Skip to content

Spoiler Discussion "ending"

a420za420z Member Posts: 5
Is anyone else out there as disappointed as i am about the way the ending was? I mean here you are you just defeat Caelar Argent and all of a sudden your framed for murder with hopes of proving your innocence an entire new chapter begins (with cut scene style dialog) and 2 minutes later the game ends? i love 99% of this game but i feel the ending was cut short and appalling it left me wanting more of what I'm sure we wont ever have.
ValamirCleaver

Comments

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    There had to be some reason for CHARNAME to leave the BG region and head for Amn.
    illathidkillerrabbit
  • RaltarRaltar Member Posts: 35
    The ending was by far the weakest part of the entire game. It made absolutely no sense. They could have just been like, "People are uneasy about the bridge thing. Maybe it would be best if you leave for a while so things can calm down a bit." Or even, "Hey! That hooded mage guy is still out there fucking with things. Maybe we should go look for him?" The Skie murder plot was crap. Rest was fairly ok, though.
    a420zValamirCleaver
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    It's been almost 20 years, and the BG1 characters that weren't BG2 NPCs still can't catch a break. I guess it's just as well that Kivan and Kagain run away. I like to think that they are still out there. "Don't bother me." "I don't wanna...urp!"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    poejjafers
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I don't mind the whole "being framed for murder" thing, especially since people were explicitly growing suspicious of you the whole time. I do mind how sudden Belhifet's reveal was, though, and how little impact he had. It's like he was only in the game to be a final boss fight, rather than a real villain.
    MoradinkillerrabbitKrotos[Deleted User]
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Jarrakul said:

I don't mind the whole "being framed for murder" thing, especially since people were explicitly growing suspicious of you the whole time. I do mind how sudden Belhifet's reveal was, though, and how little impact he had. It's like he was only in the game to be a final boss fight, rather than a real villain.
    It's not that sudden if you scry on the hooded man in the dwarves of dumathoin quest.
    killerrabbitKrotos
    edited April 2016
    @illathid I'm sorry, I don't think I was 100% clear. I don't exactly mean that it wasn't hinted at. I actually guessed it like halfway through the plot. I mean that it's revealed, no one really makes a very big deal of it, and then it's over. I actually mean there's not enough after the reveal, rather than before it.
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    I don't know why Imoen was there. What if you didn't play with Imoen in BG1? Would she really care about saving you in the end? Same with all those other characters. Wouldn't e.g. Dorn have more reason to want to save you than e.g. Minsc. Not out of the goodness of his heart but because he knew travelling with you was profitable. What about Minsc if you killed Dynaheir in the Gnoll Stronghold? What about Dynaheir if you killed Dynaheir in the Gnoll Stronghold? Wouldn't she be dead? Shouldn't she not be in the game at all if you killed her in BG1?

I never really thought the game was a good idea from the perspective of continuity. Jaheira says in BG2 that they were travelling somewhere near Baldur's Gate when they were taken. That's enough to explain it, you don't need a whole game to do it. The time your character spends with the Hooded Figure are the same. You already know Irenicus was observing you, it doesn't add anything to the game. And also they felt the need to explain how the captive genie had the Sword of Chaos. There already was an explanation: Irenicus took it from you when you were captured. Did they need an explanation for the Helm of Balduran too? the way it was done just raised the questions of why Irenicus wanted the sword in the first place and what was so important about the blood on the blade.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    I really liked it.
    I mean why do you want to get rid of that Bhaal taint in BG2? Bhaal taint is awesome, take it add a dash of will power and presto -- healing spells! But now? Maybe this scion of murder thing isn't so great. Bridges the gap between BG1 and 2 nicely.
    poejjafers
    edited April 2016
    @Jarrakul
    Ah, I was focused on the sudden part of your comment rather than the impact part. It would've been nice if we could have done more to cast shade at a certain advisor. It wouldn't have to change anything in my opinion, but even being able to just say more to Caelar would be good. Still I liked how it all went down overall.
    Post edited by illathid on
    Jarrakul
    Yeah, I meant "sudden" as in "very fast" more than "without warning." My apologies, that was definitely my bad for being unclear. I just would've liked to see something like Lower Dorn's Deep in IWD, where we really got to see his handiwork and got to know him through his works. And maybe some explanation of who he is, since my character sure didn't know anything about him (although walking the line between description and spoilers might be tricky).
    Jarrakul said:

Yeah, I meant "sudden" as in "very fast" more than "without warning." My apologies, that was definitely my bad for being unclear. I just would've liked to see something like Lower Dorn's Deep in IWD, where we really got to see his handiwork and got to know him through his works. And maybe some explanation of who he is, since my character sure didn't know anything about him (although walking the line between description and spoilers might be tricky).

Yeah, that's tough. I actually think this is somewhere where modding could be really helpful. Maybe add a chapter after you cross the bridge but before you get to the coalition camp. Let you see more of what Caelar's army has done and maybe address some of these complaints.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    I agree, aborting player agency to force a railroading ending is horrible.
  • KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
    I was just upset that...

Snape kills Dumbledore
    a420z