Skip to content

Dread wolves near death but not dying...

11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
Hello, I'm having a problem with an enemy that should die but isn't. This is also a recurring problem that I've seemed to be having because I encountered this also with small trolls not dying from fire, and then having to just move-on from the area. Returning doesn't seem to be an option with this particular problem.

The dread wolves just aren't dying at near death. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't recall dread wolves needing anything particularly special to kill them.

Edit: this happens at Bloodbark Grove. Dread wolves spawn when I get moss from a tree, and also this happens in the cellar in the area.

I guess I'll just do everything in the area and run from them after I get the moss.
Midoriashafetov

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    The dread wolves in SOD seem to require fire/acid to kill, much like trolls. I'm not really sure why.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Jarrakul said:

The dread wolves in SOD seem to require fire/acid to kill, much like trolls. I'm not really sure why.

That's what I thought too, but I tried my fire arrow on them. But I'll give it another shot, thanks.
    Possibly try acid? I think the weapon I was using to finish them did acid damage.
    @Jarrakul nope, the fire isn't working either. I'm fairly certain it's a bug.
    Jarrakul said:

Possibly try acid? I think the weapon I was using to finish them did acid damage.

Okay, I have a scroll of acid arrow on me. I'll try that.
    Okay acid works. That's incredibly odd, and I don't think that's right though. :pensive:
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Jarrakul said:

Apparently this is their canon behavior - it was nerfed in BGI.
    SethDavisKrotosJuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Fire should kill them. If it doesn't then that is a bug.
    JuliusBorisovCaptRory
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Trolls get invincibility frames if you keep hitting them before they can fall down. If you get them to near death, but they are still being hit, they won't fall, and won't ever die, especially if you up the frame rate of the game. It may be the same with the Dread Wolves, I haven't tested it.
  • ArasHUNArasHUN Member Posts: 6
    Purudaya said:

Jarrakul said:

Apparently this is their canon behavior - it was nerfed in BGI.
    That would justify their insane 650 xp reward which is so far from regular wolves, worgs and dire wolves that sometimes spawn instead of them - I would know, I died loads of times on low levels because of stray dread wolves attacking the squishier members of my party.
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    edited April 2016
    It's just the damage done not being great enough or the damage from your Fire Arrows being saved against.

Edit: at least, I think that's what it is.
    Post edited by cloudkillbeatsall on
  • StonekingStoneking Member Posts: 39
    I had to use my wand of heavens to kill them. Fire didn't work.
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171
    I eventually trekked back and got the special sword and dagger from ToSC to finish them off. That worked.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    Fire spells and fire arrows definitely worked (when they failed their save), but my acid returning dart wasn't.
    Noon said:

Fire spells and fire arrows definitely worked (when they failed their save), but my acid returning dart wasn't.

That is quite odd, since that's the same weapon I was using. It sounds like there may be something going wrong in the code.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    Fire arrows have a save for the fire damage. You often have to shoot multiple arrows before they fail their save and take fire damage. Aganazar's scorcher of flamestrike wand worked instantly for me.
    Didn't they just change it so that downed trolls never save against fire arrows, though? I would have thought they'd carry that change over to dread wolves as well.
  • FrkunFrkun Member Posts: 52
    Did you notice how in the original BG saga there was a lot of NPCs telling you that trolls can be killed only with fire or acid so you can prepare?
    Well, that's descriptive of the game design of this expansion.
    @Frkun
    The tips were in the loading screens, which aren't in the game anymore because the areas load so fast. This is an improvement, no? My idea was that they put the tips in the dialogue box whenever you load a game.

@Jarrakul
    They should have done this for dread wolves if they did this for trolls. A feature request maybe? They should probably add a save to acid arrows and any other similar type of arrows.
    SethDavis
  • FrkunFrkun Member Posts: 52

@Frkun
    The tips were in the loading screens, which aren't in the game anymore because the areas load so fast. This is an improvement, no? My idea was that they put the tips in the dialogue box whenever you load a game.

It's an improvement if it improves. If it takes something out, it can be even worse. They could reduce the load times to zero at the cost of not seeing the scenario, but you would not consider that as an improvement, do you?

The point is that there are plenty of solutions to that problem and none was taken. That's why the quality of this product is questionable.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    So, what is your suggestion, we should put back fake load screens with 10 (1,2,5) seconds of pause?
    JuliusBorisovPurudayamf2112CaptRory
  • WaterRabbitWaterRabbit Member Posts: 11
    I haven't had any issues killing them with fire (arrows, spells, swords).
    @Avenger_teambg
    Put the suggestions in the dialogue box whenever you load the game.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2016
    That or make it a floating popup (like the new quest updates) when you load a save and give the player the option to toggle tips and hints on/off. Most of us have played the game through and through, but new players might really benefit from it. You could even add some new tips beyond what the old loading screens had to address some of the most common problem areas players encounter.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited April 2016
    A long time ago I had something like that. If I remember right, the problem was that we were already running out of room for toggles on the menus and no one had time to go through and make sure we had the right tips, and that they made sense for each game.

The space thing might be ok now that we scroll buttons, though that's the kind of thing I would prefer we avoided.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited April 2016
    I get kind of tired of games treating my like an idiot. If one thing doesn't work on an unfamiliar monster, try something else until something does. That's kind of the point of monsters having immunities.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    Raduziel
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited August 2017
    This is still a bug. When Dread Wolves are "unconscious," they're immune to weapons that deal fire/acid damage. The only way to kill them is by non-weapon related fire/acid damage (e.g., Burning Hands, Melf's Acid Arrow, etc.).

I looked at the item file for BDWOLFD1 and it looks like there's something wrong with the BDWOLFD1 spell effect. I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact problem, however.

I experimented by going into the BDWOLFDR creature file and replaced the BDWOLFD1 item file with the TROLLREG file, and I was able to kill unconscious Dread Wolves just fine with fire/acid causing weapons. The only problem is that they now have the same regeneration rate as trolls.

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    My point is: why acid/fire is needed to kill a Dread Wolf?

Only a few Dread Wolves behave this way and they are all in the same area and all in SoD. The way I see someone messed up their script and give them some troll properties. Clearly a bug.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Raduziel Actually, Dread Wolves in SoD are much closer to the PnP version, where they regenerate, cause disease, and require fire/acid to kill. They were nerfed in BG, and weren't even classified as undead.
    RaduzielThacoBell
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Mortianna Which book has information about Dread Wolves?

Just checked the Monstrous Manuals and all my Ravenloft material and not a single word about either them or Vampiric Wolves.

Thanks!