Skip to content

First impression, last impression...

lazutulazutu Member Posts: 118
Just finished BG1:EE in a new LoB mode, began SoD, here is what I have to say.

What did the authors smoke, seriously... where are my teammates... and I lost all the gold. Lol. No, seriously, who wrote THIS? :) Is this a joke? :)

They just toss around MY companions, all the items and gold like it didn't take ANY effort to get in the first place. I feel betrayed... sorry guys, you go on without me. In first fifty minutes of the game I've had like what, ten female-only npc's? And of course they made it as if Khalid suffered a mind-debilitating disease which made him even more cowardly. Didn't we sculpt him through BG1 to become a better, braver Man? Only to have him shrivel and whine "Uh! I'll come back f-from that" while JUST SHOOTING ARROWS? ARE YOU GODDAMN SERIOUS? I'm not in a collectible mood, I don't want to "gather all pokemons" (companions) again. Give us our classic Baldur's Gate, with them shops and all party immediately together, don't force your encounters on us...

After THIS expansion, Vanilla BG and BG2 look like paradise. With a teary eye, I'll just have to import from BG1:EE into BG2:EE directly, and forget about Dorn/Neera/monk's existence once again.
Post edited by lazutu on

Comments

• lazutulazutu Member Posts: 118
    Here's the final screen that made me understand: this game was just a forced inclusion into the BG saga. Couldn't the authors make it more authentic, the romantic relations between Minsc and his witch? Couldn't we get some hart-felt relief, knowing what will happen in BG2? This screen shows what's wrong with SoD on so many levels...

edited April 2016
    I mean, did they ALL leave because "reasons"? It's a double betrayal, because I tend to believe in my longtime (sorry for bragging, but is twenty years enough?) teammates, EVEN though they are not real, it DOES hurt. You can't take my Minsc or Dynaheir or Jaheira or Khalid or Imoen from me because "reasons"! You just cant...
    edited April 2016
    Also, I had my share of childhood trauma due to relatives gambling, and you just try to make a spectacle out of it. Yes, I am talking to you, the writer who thought that some creep in the basement who would lose ALL of the gold on some blah-blah bet would be "funnEy" and edgy... come on, guys, the writing is the true horror of this expansion.
    edited April 2016

So you must have really hated playing BG2, with most the NPCs disappeaing at the start, quite a few dying beyond your control...

BG2 is my favorite in the series. That was my point - the "dying beyond your control" part. Beamdog writer(s) tried and failed to show believable relations between characters, and said characters would never act that way if and when their beloved one died in BG2.
  • feersum_endjinnfeersum_endjinn Member Posts: 65
    I thought I understood what you were saying but apparently I'm wrong. Sorry. Hope you find time to enjoy SoD later.
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261
    edited April 2016
    lazutu said:

After THIS expansion, Vanilla BG and BG2 look like paradise. With a teary eye, I'll just have to import from BG1:EE into BG2:EE directly, and forget about Dorn/Neera/monk's existence once again.

Don't give up entirely on SOD Lazutu, the best part about SOD for me personally is the 500K XP Cap, as soon as i hit it, i import into BG2EE immediately. Been playing BG2EE for the past week now.

Just ignore the story, SOD to me now is just an XP Buff import experience.

Oh yeah and that sweet new Viconia portrait.

Al

lazutu said:

Don't give up entirely on SOD Lazutu, the best part about SOD for me personally is the 500K XP Cap, as soon as i hit it, i import into BG2EE immediately. Been playing BG2EE for the past week now.

Just ignore the story, SOD to me now is just an XP Buff import experience.

Oh yeah and that sweet new Viconia portrait.

Alright, I'll try it in story mode, solo. Thanks for the inspiration! XP buff for Ilyich, that one I like.
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    @lazutu My apologies, but you sound less comprehensible than Tiax. Is everything alright?

I'm genuinely not catching your drift tbh.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Krotos said:

@lazutu My apologies, but you sound less comprehensible than Tiax. Is everything alright?

he does not like the fact safana is forced onto him and rather play all of sod solo.

Krotos said:

he does not like the fact safana is forced onto him and rather play all of sod solo.
    Uhm...Glint?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited April 2016
    "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! I have to start out the expansion like every other D&D adventure or expansion, from the ground up. Someone coddle my feelings."

