Skip to content

Is there a road *back to 1.3.20xx*?

fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
edited April 2016 in The Road to v2.0
I have a prayer for you, Beamdog:
Please provide us the files for 1.3.20xx again. Most people - including myself - will upgrade and continue our support once v.2 is stable and the UI is finally landed. But for now it takes the fun out of the game for me - there are too many glitches, too many elements that seem totally out of place to me. Add the problems with save game incompatibility and there's a right old mess.
So, for old times sake... Please give us the option to uninstall the game version 2.0 and reinstall 1.3.20xx. At least for a few months more. Those that already like 2.0 should of course be able to just stay at 2.0. if they wish.
Pretty please?
Post edited by fkirenicus on
nonlinearcoastOrlonKronsteenbizzyd1441ValamirCleaver

Comments

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I second this motion! Please offer the final version of 1.3 as an option.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mf2112
  • SurvivorSurvivor Member Posts: 68
    edited April 2016
    On Steam, under the "Beta" tab you can choose to play with patch 1.3. If you bought your game from beamdog directly, you can contact support (there is a sticky explaining the process) and receive a key for Steam.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited April 2016
    I have no intention of getting Steam, nor do I see the need to do so as long as I've shopped directly from Beamdog. Besides, from what I've gathered from people who tried the beta version of 1.3 provided by Steam, it is... well, not too good, to put it as diplomatic as I'm able.
  • jyskjysk Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2016

1) backup your 1.3 install before updating
    2) restore it and use it as long as you like
    3) profit

Backing up data before major software updates is... I mean it's 2016, people.

Didn't do that? Then:

1) get Steam key
    2) play 1.3 as long as you like
    3) profit

Yes its 2016, so people dont expect to be forced in complete game breaking "updates", without a warning or way to go back.

Also the steam 1.3 downgrade is not working, its simply crashes the game, which has already been reported by lots of people. There is no way atm for people to go back to 1.3 except piracy.
    XKalGotural
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mf2112
  • bizzyd1441bizzyd1441 Member Posts: 14

What was forced? I had to click a button that said "update game." I knew what I was doing.

For GOG I have to go to their site and actually download the whole thing again. (I also keep copies of the compressed archives of each version when I download them, because again, storage is cheap.)

For Steam... well, if you have your Steam client set to automatically update your games... but anyway at least with Steam you can roll back to 1.3, as soon as they fix whatever bug is messing it up.

So yeah, really not sure how anything was forced here.

Steam often automatically updates games when new versions are released. Even if you turn auto-updater off, Steam won't allow you to play your game until you update to the latest version it has. So yes, many people were "forced" to update.
    edited April 2016

For GOG I have to go to their site and actually download the whole thing again. (I also keep copies of the compressed archives of each version when I download them, because again, storage is cheap.)

For GOG files and most other stuff, sure. No problem in keeping installation files. I do so always too. However, I've never seen Beamdog installation files, only the Beamdog installer, which downloads and installs the game when you run it. You can't touch the installation files (well, as far as I know at least), though I daresay it is possible to backup the entire game diretory once it's installed. I wonder though what one should do about e.g. registry settings, which usually are necessary to run the game properly?

As I've said in other posts, I never thought of 2.0 arriving so soon, I thought this was an update just to be able to play SoD.
    So you might say I knew and knew not what I was doing.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited April 2016

What was forced? I had to click a button that said "update game." I knew what I was doing.

For Steam... well, if you have your Steam client set to automatically update your games... but anyway at least with Steam you can roll back to 1.3, as soon as they fix whatever bug is messing it up.

Steam often automatically updates games when new versions are released. Even if you turn auto-updater off, Steam won't allow you to play your game until you update to the latest version it has. So yes, many people were "forced" to update.
    Yes, the option for automatic updates simply controls WHEN an update is applied. If you set it to not automatically update then it will update when you try to play the gamem, instead of when the update is released. There is no way to start the game without completing the update process (You can cancel the update but it will try to update again when you try to play the game again)
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    edited April 2016
    GOG Galaxy grants you the ability to rollback to previous builds. But you got Beamdog version, so... idk, contact the support?
    Przemkas said:

GOG Galaxy grants you the ability to rollback to previous builds. But you got Beamdog version, so... idk, contact the support?

