Skip to content

So, what do you say? Is Beamdog in?

Comments

• RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621

@Rawgrim You haven't played the game. Please say that the game is a disappointment because you can't play it due to colorblindness but don't comment on the content when you haven't played the game please.

Saw the screenshot of the bit I mentioned.

I am entitled to comment on that, even though it hurts your feelings.

That's not the point of this poll, the poll is about how people feel about the game after playing it, not about how people feel about the game after reading what others are saying about it.

I understand your disappointment with the colorblind issue and I've offered you all the help I could to go back to the previous version while waiting for an update, what's the point in doing this now ? I understand that it's frustrating for you but there's no point in spreading an opinion on a game you haven't played, it's not helping anyone, it's not helping the filter issue, it's not helping this poll, it's doing nothing but repeating the same bits of information( and misinformations) that have already been "shoved down everyone's throats" for the last 14 days.

I played the expansion pack for 2-3 hours on a friend's computer when it was released.

I am not addressing the colourblind issues at all here. I am pointing out how the game kind of fails in an rp aspect. When the game takes control over your character's personality like that, that it what it does.

I am not frustrated about the colour issue. Dee actually PMed me earlier saying that the problem just might be addressed, and that they are beta testing something that will fix it.

Stop putting words in my mouth and assuming things, please.
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Except for the bugs it's flawless.
    But some of the bugs are unacceptable especially the LoB bug.
    Lore
  • Nocturnal_JesterNocturnal_Jester Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2016
    It's a mixed bag for me. I enjoyed playing a new adventure using the infinity engine, but there were too many negatives for me to flat out say "this is a good / great game". I don't like that you don't have much a choice on how to proceed a lot of the time. 1 example is how the game doesn't let you attack a certain npc during a parley. You're told that it goes against wartime policy or something like that, and of course your char doesn't have a choice to go against that policy and deal with the consequences.

I know that bg1, bg2, and many rpgs put the protagonist in positions like that and to me that doesn't matter. I'm judging this game on its own merits. There are several examples of stuff like that in the game and they just had me rolling my eyes constantly.

Another issue I have with the game is all fighting you do against groups of weak enemies. Stuff like that is not interesting at all.

With regards to the overall story I gotta say that I just didn't find it all that interesting. I kinda wish that this game didn't involve the child of bhaal and instead was just a separate adventure.

I still want beamdog to make more rpgs though. No one is perfect and I bet they will improve if given the chance. I like the majority of ee npcs and some of the ones in sod as well. Glint is hilarious, LOL. So yea I'm still wishing success for beamdog.

I hope the folks from beamdog are reading this. If you make another rpg you should take into account all of the alignments, focus more on meaningful battles instead of fights against 838748374 weak enemies, and continue to add funny / cool npcs.

:)
    SharGuidesMyHand
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I am waiting for the PC Gamer review to come out before I decide
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I felt the ending was a bit lackluster, but I loved the game as a whole. Most of the game felt like I was playing Baldur's Gate again for the first time, except that I was actually competent. I'd say you have no idea how much I've longed for that, but I suspect quite a few of you know exactly that feeling.
    illathid
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    I havn't got far into SoD yet, but from what I have heard much doesn't change and the gameplay so far is just aweful Hack 'n Slash bs. With hoards of enemies that just asks for AoE and rest cheese because you can't controll that amount of enemies.
  • RaltarRaltar Member Posts: 35
    It is passable. I don't regret buying it, but it could have been so much more. It introduced some plot holes to BG2, which is pretty bad. But what gives me hope is that good ol' David Gaider is on the team now, so it can only get better from here.
  • abentwookieabentwookie Member Posts: 91
    edited April 2016
    So from what I see, the majority of people here who posted either loved or at least liked the game, except for mostly supporters of a certain group who pretty much all hated it. Well, that should be encouraging to Beamdog. If your actual fans loved or liked the game, those are the people you need to worry about. Others are going to hate you and your games by default now even if they haven't played the game, so just focus on what matters. You definitely have a new fan here and I will happily defend you against the legion of filthy orcs that invade the community. You have my sword! :o
    edited April 2016
    Sids1188 said:

Rawgrim said:

A roleplaying game that gives my character only 1 option in a conversation, no matter the class or aligment, isn't doing its job well. Roleplaying needs options. Getting "offended" in 5 different ways isn't even an option, it is the writer taking full control of my character's personality.

