Skip to content

2.0 deleted all my saved games - why?

2»

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    What's sad is that after an organized and blatant effort to sink beamdog, I'm not taking all of these outlandish bug reports seriously. Especially when they come from known trolls like roseweave. It just smells like yet another attempt to ruin a company that these people have a crusade against.
    renbear
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    @Wraith_Sarevok How would proper testing have caught this? It's a problem that's only happened to you and maybe a couple of others out of the thousands of people who've updated to 2.0. There's no way testing would have picked up on this unless they happened to have a test machine that exactly mimicked whatever was present in your setup that caused this happen when you updated.
    00zim00Grum
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    BillyYank said:

@Wraith_Sarevok How would proper testing have caught this? It's a problem that's only happened to you and maybe a couple of others out of the thousands of people who've updated to 2.0. There's no way testing would have picked up on this unless they happened to have a test machine that exactly mimicked whatever was present in your setup that caused this happen when you updated.

Oh LORD you're right, what was I thinking!?

It was my fault that Anonymous hacked Sony and stole my credit card info. And when the Challenger flew up into the sky and went KABLOOEY!! Them astronauts should have been playing more attention.

Thanks for setting the record straight.
    Wraith_Sarevok

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    ???

Where did you get anything about blame or fault in what I wrote?

I'm just pointing out that it's impossible for any QA shop to have test machines that cover every single possible combination of hardware and software configuration. Even in a corporate setting, where IT is sending out all the machines, we still have instances where 5,000 employees are using the new finance app just fine, but 3 people are having problems. Of course, in that setting, our response is to reimage or replace the machines, which obviously isn't an option here.

The fact of the matter is that thousands have installed this update and their save games are just fine, while you and a couple other people have lost yours. 20+ years of IT experience tell me that the problem occurred because there's something unexpected in your configuration. It may even be a bug in the game update. But a bug that shows up on only 0.01% of all configurations is almost impossible to test for and nearly as impossible to track down.
    Grum
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Does your computer username contain non-ascii characters in it?
    edited April 2016
    http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-first-rule-of-programming-its-always-your-fault/

I suggest you review.

And then follow up with this.

http://swreflections.blogspot.com/2012/03/defensive-programming-being-just-enough.html?m=1

(Psst... oh and your lame memes ain't funny kid. Specially when you pick a real weak one that I've known for longer than you've been alive.) ;P

http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-first-rule-of-programming-its-always-your-fault/

I suggest you review.

And then follow up with this.

http://swreflections.blogspot.com/2012/03/defensive-programming-being-just-enough.html?m=1

(Psst... oh and your lame memes ain't funny kid. Specially when you pick a real weak one that I've known for longer than you've been alive.) ;P

You've known about that for over three decades? Amazing. I use that because you are comparing this to the challenger and real deaths, as well as a serious issue like identity theft. That's earns a well deserved wtf.
  • KybeerKybeer Member Posts: 1
    Roseweave said:

nothing happens when i click load please help :(

Same issue here. Game installed from Beamdog client. The saves are visible in-game, but nothing happens when clicking load.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    The game won't currently load saves from prior to 1.3, but we're hoping to get that sorted in the first update.
    renbear[Deleted User]00zim00JuliusBorisov
  • renbearrenbear Member Posts: 1
    Cerevant said:

The game won't currently load saves from prior to 1.3, but we're hoping to get that sorted in the first update.

Oh, thank the freakin' gods. I was wondering if it was something to do with my system, or some mod I had installed and forgotten. Please consider putting this statement somewhere obvious, so people like me can find it easily. (Took quite a bit of spelunking to find this.)
    [Deleted User]00zim00
    Cerevant said:

Too late for that, but don't stop now. You're starting to show improvement.
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    I was considering buying the expansion but all my save files are unloadable due to old version compatibility. I'll wait for that fix.
  • 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267
  • SaradasSaradas Member Posts: 148
    It's working! thank you for letting me know :smile:
  • SenoSeno Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2020
    Hi there. I just installed the program. when i was to insert the installation path of baldurs gate, he deleted my savegames O.O
    i could even see that he deleted the folder.
    they are really gone, they are not in trash either, I searched the whole computer .. i could even see that he deleted the folder. what bad programmers have developed this tool?

Hallo. Ich habe gerade das Programm installiert. Als ich den Installationspfad von Baldurs Gate einfügen sollte, löschte er meine Savegames O.O.
    Ich konnte sogar sehen, dass er den Ordner gelöscht hat.
    Sie sind wirklich weg, sie sind auch nicht im Müll, ich habe den ganzen Computer durchsucht. Ich konnte sogar sehen, dass er den Ordner gelöscht hat.
    was für schlechte programierer haben dieses tool entwickelt?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Seno The game doesn't delete folders in your Documents folder while installing.
    ThacoBell