being the lawful goody goody and all.
    I placed the Bwoosh barrel and the journal now says to report back to the commanders. Talking to Torsin (the only one left there) has no advancement options however.
    Phossey doesn't appear to be anywhere in camp either.

I'm at a loss.
    Am I supposed to actually take that Ogre elevator up into the castle at this point despite the journal telling me otherwise?
    @Stoibs Yeah, this bit is really confusing overall - Beamdog, if you're listening, the journal here could use some changes.

Yeah, you need to go up the elevator with the ogres, or at least I did. There's an odd encounter there that... well go do it and get back to me and we can compare notes
    Okiedokey.
    Cheers. Guess I'll head back next time I play.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Grimo88 @Stoibs

We're listening...and we take pride in that fact too.

We can go about this one of two ways:

1) One of you can open a bug report about the journal being unclear after the bwoosh placement about what to do next
    2) Or I can.

If I do it, it won't show up in the public tracker visible to everyone. It's up to you guys, but if you're getting confused on this part, it's worth putting a ticket in and letting us look at the progression of the journal from that point.

After placing the barrel of bwoosh you're supposed to progress up to the doors near the campfire and into the Warrens...and from there up into DSC.

The problem is the Bwoosh quest sidetracks you from the original goal. Remember when you first entered the ASC (Allied Seige Camp), you were asked to meet the 3 leaders (Stonehand, De Lancie and Nederlok). They gave you a quest to get into Dragonspear Castle and figure out what was going on through the Underground River. It doesn't help that the journal entry you get after the Barrel tells you to report back to De Lancie.

The barrel of Bwoosh was a sidequest, the real quest was to find your way into Dragonspear. However, given that you get the Bwoosh and Poison quest AFTER that long dialog, it's not unexpected to miss the fact that you're looking for the Entrance to DSC and instead go looking for what to do with the barrel.
    Illydth said:

@Grimo88 @Stoibs

We're listening...and we take pride in that fact too.

We can go about this one of two ways:

1) One of you can open a bug report about the journal being unclear after the bwoosh placement about what to do next
    2) Or I can.

If I do it, it won't show up in the public tracker visible to everyone. It's up to you guys, but if you're getting confused on this part, it's worth putting a ticket in and letting us look at the progression of the journal from that point.

After placing the barrel of bwoosh you're supposed to progress up to the doors near the campfire and into the Warrens...and from there up into DSC.

The problem is the Bwoosh quest sidetracks you from the original goal. Remember when you first entered the ASC (Allied Seige Camp), you were asked to meet the 3 leaders (Stonehand, De Lancie and Nederlok). They gave you a quest to get into Dragonspear Castle and figure out what was going on through the Underground River. It doesn't help that the journal entry you get after the Barrel tells you to report back to De Lancie.

The barrel of Bwoosh was a sidequest, the real quest was to find your way into Dragonspear. However, given that you get the Bwoosh and Poison quest AFTER that long dialog, it's not unexpected to miss the fact that you're looking for the Entrance to DSC and instead go looking for what to do with the barrel.
    Thanks for your awesome professionalism. As I am really not sure how to do a bug report, would you mind doing it?

Thank you again
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Actually @Grimo88 thank you.

There are several of us out in the various communities (Steam, Forums here, Gog, etc.) trying to make our presence felt and help our users.

The thanks we get from our customers both when they enjoy the game and through helping them through issues is a large part of the reason many of us keep at this...even with...stuff...
    edited April 2016
    Yeah that all seems to make sense now.
    Reopening the previous entries of the journal did remind me that infiltration of the castle was also a requirement, though in-theme I question the wisdom of tilting my hand and letting the enemy know of my infiltration - subsequently causing them to realistically seek out any sabotage that we did. Made more sense to me to set the explosive and/or poison and *avoid* confrontation.

Speaking of bugs though I encountered another one when entering the castle and engaging in the encounter there.
    Two achievements unlocked simultaneously after beating back Hephernaan, 'Hasty Retreat' and 'Defender' - The latter being an obvious error.
    The description of 'Defender' is kind of a spoiler of an event that occurs later on, and obviously shouldn't at all have been unlocked for me at that point. Kind of ruined it for me to be honest.
    (Noticed a bunch of Steam achievement errors actually, got the 'String Cutter' one which spoiled the presence of a mind flayer when killing that Dragon Sister lady and before I had explored the rest of that area, and several others which have both a good and evil resolution for merely doing the good path only. 'I'm A Wizard and That Looks...' implies that I killed those imprisoned crusaders despite freeing them, and there was another pertaining to Madele's outcomes which again, I have both achievements of despite only picking one path and not reloading)
    Grimo88 said:

I have poison, but don't know where to use it in the crusader camps.

Up the Ogre Elevator I saw some interactable water storage tanks in one of the store rooms.
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    Stoibs said:

Up the Ogre Elevator I saw some interactable water storage tanks in one of the store rooms.

Food too. In the room with the random kobold or goblin or imp or whatever it was. Don't think these quests are required though, I never did the water part.
    Yeah poisoning seems to be moreso evil aligned side quests.
    Heck at endgame,
    *not* poisoning anything certainly helped me in my 'Chrono Trigger' styled here's the good things I did defence. :P
  • mewp12mewp12 Member Posts: 61
    What journal?
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    Weird, I placed the barrel in the spot where Corwin told me to, yet in Chapter 11, conversations seem to indicate I didn't place it...

Side note: this part of the game is pretty confusing. I love all the sidequests, but if you thread slightly wrong, all of a sudden the chapter is in the end-phase and you can't continue with half of the quests... :(
  • DesiderataDesiderata Member Posts: 8
    I just experienced the same "stuck" scenario after placing the Bwoosh barrel.
    Now I know to go back and talk to the ogres at the lift. (I didn't bother talking to them before, and hadn't noticed that was a lift.)
    But the Journal is misleading here. I wasted a lot of time walking around the Coalition Camp trying to find Phossey (and failing) and wondering why Torsin was being snippy with me after doing what I was supposed to do.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Desiderata

It should work better in 2.5. Please, zip and upload your save at support.baldursgate.com so that our QA could help you.