A fair point, but I hope you also level that same criticism at the original Baldur's Gate which also had limited roleplay options.

Example: The hunter south of Beregost who approaches the player and says he can smell ogres nearby. Your options are "you're good at what you do", "we could use a good hunter in our party", and "you seem to now the area well". All nice compliments. Not option of "Hey, I notice you're all alone in the woods here, give me your money", or "That smell is coming from you, hippy scum. Get a real job", or even "did you just figure that out, we've been tracking for days now, you're such an amateur".

It's a bit frustrating when people complain about bad writing in SoD which single-handedly makes it a terrible game, while also saying that BG was great (or even perfect) when it had almost the same writing quality. If you wish to complain about one, that's fine, I'll agree (although I feel that both games are good despite that issue). Just be consistent and complain about both.
    BG1 certainly has some of the same issues here and there too. I never said otherwise. The poll is about SoD, though. I'd certainly point out the same issue if someone asked me about the writing in BG1, and how it could have been improved upon.
    Post edited by Rawgrim on
    Sids1188
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    Rawgrim said:

Sids1188 said:

Rawgrim said:

A roleplaying game that gives my character only 1 option in a conversation, no matter the class or aligment, isn't doing its job well. Roleplaying needs options. Getting "offended" in 5 different ways isn't even an option, it is the writer taking full control of my character's personality.

A fair point, but I hope you also level that same criticism at the original Baldur's Gate which also had limited roleplay options.

Example: The hunter south of Beregost who approaches the player and says he can smell ogres nearby. Your options are "you're good at what you do", "we could use a good hunter in our party", and "you seem to now the area well". All nice compliments. Not option of "Hey, I notice you're all alone in the woods here, give me your money", or "That smell is coming from you, hippy scum. Get a real job", or even "did you just figure that out, we've been tracking for days now, you're such an amateur".

It's a bit frustrating when people complain about bad writing in SoD which single-handedly makes it a terrible game, while also saying that BG was great (or even perfect) when it had almost the same writing quality. If you wish to complain about one, that's fine, I'll agree (although I feel that both games are good despite that issue). Just be consistent and complain about both.
    BG1 certainly has some of the same issues here and there too. I never said otherwise. The poll is about SoD, though. I'd certainly point out the same issue if someone asked me about the writing in BG1, and how it could have been approved upon.
    Indeed, apologies if I seemed antagonistic. Didn't mean it to be.
    Sids1188 said:

Rawgrim said:

Sids1188 said:

Rawgrim said:

BG1 certainly has some of the same issues here and there too. I never said otherwise. The poll is about SoD, though. I'd certainly point out the same issue if someone asked me about the writing in BG1, and how it could have been approved upon.
    Indeed, apologies if I seemed antagonistic. Didn't mean it to be.
    No no. You didn't seem antagonistic at all. Don't worry about it. It is probably more the case of me sounding blunt, really. It happens rather often. English isn't my first language.
    Sids1188
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    Sids1188 said:

Rawgrim said:

Btw as a bard you have extra dialogue options in certain quests. ;)
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    Your expectations are lacking if you think this expansion was good. Mediocre at best.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

Your expectations are lacking if you think this expansion was good. Mediocre at best.

While I respect opinions that differs from mine and can understand you did not appreciate the expansion., I can't help spitting on those who look down upon the others' view. If there was a dislike button on post, I'd have pressed it on this post.
    illathidJarrakul
    Arunsun said:

While I respect opinions that differs from mine and can understand you did not appreciate the expansion., I can't help spitting on those who look down upon the others' view. If there was a dislike button on post, I'd have pressed it on this post.
    Lol Hey, kids. Let's play a game. It's called "Politicians". One second, I'll say one thing, and then another moment, I'll say something totally different.
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    Dear Saverok's ravenous spirit, please stay respectful towards others else we'll have to ask the priests of Kelemvor to send you to the Fugue Plane. There's no need to be snarky.