For now they do, in my experience GOG remove old updates periodically.
  • jyskjysk Member Posts: 26
    edited April 2016

So much false information again by you. You cant start a game in Steam without the appliance of the recent updates. Yes, thats forced. Now you probably gonna tell me I should have somehow known that beforehand and should have gone to Steam offline mode or smth like that, *lol*. The lenghts you go to shift the blame from Beamdog to the actual customer is incredible Mr. I-backup-every-game-before-I-apply-updates (I totally wanna see a guy who is backuping GTAV, Far Cry, Battlefield, Total War, Arma, Payday or any other recent 20-60 Gb Game whenever they bring out an update which if you have a normal sized Steam collection is about 3-4 updates every day - you really made me chuckle at the thought of that!).

but anyway at least with Steam you can roll back to 1.3, as soon as they fix whatever bug is messing it up.

So I guess I have to wait to mid 2017? Because thats the speed Beamdog is releasing updates for their horrendly broken games.
    edited April 2016
    Daevelonillathid
    edited April 2016

I dunno, I use an enlightened OS that doesn't require such considerations. :tongue: But I vaguely recall people talking about moving backed-up game folders around on Windows, and the game working.

So, you're not only berating others for not backing up complete installations of games they can't see the installation files proper for, but you *think* it works fine (but you actually don't know!), you're also behaving quite "holier-than-thou" when it comes to others' operating systems? Gee. Nice guy. Extremely subtle, indeed. [/irony>]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

No, it doesn't. THAT FEATURE can be turned off. If you didn't do that, that's your fault. It is not Beamdog's fault that people don't learn how to turn off automatic updates in 2016. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+turn+off+steam+auto+update
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    To be fair, steam was not designed to *not* apply updates. That's the entire point of its framework. To apply updates. You can't blame people for not going through a dozen hidden legacy options that isn't recommended. Not to mention how were these people even supposed to know about it beforehand?
    Swifty_Magee
    edited April 2016

OMG lighten up dude, the OS wars are over.

The only one here who claims superiority and seems keen to go on with OS wars is you.
    edited April 2016

No, it doesn't. THAT FEATURE can be turned off. If you didn't do that, that's your fault. It is not Beamdog's fault that people don't learn how to turn off automatic updates in 2016. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+turn+off+steam+auto+update
    Yes, you can turn that off, but when you start the game it will update to the latest version. You can cancel the update and try to run the game again but it will try to update the game every single time you try to play the game. It won't let you play without updating the game first. Disabling Automatic Updates only stops Steam from immediately updating the game as soon as an update is released, it does not stop Steam forcing you to update when you try to play the game.

You'd think Offline Mode would work... and it might, maybe work if you're offline at the time of the update being released but it does NOT work if the Steam Client has ever been made aware of the updates existence. If Steam is aware of an update for a game than entering Offline Mode won't help, Steam will tell you to go online to download the update and will refuse to let you play that game.

There are a very small number of games on Steam that lack the DRM that forces the game to be launched via the Steam program (Allowing you to launch them via their EXE file without Steam operating/being installed) but the vast majority of games on Steam include this DRM because presumably Valve gives the devs/publishers a discount to the publishing/hosting/distribution costs or take a smaller cut from each sale if they include the DRM.
    Post edited by Franpa on
    edited April 2016
  • bizzyd1441bizzyd1441 Member Posts: 14

wrong. even if you disable the auto-updater, you can't play the game until you update. learn how Steam works before you talk about it.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Saying that there was no warning though, that's really having no shame. There was a sub forum here dedicated to the beta testing of the 2.0 version so claiming that you couldn't know really is pure bs.

There were news on the Steam page of Baldur's Gate saying that SoD would be released on the 31st and 2 minutes of research on the subject would have led you to the update.

If despite all this you got surprised by the update, don't take it on Beamdog or anyone else, just humbly ask for help on how to do it. I have these files backed up myself and I could get around uploading them if needed(not sure about the legal aspect though) but you could have seen this coming so take these advices for the next time.

Baldur's Gate has no DRM even on Steam, you absolutely don't need to start the game through the Steam page, just go to the folder and double clic on baldur.exe.