That's what you sound like.
    well i did not like the money being taken away either but it was not a deal breaker. half my party not being joinable until chapter 9 now thats another story.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2016
    why i understand where you are coming from i could not disagree more, part of the fun is encounting the companions again and honestly you get 5or 6 almost right off the bat, there is just a bit of dialogue first which is quite cool dialogue , you could just click it away and you will get your companions even sooner.

And yeah this is really not much different then BG2EE i find.

And about the recruitment of dynaheir and minsc , i dont really get the issue.
    ok so you hate the fact your party disbands after the prologue dungeon. it's been afew weeks sense then your party had stuff to do thinking the quest was finished. a new threat to the sword coast shows up and your back in action time to get the band back together thats all it was.
    it Fit the story i think. It has been 8 weeks ? i think and people dont just sit around doing nothing they have things to do as well.
    yeah i dident understand what you wanted to show with that either tbh.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    OP what are you smoking?
    In Bg2 you also lose companions, all your gold and all your items. SoD at least left you all your items AND gave you access to more companions early than Bg2 does.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    edited April 2016
    ...?

Man dislikes opening prologue to game without going into a inch of the story or game-play, leaving scientists baffled. Declares playing the game on Story Mode is the only way to enjoy the instalment.

Why not just import your character to BG2 set your xp to 500,000 and refund your money from Steam if you legitimately can't be bothered playing SoD.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    lazutu said:

What did the authors smoke, seriously... where are my teammates... and I lost all the gold. Lol. No, seriously, who wrote THIS? :) Is this a joke? :)

You and I would get along just fine. :D

Their writing style is way too modern and pretentious, not to mention bad. There's a HUGE sexist leaning towards trying to force strong females and weak male characters down your throat. The controversy. And they go to great lengths to smack both you the player, and your characters in the face.

Gameplay-wise, they make it as frustrating and obnoxiously bad as they can get away with. Or they cop out, ship it half-finished and untested, then promise to fix the (major!) bugs later.

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH! I have to start out the expansion like every other D&D adventure or expansion, from the ground up. Someone coddle my feelings."

That's what you sound like.

I wont get provoked on this, be respectful toward other board members.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Who really cares about that gold now, you can get multiple thousands of it just from the prologue.

Reading your opening post and the way you over react to literally nothing (what's that thing about female-only npcs?), you can go and not play this game and I don't think anyone here will miss you. In a community for such a timeless classic, we really don't need people like you.

Who really cares about that gold now, you can get multiple thousands of it just from the prologue.

Reading your opening post and the way you over react to literally nothing (what's that thing about female-only npcs?), you can go and not play this game and I don't think anyone here will miss you. In a community for such a timeless classic, we really don't need people like you.

A hypocritical statement. BG1 and BG2 and ToB are timeless classics, SoD will have to reeeealllly try, through a multitude of patches. Reread my statement, stop nitpicking and attacking without context. Soon, the word "female" will be offensive on its own, it seems.

And yes, I hope no one will ever say the things you say to others on this forum. What a jerk.
    I'm sorry to interrupt you two, but Elminster wishes me to forward to you two a message: you're invited for tea and some cookies. There's no need to be grumpy and mean towards each other.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    How many posts like this have we had since the release, all to say the same things between the lines. All complaining about females npcs, saying "go on without me", telling us how beamdog ruined this game. Well yes, can we go on without you now? You've posted 4 posts in a row as the opening of this post in a 20 minutes window.

For a few days we had a front page of this subforum that was full of questions about the game itself, about quests, items, tips. Could we not go back to having a front page full of people whining about how this new game sucks and how this is not worthy of the original games, when these people don't even know the original games (really romantic relationship between minsc and dynaheir?).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Hmm, people, could we stop discussing a person (OP) and focus only on the things mentioned in comments, like relations between Minsc and Dynaheir and losing gold? That way this thread will be much better than now.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Minsc? Weak? Now I've heard everything.
    edited April 2016
    I think my disliking of the new NPC's was also taken in the wrong light: I absolutely loathe the new locations in BG2 (Neera's wizards in Amn, magic woods with that abhorring mission, Rashaad's semi-empty temple; loved, LOVED the hidden refuge and its' music). The NPC's themselves and their dialogues are welcome additions to BG2 saga. I just thought they'd take note from BG2:EE and won't force even more encounters into SoD :(
This discussion has been closed.