Skip to content

Available Companions?

Who can I adventure with and who can't I adventure with, specifically?

Comments

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    edited April 2016
    If you import a save everyone in your party appears to begin with. The party breaks up after the introduction though. You can recruit or re-recruit more people later.

At the beginning you can recruit: Safana, Minsc, Dynaheir and Viconia

Edwin, Baeloth, Neera, Rasaad, Dorn, Jaheira and Khalid become available as the game progresses. The new npc's are also obviously available.

The others are not available, although Imoen, Skie and a few others make appearances but don't join you.

EDIT: Seems I was talking out of my ass regarding the starting companions, I have corrected the starting roster.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    huh garrick is playable. i thought as it seemed he did not have a voice he was an npc like he was in 2.
  • AntaraReisAntaraReis Member Posts: 26
    No Kivan then? Shame, I wanted him in my party.
    i know it's not what you want but there is always the bg 2 mod.

Corwin is an archer ranger, a suitable replacement I think. Unfortunately she only has 15 dexterity, but she works ok.
  • AntaraReisAntaraReis Member Posts: 26
    Yeah, but I wanted do an all-ranger team with me, Minsc, Kivan and Corvin all present. At least I get to keep Minsc.

huh garrick is playable. i thought as it seemed he did not have a voice he was an npc like he was in 2.

You are correct, Garrick is indeed not available. He simply gives you a small token to help you on your way. I've updated my original post to be correct.
  • Granas3Granas3 Member Posts: 41
    I kinda miss imoen, but what they did makes some sense. I just wish they hadn't been soo specific about her level of skill. In my playthrough, she was slightly higher level as a mage than dynaheir, not exactly a beginner :/
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    This bodes ill for my BG party of Ajantis, Yeslick, Imoen, Garrick, and Tiax. Not a single one of them is a joinable NPC?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited April 2016
    @jsaving
    No. After you are done with the first dungeon, the NPCs you mentioned will leave.
    You will meet again Tiax, but he will not join your party. Imoen will be replace by Safana.
    Post edited by Aedan on
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Only 1 thief companion?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @Rawgrim
    You can choose between Safana and Glint.
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    are you required to have both Minsc and Dynaheir together again? I need a mage but it will be hard to fit Minsc into my team as well.
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119
    Yes. Minsc is still on his Dajemma, and cannot leave her side till he has completed it. Given he is still on it when BG2 opens...
    hmm then I can't decide on my team :(

The party I want is

Inquisitor
    Khalid
    Jaheria
    Safana
    Corwin
    Mage

Don't really want Neera and doing a good playthrough so wont take Edwin or Baeloth. Such hard choices!
    edited April 2016
    When I first saw that, I was like "You mean, like, DA:I protagonist in your party?" Then I remembered it's also a paladin kit. If it helps, Khalid is a decent archer with a longbow, and Minsc can be very tanky. Also, M'khiin works well as an offensive caster and summoner thanks to her Shaman bonus spells, and she's pretty mean with a throwing axe. Also she's TN. Also, Glint could replace both Jaheira and Safana, letting you drop Jaheira, Khalid and Safana, to fit Minsc and Dynaheir in.

Glint can also cast restoration which Jaheira can't, and without getting into specifics, there are certain quests early on where you'll wish you had it.
    edited April 2016
    Ed. 2xpost
    I might just change Khalid into a fighter/mage or maybe dual safana if I give her 1 more int. Then I could pick up Glint or M'khiin as well
    Or you could do that XD
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    I don't know if it's a bug, but I was able to recruit only Minsc without Dynaheir after dropping them both and telling them to go to camp - and then asking Minsc to join.

I dropped Minsc again shortly after inside the camp (I was just stealing his objects, for my evil playthrough :P) so I don't know if he complains afterwards.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    You can always go with the "accidental death" - give Minsc items and armor to another character for cleaning and then send him out to scout naked - when he fails to survive remove him from the party and Dyna will carry on without him.... of course this may be difficult to justify to an Inquisitor LOL
  • SirdentSirdent Member Posts: 45
    The first time through I played good. I am now playing evil. Any idea where Dorn is? I didnt pay attention to him or some of the other characters. Right now my evil peeps party is in real need of some damage soaking melee. Vic and Safana arent the best of beatsticks
    edited April 2016
    You find him locked up in a crusader camp.

Also, Viccy makes an excellent tank if you slap Holy Power or DUHM on her.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited April 2016
    Sceptenar said:

Corwin is an archer ranger, a suitable replacement I think. Unfortunately she only has 15 dexterity, but she works ok.
    Corwin is a beast! I have her at -3 THAC0, with Boots of Speed on. She can kite and draw so quickly, she's become my main scout. Safana I just use for disabling traps and locks now. Kivan may very well not have lasted if he was part of the party.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    Sceptenar said:

15 dexterity + Brawling Hands + Archer's Eyes + her own bow = 21. And it's not even needed anyway. Archers have negative THAC0 pretty much naturally.
  • darksauriandarksaurian Member Posts: 42
    I just started from scratch. I already let the flaming fist kill Viconia. Is she going to magically come back to life in SOD and pretend like we know each other? I had the same problem with BG2 back in the day. I had no idea who Minsc was.
    yes
  • darksauriandarksaurian Member Posts: 42
    edited April 2016
    Aw man. I liked a lot about bg2 but that was the dumbest thing. I finally figured out he was that guy who went crazy and attacked me in Nashkell and I had to kill him. It hurt my brain, I had to do like 1984 doublethink in order for bg2 to make sense.

Now I have this urge to start over and not kill Viconia this time so sod will make sense but that's a neurotic waste of time because I'll play the exact same game. I'll just pretend I didn't kill her. I mean my save file in sod won't be any different. If I believe that's what happened then that's really what happened.
    Post edited by darksaurian on
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    @ darksaurian - There are raise dead and resurrection spells in all the BG series not to mention rods that can be used by anyone.
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    Yep. A recurring line in BG2 is "Didn't I kill you?" The general answer falls along the lines of "I think so. Your point?"