Skip to content

Encountering Huge Bug with M'khiin, cannot level up!

fenrirwolfsbornfenrirwolfsborn Member Posts: 13
I just encountered M'khiin in the game and added her to my party for the first time. It gave her 161000 xp and list her as 7th level, but where it says next level under xp there is a -1. Also in grey it says "ready to level up" to the right of the character screen, but the button to press to level up is not activated and I thus cannot level her up. Also, it lists her as having a 4th level spell yet says she can cast 0/0 4th level spells per day. This is a major bug that effectively prevents me from having this new character in the party if she cannot level up and gain in power. The only other bug I have encountered so far is that settings like selecting classic selection circles keep reverting back to the new ones.

Comments

• fenrirwolfsbornfenrirwolfsborn Member Posts: 13
    Still having this problem. tried to recruit her later, she had 200000 xp but was still only 7th level and could not level up. Has this happend to anyone else?
  • Quill_ArmguardQuill_Armguard Member Posts: 53
    I cannot help you but I have two different problems with shamans. First, I cannot create a main character that is a shaman, it does not allow me to pick weapon proficiencies (none are listed). Second, M'khiin's summons don't move. I can't give them commands, and they don't attack on their own. I have a clean installation of BG (no mods) on ubuntu/steam. Any suggestions anyone?
  • Incantus89Incantus89 Member Posts: 28
    Are you both using the steam version? Have spent at least 10 or so hours into SoD and I've not run into any gamebreaking bugs, I am using the beamdog launcher version tho.
    Other than this my game runs smoothly
  • clos4lifeclos4life Member Posts: 26
    I can confirm the same bug in GOG version as well.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Is M'khiin currently level drained? I suspect that might be the problem
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    I've continued playing without m'khiin so I don't have a save any longer that is close to where I recruit her. I did still have a save where one spirit is summoned that I cannot move. I use Ubuntu 14.04 with steam. Also, I re-installed bg1 and SOD once more and this time I can create a shaman main character. I did not change anything so I have no explanation for the difference.
    edited April 2016
    edited April 2016
    Here are my save files before and after I add her. As you can see she cannot level up and her xp to next level is -1.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited April 2016
    hi

@Quill_Armguard
    Thank you. :) I'll upload your save to the report.

I hate saying this (it's like asking if your printer is plugged in), but her spirits won't move unless there are enemies nearby. You also can't control them like you can with other summonables: they should attack on your own if M'Khiin is close enough to the enemy. Are you having M'Khiin stand closer to enemies when you summon?

I went nearby the zombies then began to summon spirits. That doesn't mean anything: only that it works in my version but not yours.

Yeah, going closer made no difference earlier. But since I can now create shamans and i could not before, I will re-test it tomorrow.
    Yeah, this game is simply too buggy to play now. I just lost 6 hours of gameplay and I am furious due to another bug. I am playing on Throne of Bhaal Difficulty, but it keeps reverting back to Insane difficulty. And once it reverts back to Insane you cannot choose Throne of Bhaal again without starting a new game. I just noticed that 6 hours of gameplay ago was the last save that was Throne of Bhaal difficulty. so I have to replay 6 hours over again if I want to do Throne of Bhaal. It is outragous. Can't recruit a main character and have them level, can't play a difficulty setting that I want to. I tried to fight the *minor spoiler* green dragon protected from poison and still got poisoned to death from his breath. *Minor spoiler* I went back to the Flaming Fist camp when I was ready to get their help to attack the crusader camp but the general I am supposed to talk to is not around, so I have to attack with only Kalhid and the fort defenders. Yeah. I am going to quit playing the game and have them work out the kinks before I come back to it. Here is that upload you wanted.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    she keeps repeating "i smell goblin, dead goblin etc" in the tunnel map with the myconids... how do i shut her up? (it's after the goblin encounter)

Yeah, going closer made no difference earlier. But since I can now create shamans and i could not before, I will re-test it tomorrow.

You can create shamans now? Should I say that the bug I put up (22352) is not an issue any more or possibly not an issue?
    yes, I mentioned it in this thread earlier. I reinstalled a third time and the game seems to function better, overall, less bugs. Still have crackling sound but no problems in character creation any longer. Now let's see if I forgot to plug in that printer...., or perhaps the printer arrived without a cord
    edited April 2016
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    edited April 2016

@simples Could you post a screenshot of that? There's a similar bug report up here (22295) where she repeatedly says another line ("what's this?") in the same area. It may be related.

how do you take screenshots again? anyway, short explanation: it's basically the same thing, but it happened on the map before (with the great oak etc) just after the goblin encounter. i tried reloading multiple times to get different outcomes, but they all did the same. she keeps repeating the line "i smell goblins, dead goblins, best kind" over and over, so it's basically impossible to do anything at all. i decided to just leave her in the corner of the map. since she can't see me, she can't initiate dialogue

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I'm not an expert, but isn't it unusual for a corrupted download to do anything other than make the program not run at all?

@fenrirwolfsborn Yeah, the Bhaal difficulty setting is a known issue. :( I'm still hoping for a hotfix.

I'll ask about the green dragon breath poison attack.
    I'll make a ticket about the general not being there. Could you give me a save where you are in Troll Claw Woods and Lieutentant Otilda is not there. (Reported as 22483.)

You forgot to upload the pic with M'Khiin at -1 xp. Could you try again?

@simples Could you post a screenshot of that? There's a similar bug report up here (22295) where she repeatedly says another line ("what's this?") in the same area. It may be related.

@Quill_Armguard I've changed the 'can't select shaman pips' bug as potentially 'not an issue' for now.

What's that about a crackling sound? I don't see a ticket up for that, except for Mac (voice) and Windows (video).

I mentioned it before:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50626/sound-stutters-what-can-i-do#latest It's not exactly game breaking but a nuissance
  • VargnattVargnatt Member Posts: 42
    Having 'i smell goblin' evry two seconds after killing goblin raider group. Is there a way to fix M'khiin? 'cause she's great, i like her, it would be sad to kick her from party :(
  • VargnattVargnatt Member Posts: 42

Does kicking her out then taking her back in help?

Nope :(
    Any word on the not leveling bug? Her experience keeps going up but the level up button remains grayed out and the -1 is still up. Anyone found a work around? I tried dismissing and summoning again via console but the problem remains

clos4life said:

Any word on the not leveling bug? Her experience keeps going up but the level up button remains grayed out and the -1 is still up. Anyone found a work around? I tried dismissing and summoning again via console but the problem remains

It looks like Richard has taken a look at it. He thinks it may be due to invalid or corrupted files. Could you take a screenshot of the character sheet so we could upload it to the bug ticket?

If you're using Beamdog, Richard recommends you
    Close the game
    Run the launcher
    Right-click the Siege of Dragonspear line.
    Select 'Open Game Location'
    Note which folder is highlighted, e.g. 00806
    Locate the corresponding Beam and Status files e.g. 806.Beam and 806.Status
    Delete the Beam and Status files.
    Close the launcher
    Restart the launcher
    This should verify the install and update any invalid or corrupted files.

I am using GOG version. Not sure how to try and apply this solution to GOG version. That being said, I finally had the time to upload the screenshot.