@Topic: I loved it. It flows so nicely and offers a bunch of great encounters. The final unique wilderness fight was awesome too and it was great how a lot of those had some lore tidbits.
    JuliusBorisovillathidgus100
  • EarXEarX Member Posts: 4
    Epilogue disappointed me a little in that it didn't feel consistent with the rest of the story. Other minor niggles such as an underdeveloped journal/quest-log. Very enjoyable otherwise.
  • DLiteDLite Member Posts: 53
    Episode 1. It cannot be undone, it cannot be removed. It is there. Forever and ever.

The good thing is, we have a copy of the original Star Wars movie. George Lucas tried to detroy it, tried to change Han Solo. Turned Han Solo into a softie. But we all know, Han fired first. Geriatric Han Solo is a joke, but the original Han is still alive in our collective consciousness. We have the original tape, and George can't take it away from us.

I have the original Baldur's Gate discs somewhere.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    DLite said:

Episode 1. It cannot be undone, it cannot be removed. It is there. Forever and ever.

The good thing is, we have a copy of the original Star Wars movie. George Lucas tried to detroy it, tried to change Han Solo. Turned Han Solo into a softie. But we all know, Han fired first. Geriatric Han Solo is a joke, but the original Han is still alive in our collective consciousness. We have the original tape, and George can't take it away from us.

I have the original Baldur's Gate discs somewhere.

lol, your tears are delicious.
  • KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    To imply that Beamdog has taken something away from you, @DLite - would mean that they'd actually have to do that in the first place.

I'm fairly certain that GOG.com can dispel the illusion you're experiencing. If not, chances are that Leira herself wants you to remain within the mists.
    Grum
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    Freche said:

I havn't got far into SoD yet, but from what I have heard much doesn't change and the gameplay so far is just aweful Hack 'n Slash bs. With hoards of enemies that just asks for AoE and rest cheese because you can't controll that amount of enemies.

You can control the amount of enemies though, have an easier difficulty and there will be less enemies.

In my opinion its a great game, i enjoyed it a lot. Love the new chars love the new UI (and the fact its modifiable) i love the fact old chars now got expanded upon (in BG1 a lot of NPCs had only a token of personality) All in all a great game.
    Actually I think even the Baldur's Gate books were better than this. Sure they were stupid, bloody, gorey, mindless, and depressing, but they at least kept the spirit of the game. They weren't boring or full of oversensitive political and social conciencious objectors and modern controversy.
  • Axl_KrowAxl_Krow Member Posts: 69
    Don't know. I can barely play the game because the UI is fuck awful. And what seems to be the general consensus regarding the writing has not given me much incentive to stick through it.

I've started SoD a total of 3 times now and have yet to make it out of the opening dungeon. The UI is sickening.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm hesitant about a potential BG3.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    My view: I do not hate the added EE content, but I am not wild about it.

I primed my expectations low for SoD because Baldur's Gate series matters so much in my formative gaming enjoyment - being badly disappointed there would have been just too cruel.

SoD really was a lovely surprise to me - I thought the writing had advanced, could not read my main antagonist, and main story device to bridge BG to BG2 pretty great!

Yet, is ToB BG2? No! Expansion is really not the right the measure.

Would I want to see full game by Beamdog, and do I have reasonable hopes it will be even better written, and quite interesting? Heck, yeah! I'm in for it, too. :-)
    Grum
  • namenlosnamenlos Member Posts: 51
    Howdy all,
    no poll point yet as I need to actually get everything done to know but it's been hard for me to get into the game. At the moment I am strongly leaning towards "a disappointment..." but I am hoping that once some more time passes I'll be able to look at it on it's own and not through my "BG is great, BG is God" glasses. I think my expectations may have been to high but I can only shrug at that... anyway, hope the next time I can post a better opinion/poll vote once I am complete.