Skip to content

modmerge: merge your Steam/GOG zip based DLC into something Weidu/NearInfinity/DLTCEP can use.

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Thels said:

@Grammarsalad: If you're on GoG, then you can use the tool as well, you just need to perform an extra step.

Go to the folder containing the chitin.key file.
    Create a new subfolder called "dlc" (without the quotes).
    Move the sod-dlc.zip file into this dlc subfolder (do not copy it).
    Download this tool and save it in the folder containing the chitin.key file.
    Run the tool.

Hopefully, ScottBrooks will update the mod so that you no longer need to move the zip file into a dlc folder, but until then, this should do the trick as well.

Thanks for the advice @Thels

I don't actually have a problem. I have the bd version. But, I think the solution, if this is all we are going to get, should be as easy for the user as possible.
    [Deleted User]
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    If I had my way, something like this would be included included in both the gog and steam installs. It would work seamlessly for both, and install itself without the user ever knowing there was anything different (without expertise and investigation)
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    @Ulb : Is it worth to make more "noise" in order to get a statement from Beamdog?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited April 2016
    StefanO said:

@Ulb : Is it worth to make more "noise" in order to get a statement from Beamdog?

I wouldn't hold your breath. Beamdog probably makes most of their revenue through Steam. Badmouthing your biggest distributor isn't usually a good business move.

Note: All of this is a wild-ass guess, of course.
  • TraycorTraycor Member Posts: 33
    Thels said:

@Grammarsalad: If you're on GoG, then you can use the tool as well, you just need to perform an extra step.

Go to the folder containing the chitin.key file.
    Create a new subfolder called "dlc" (without the quotes).
    Move the sod-dlc.zip file into this dlc subfolder (do not copy it).
    Download this tool and save it in the folder containing the chitin.key file.
    Run the tool.

Hopefully, ScottBrooks will update the mod so that you no longer need to move the zip file into a dlc folder, but until then, this should do the trick as well.

This should be put in @ScottBrooks OP. Also, what steps does a GOG user need to take if a new patch is released? Is it just moving the sod-dlc.zip file back out of the new folder?

Thanks!
    I'm seeing that sod-dlc.zip was renamed sod-dlc.disabled. I'm assuming the prepatch steps would be to rename the file and move it back out of the dlc folder... ?
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited April 2016
    @Traycor: ScottBrooks has already said he's going to update the tool to account for GoG file locations, which should eliminate that step entirely. Though I guess until such time, it would help to update his post. For now, I can place it in my post, which is directly underneath it...

As for what happens when the next patch arrives... Safest route would be a complete fresh install. Other than that, hard to say...
    Phælin
    Thanks!
  • DLC_FTLDLC_FTL Member Posts: 2
    This tool is certainly appreciated, but its ridiculous that Beamdog is not responding to the issue officially. The other thread on the main fixes does not even mention moddinig being broken on their biggest platform(s).

I don't get why there is silence on this particular issue when modding has been a part of Baldur's Gate series for such a long time, including EE versions.
    psycros
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    StefanO said:

Does anyone know who's to blame for the steam/gog zip based DLC? And why they did it at all?

Well I know most of the steam games I own with DLC work this way, so I'd say it's a steam issue.
    Any chance we could have the discussion "Why is Beamdog/Steam/GoG doing this?" off to it's own thread, and have this thread focus on proper use of the modmerge tool?
    [Deleted User]illathidWise_Grimwald
  • shawnleongshawnleong Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2016
    Would anyone know how to run the osx binary for modmerge or what program/command I should be using? Been scratching my head when terminal wasn't working for me. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Solved - Figured it was to do with the file permissions. For OSX users having modmerge opening with TextEdit or having the document type being"TextEdit Document" under Get Info.
    1) Open Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
    2) Type the following but do not press enter yet => "chmod +x "
    3) Note the extra space after "+x "
    4) Now drag in modmerge-osx into the Terminal window, the full path should appear
    5) Press Enter
    6) On Right Click > Get Info, the document type should reflect "Unix Executable File" and it should run.
    Post edited by shawnleong on
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Cerevant @Dee @Avenger_teambg So no planed fix for "SoD DLC" breaking mods? Seriously, as a someone who supports EE from the start (you know, BWS?) I'm starting to loosing faith...
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    edited April 2016
    @ALIEN while we can't change how DLC is distributed, Scott did make this tool available which converts the DLC to a moddable format.
    Aedanlolien
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    So let me get this straight.