You need to understand that the game put some files on your computer to keep track of your settings etc and whenever an update comes out, the way these settings are stored changes. Most of the time, the update will include a way to get your old settings in the new format but the other way is not possible so if you install the bgee beta on Steam, you need to first delete the folder in your documents as to not have anything written in a new format that the old game would try to read.
    illathid
    edited April 2016
    As I've said I've been quite inactive in these forums for some time as my 1.3 games mostly have run without problems, and I don't have and don't plan on getting Steam so why I should read anything on Steam that just might have anything to do with BGEE is beyond me.
    Yes - I knew 2.0 was in the works. No - I hadn't any idea that it was just around the corner. I would have thought such an update was described in the patcher, but hey... that hasn't been saying anything remotely up to date since November 2014, has it - other than "the contents in your override folder will be deleted" or some such. I think 2.0 did quite a lot more than that! I patched because I thought it was necessary to play SoD, which I was eager to get... Not so much anymore.

Baldur's Gate has no DRM even on Steam, you absolutely don't need to start the game through the Steam page, just go to the folder and double clic on baldur.exe.

Surprisingly, you're correct. I closed out Steam, ran the game and it did not start Steam and have Steam launch the game so Kudos for Beamdog keeping it DRM free even on Steam.

In regards to the update the main complaint is mostly the changes to the UI and afaik nothing mentioned a public beta except maybe Beamblog and this forum. Iirc the Changelog wasn't available via the Beamdog client prior to committing to installing the update and it wasn't mentioned on the Steam discussions until the day after the patch was released (According to my timezone) so there wasn't really a good means of knowing how extensive the changes were without participating in the beta yourself.

It didn't help matters that the Inventory and Character Record screens were uh, well, the place holders they had weren't very good and they only managed to shoe horn a better place holder for BG1 and SoD right before release of the patch (BG2 still uses Beamdog's placeholder UI, the next patch should bring BG2's UI inline with BG and SoD)
    illathid
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882

Saying that there was no warning though, that's really having no shame. There was a sub forum here dedicated to the beta testing of the 2.0 version so claiming that you couldn't know really is pure bs.

There were news on the Steam page of Baldur's Gate saying that SoD would be released on the 31st and 2 minutes of research on the subject would have led you to the update.

If despite all this you got surprised by the update, don't take it on Beamdog or anyone else, just humbly ask for help on how to do it. I have these files backed up myself and I could get around uploading them if needed(not sure about the legal aspect though) but you could have seen this coming so take these advices for the next time.

You need to understand that the game put some files on your computer to keep track of your settings etc and whenever an update comes out, the way these settings are stored changes. Most of the time, the update will include a way to get your old settings in the new format but the other way is not possible so if you install the bgee beta on Steam, you need to first delete the folder in your documents as to not have anything written in a new format that the old game would try to read.

Believe it or not, people finding their way into these forums are a minority. Most of them don't check for progress everyday.

Though it's interesting to see how many new accounts were made post SoD just to express their concerns.
  • chobOschobOs Member Posts: 9
    Hi Beamdog, v2.0 its bad for me, it should be option to choose v2.0 or v1.3.

I bought BG1 and BG2 cuz i want to play those games in original form on full screen 16:9 and i want to support You, cuz i want to see new things - like SoD or BG3. Why did you change the game that is perfect? Ok, you can do it, but give us a choice! Now I don't want to play BG anymore since version 2.0 came out. I lost my saves (cuz they didn't work when i load them on v1.3), time and money. Yesterday I installed Baldur's Gate from my old CDs.

"Thank you" Beamdog and goodbye.

(Sry for my english, its bad but i hope u unterstand what i want to say.)
    Baptor
    The next patch should fix the issues with returning to v1.3 on Steam.
    alboy
  • chobOschobOs Member Posts: 9
    OK, nvm. It seems v1.3 has been fixed on steam today and works fine. I'm happy :) thx
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    chobOs said:

OK, nvm. It seems v1.3 has been fixed on steam today and works fine. I'm happy :) thx

Um, no it hasn't? I just downloaded and tried it and got the same error I always get.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    @Baptor what is the error ? Did you delete both the Steam files for the 2.0 and the folder in "My Documents" ? (just rename the folder to something like "tmp" ), if you tried using 2.0 and then try going back to 1.3 without making any change, it's not going to work.
    Baptor