Skip to content

Has the controversy made you more hesitant towards buying Siege of Dragonspear?

Comments

• ZarugalZarugal Member Posts: 51
    Wasn't happy with the way the controversy was handled, however my main reason for not buying are the bugs and the new UI. Waiting for an update to squish the bugs and hopefully offer the ability to use the old UI.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Zarugal said:

Wasn't happy with the way the controversy was handled, however my main reason for not buying are the bugs and the new UI. Waiting for an update to squish the bugs and hopefully offer the ability to use the old UI.

My friend, have you seen the new non beta UI? It is vastly improved and I like it a lot.
  • WhirligigWhirligig Member Posts: 1
    I had somehow missed that this was even out until the noise brought it to my attention. I'll have to dust off the ancient Mac the EEs are on.
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    They couldn't pay me to buy this game manufactured controversy to generate sales.
  • AvariAvari Member Posts: 38
    edited April 2016
    What controversy? The amount of circlejerk people are getting out of this amazes me. People online thinking they are allowed to threaten developers is the real issue and should make some parents doubt the kids they raised.
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    I really don't care about the controversy. I actually find it hilarious to read how people get so upset about two sentences in a game :smiley: Nevertheless, I am able to make up my own mind after I have played the game :smile: almost done! ^^
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    No, but in all fairness: I bought the game on launch (or shortly before that), without the controversy being so much as raised yet, making my vote a pretty much insignificant one. HOWEVER: I'm certain I would have given Beamdog the benefit of doubt and bought it anyway.

No controversy could have been big/strong enough to keep me from getting the game. Maybe, just maybe, if I felt personally offended and/or the game would have been the buggy mess some (obviously biased) reviewers made it out to be, I'd have asked for a refund. The way that it is, some people acted with good intentions but lacked somewhat in farsight.
  • YaeriYaeri Member Posts: 4
    The initial reports had me worried. I searched online for some "offending parts" and those had me quite worried about the writing quality of the game. It wasn't about 'what' they put in the game but 'how' it was implemented. I personally would love more characters with an unusual gender/sexuality/etc in the game but they have to come out of the setting itself, not taken from the real world and tacked on to make some sort of statement. I kept looking for more examples but after a long while it seemed all the fuss was about those same few events. I tried to find out more about the game itself but kept running into the same controversy articles.
    Ultimately I went to youtube and looked at the beginning of a let's play and the game seems fine. The broad brush people paint the entire game with is about a handful of details.

I put it on my steam wishlist, cause I'm still playing through BG1EE and BG2EE.
    I hope lessons have been learnt by the writers/developper to think more about the lore of the setting and that there will be more BG content in the future.

My friend, have you seen the new non beta UI? It is vastly improved and I like it a lot.

I only recall seeing the UI that was teased in the build-up to release. If this has changed could you possibly link it?

I will have to admit to being a bit of a troglodyte over the new UI. The UI in Baldur's Gate 2 is still my favourite game UI of all time, thus I am fairly reluctant to give it up.
  • RoseweaveRoseweave Member Posts: 101
    I struggled with the original BG UI tbh so I'd like to see something new and improved
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291

No the controversy has hardened my attitude and heart against people that associate with or sympathize with GG. I got nothing for them.

Can I get to dislike the let-me-teach-you-good-morals attitude from (some parts of) the text in the game, without getting associated with GG?

In other words: is it possible, for a gamer to think there is a problem, without that gamer immediately landing himself on the "bad team", in your mind?
  • ArcanonArcanon Member Posts: 3
    Voted "Not at all" as I pre-ordered it :p
    Would have bought it anyway, we all need more BG in our lives ^^
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    The so-called "controversy" is only a small part of the game that can be ignored.
    An NPC there, some minor dialogue there.

In the end, I only care if the gameplay and story is good.

As for the UI, my only complaint about it is the Record screen, as I pointed out in an older thread.
    I don't like that AC is buried in Combat Stats instead of making it plainly visible when you hit R.

HP, XP, AC, THAC0 are the most important stuff for a Character Sheet for most classes and characters.
    The Information and Combat Stats tabs need to be merged and remove redundancies, asap.

Right now, it's a mess of information. Prioritization, tidying it up, removing redundancies, make it intuitive.
  • andresandres Member Posts: 15
    XartaX said:

The only people I can see being massively unhappy about this at this point are the SJW's since they're against any kind of constructive dialogue and outcomes that doesn't include "muh victimhood" and "GG'ers are evil incarnate".

This entire situation has proven GG'ers and radical SJWs are just two sides of the same coin.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Dee: Thank you for the very kind offer, but I'm sure you know where my concerns lie. Much depends on Beamdog's next move, and for now I'm content to wait and see.
  • KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
    Even though I get where the people who objected to certain dialog are coming from, I thought the level of controversy it generated was stupid and absolutely ridiculous. People need to learn to let that stuff slide and not take it so seriously. The worst of it warranted, at most, a mere eyeroll.
  • AvlanAvlan Member Posts: 21
    Didn't use the poll since I already bought it.

This is nothing more than a current event "hot topic" that both the SJW's and GG's will exploit to justify their means. Within a few weeks, most people will forget all about this and move on to the next earth shattering politically correct topic that 99% of humanity does not remotely care about.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IakusIakus Member Posts: 36

Bought before the controversy hit. :D

Same.

I will say it will make me more cautious about future purchases though.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I am waiting to see the PC Gamer review. Unless its very bad I will probably wind up getting it
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited April 2016
    There should have been an option for "already bought it", because I have. No, the controversy hasn't put me off playing in the slightest, although I'm still working my eventual SoD character through BG:EE 2.0, and I'm trying to avoid SoD spoilers.

EDIT: Oh, okay, I guess "No, not at all" covers people who already bought SoD.
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179
    I had already beaten the game by the time the argument caught heat. :/
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

I really think "Controversy" needs to be in air quotes. Its not really one no matter how much we try to pretend otherwise.

I like this viewpoint. It sums up the whole stupid thing quite well.
    @Diogenes42
    Hmmm, it's not terrible, but it's not BG2 either.

I'm still going to wait for bug fixes before I purchase SoD, by which time I may have crawled out of my BG2 UI-loving cave..
  • AmahAmah Member Posts: 18
    New here, but a long time bg player from old Europe.

If I give beamdog's EE and SOD a shot in the future, only depends how the whole mess develops.

But the lack of respect on *all* sides is disturbing, users and devs alike. I can only shake my head on all those chaotic/evil chars I've read from/about in the last couple of days.

I have to confess I also had high hopes of a decent addon honouring the original trilogy with new interesting characters and thought about giving up my resistance looking into the EEs because I was still happy with the original games and its presentation of the characters. I always thought the games good as they were with all their flaws.

I've yet to make my mind up if I can accept changing good old Coran, Jaheira or Safana.

I probably won't like it, too bad, then. So forgive me and my quirky English.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Amah said:

I have to confess I also had high hopes of a decent addon honouring the original trilogy with new interesting characters and thought about giving up my resistance looking into the EEs because I was still happy with the original games and its presentation of the characters. I always thought the games good as they were with all their flaws.

At the heart of it, that's what the new expansion is. It's just that a lot of folks can't stand things that don't fit their narrow viewpoint. God forbid there's a minor thing I don't like. People are so spoiled nowadays that they have no idea of how to take things they dislike at face value.