Are there issues in modding a GOG/Steam versions of the game? Using this tool will make my GOG version of the game moddable? I haven't used the modmerge (yet) and I used only one mod: "tweaks anthology" and it works. Without modmerge.

What is this all about?
    Przemkas said:

So let me get this straight.

Are there issues in modding a GOG/Steam versions of the game? Using this tool will make my GOG version of the game moddable? I haven't used the modmerge (yet) and I used only one mod: "tweaks anthology" and it works. Without modmerge.

What is this all about?

It's only a problem if you have BG1 with SOD installed from GOG or Steam. If you're just using BG1, or if you bought BG1 and SOD from Beamdog, you won't have any problem.
    Phælin
    BillyYank said:

It's only a problem if you have BG1 with SOD installed from GOG or Steam. If you're just using BG1, or if you bought BG1 and SOD from Beamdog, you won't have any problem.

Thank for the heads up. So I take it that all will be fine if I use this modmerge utility with gogish bgee+sod for installing mods?
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    Soo... I assume when patches arrive we just remove the .disabled tag on the sod archive and patch after that? I hope. I can't redownload the entire game every patch. :P
    I just saved the downloaded install files on my computer in a separate folder. Save them for later when you need to do a clean reinstall.
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    Traycor said:

I just saved the downloaded install files on my computer in a separate folder. Save them for later when you need to do a clean reinstall.

I've tried copying a clean install to another folder but Steam for some reason refuses to acknowledge it exists when I try to restore the "backup" and verify game cache... I dunno. Something about Baldur's Gate Steam doesn't like to play nice with it. :) I'll figure it out. If not, the download isn't massive so it's not that big of a concern.
    Przemkas said:

Thank for the heads up. So I take it that all will be fine if I use this modmerge utility with gogish bgee+sod for installing mods?

Yes. But don't forget to move the zip file into the dlc subfolder, as explained in the 2nd post of this thread.

As for Tweaks Anthology, define "works". Does it install properly, or does it actually run properly inside the game. There may be some files that are patched by that mod that aren't in the .zip file, but there are plenty of things that can go wrong. If you have already installed it, I recommend uninstalling it, installing modmerge, then installing it again.
    Phælin
    @Thels, as @BillyYank stated before I need to have SoD installed. Right now it's juts BGEE.
    @Przemkas: Then don't run the tool. It has no use for you.

When you upgrade to SoD, you need to first uninstall your mods, upgrade to SoD, install the tool, then reinstall the mods.
    Phælin
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    As far as the update process goes, I'm guessing but I would recommend renaming sod-dlc.disabled backed to sod-dlc.zip. You could also copy over the chitin key backup, but that should be a tiny download.
    Vyrulisse
    I just purchased SoD on GOG. I installed it and tried to mod it using tweak anthology WITHOUT using the modmerge. I have an elven blade character... seems to work for now, don't know about other mods. I'll probably test this things later.
    Most mods will install fine without modmerge. It's only in playing you'll see the problems. Tweaks is probably mostly safe, but if it added any items, spells or abilities, you should expect the descriptions to be nonsensical.
    The major problem in installing on the non-merged game is the mod installer is adding text to the wrong dialog.tlk. If you have a mod that doesn't add text, it will probably work alright. But anything that adds text will be all messed up.
    PhælinSwifty_Magee
    Cerevant said:

@ALIEN while we can't change how DLC is distributed, Scott did make this tool available which converts the DLC to a moddable format.

@Dee @Cerevant @TrentOster Are you serious? Really, are you serious? I will just say that BeamDog company exist only because of mods and EE exist only because of the BGT! So go to you office dashboard, take a red pen and write "WE BROKE MOD SUPPORT!", then ask every team member if they are ok with it. Then ask developers to find a way to fix it. If you developers don't know how to fix it, FIND THOSE WHO WILL DO IT!

I don't want to hear about "yet another community tool to fix BeamDog terrible, terrible decisions" If the Steam distribution model is the reason of the problem then FUCK STEAM DISTRIBUTION MODEL! This community deserves SOLUTIONS NOT EXCUSES!

If BeamDog don't care about broken mod support, how many things will be fucked-up in the future?

Some things are deal-breaker no matter how good game is, if you still don't see it then ...
    @ScottBrooks Please add support for GoG: sod-dlc.zip is inside main directory where chitin.key is.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Upcoming Patch Preview.
    JuliusBorisov