Skip to content

Osprey the Fighter/Diviner! (New Non-Player Character Mod.)

WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
edited December 2015 in BG:EE Mods
***Prototype Download Available Below (Next 'Rainbow-Post')!***

Here is a 'recent' project of mine for a recruitable Non-Player Character:
To turn Osprey the Cleric / Mage from the 'Candlekeep / Obe Party' into a usable Fighter / Mage.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quick Update (7:51 AM 21/05/2015): *Belated Publish* New Item B.A.M. for Osprey!
[Spoiler]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Slightly Obsolescent Information*
Here are my recent Osprey Images:
-Osprey's Attributes [Level Fighter 2, Level Mage 1]-
^New Dexterity: 14 +1. The Enhanced Dexterity Bonus is from her Unique Purple Two-Handed Sword +1.
"Osprey has now 9 Charisma, Her dexterity is still raised from 9 to 14 but now her Charisma is no longer an illogical value of 6. Her Charisma was changed to be more realistic to her portrait and also because I was willing to respectably improve her character where changes would make sense and to not perpetuate any dogmas of unpractically staying the same just because of her ill planned original version had it so. Her 'New Charisma' is a result of respecting her character and thus 'needing' to raise her likableness above that of the annoying and repulsive Quayle (of which she is originally 'molded' from) while also paying homage to her old Dexterity value of 9; as in 9 Dexterity is almost as 'useless' as Charisma. Although to be fair if a Character's Dexterity is not 15 it can be around as low as 7 and still have the same combat effectiveness as 14 (Interestingly enough that is why her Unique Purple Two-Handed Sword +1 has a +1 Dexterity Bonus, to turn a 'useless' 14 Dexterity into a useful Armour Class Bonus +1 granted by 15 Dexterity).
(16+14[+1]+13+15+10+9=78)"
Source: http://withinamnesia.deviantart.com/art/Osprey-Character-Attributes-2-0-Sword-Equipped-509342952

Osprey's Appearance Colouring (all according to Sword Coast Keeper):
Hair: 0x00
Clothing Major: 0x2D
Armour: 0x1A
Metal: 0x1B
Skin: 0x54
Clothing Minor: 0x3A
Leather: 0x17
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Calculated Values Below:

-Osprey's Level 2 Fighter, Level 1 Mage Inventory-
Osprey: 4001 Experience.
-Inventory Items List-
Item 0: Leather Armour (LEAT01) [Slightly better than the no armour that she originally 'wore']
Item 1: War Hammer (IHAMM01)
Item 2: [Osprey's Unique Purple-Hilted] Two-Handed Sword +1 [Dexterity bonus +1] (ISW2HO03)
Item 3: Medium Shield (ISHLD03)
Item 4: Wand of Fire [x3 Charges](WAND05)
Item 5: Osprey's Magic Candle (MISCO01)

Hit-Point Roll: 11

Innate Spell Memorization:
1 - Invisibility

Wizard Spell Memorization:
[Level One Spells]
2 - Magic Missile
1 - Identify
0 - Shield
0 - Friends

Weapon Proficiency Points:
++ Large Swords / Two-Handed Swords
+ Missile Weapons
+ Blunt Weapons
-Osprey's Level 4 Fighter, Level 3 Mage Inventory-
Osprey: 16001 Experience.
-Inventory Items List-
Item 0: Hide Armour (LEAT10) [A naturally er, 'unattractive' Armour by lore for an uncharacteristically low Charisma of 6!]
Item 2: [Osprey's Unique Purple-Hilted] Two-Handed Sword +1 [Dexterity bonus +1] (ISW2HO03)
Item 6: Light Crossbow (XBOW04)
Item 7: Bolt [x20](BOLT01)

Hit-Point Roll: 23

1 - Invisibility

[Level One Spells]
2 - Magic Missile
1 - Identify
1 - Shield
0 - Friends
[Level Two Spells]
1 - Horror
0 - Melf's Acid Arrow

++ Missile Weapons
+ Blunt Weapons
-Osprey's Level 6 Fighter, Level 6 Mage Inventory-
Osprey: 40001 Experience.
-Inventory Items List-
Item 0: Chain Mail Armour (ICHAN01) [For her Portrait looks the most like Chainmail Armour was personally adorned.]
Item 6: Light Crossbow (XBOW04)
Item 7: Bolt [x20, x20](BOLT01)

Hit-Point Roll: 39

1 - Invisibility

[Level One Spells]
4 - Magic Missile
1 - Identify
1 - Shield
0 - Friends
[Level Two Spells]
1 - Horror
1 - Melf's Acid Arrow
0 - Mirror Image
[Level Three Spells]
1 - Monster Summoning I
1 - Ghost Armour

++ Missile Weapons
+ Blunt Weapons
+ Spiked Weapons
http://withinamnesia.deviantart.com/art/Osprey-III-6-6-Inventory-500956456?q=gallery:withinamnesia/46496241&qo=2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Unique Magical Items:

Osprey's Unique Purple-Hilted Two-Handed Sword +1:
Unique Item Features [When compared next to a regular Two-Handed Sword +1]:
() +1 Dexterity Bonus
() -1 Strength Requirement
() -1 Weight (lbs.)
() Usable only by Lawful Good Alignment
() Unique Colour Scheme
() Planned Unique Drawing and BAM files
-[The +1 Dexterity bonus is calculated for Osprey to act as a pseudo 'Defender Weapon +2' for the +1 Dexterity bonus elevates Osprey's 14 Dexterity into 15 Dexterity; thus receiving a +1 bonus to her Armour Class.]
-Also the only other 'natural' / 'default' Non-Player Character who can wield this Two-Handed Sword +1 is Ajantis).

Osprey's Magic Candle:
Osprey's Magic Candle was created so that Osprey can keep her following unique bonuses as she levels up [They reset to default 'gains' if not 'preserved'..]:
+2 bonus to Level One Mage Spell Memorization.
+4 bonus to Paralyze / Poison / Death Saving Throws.

Updates and more images to come.. Stay Tuned folks!

Update 3:
I am thinking of adding Osprey on one of the islands west off of the sword coast in my planned Expansion: Path of the Lost Odyssey: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32091/new-expansion-pack-baldurs-gate-path-of-the-lost-odyssey#latest (She could be possibly be there seeking refuge from prying eyes and trying to 'cool off some unwanted heat'. Perhaps she will recognize you and will find it more appealing for her to travel in numbers rather than alone; knee-deep in pirates, cut-purses, and scoundrels.)[/Spoiler]
Post edited by WithinAmnesia on

Comments

• WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited May 2015
    Osprey's Inventory Update: New Sword, BAM!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Osprey Level 2-1(III)
    Osprey Level 2 Fighter, Level 1 Mage: 4001 Experience.
    -Inventory Items List-
    Item 0: Leather Armour (LEAT01)
    Item 2: [Osprey's Unique Purple-Hilted] Two-Handed Sword +1 [Dexterity bonus +1] (ISW2HO05)
    Item 6: Potion of Fortitude [x3](POTN28)

Gold Wealth: 155

1 - Invisibility

[Level One Spells]
    2 - Magic Missile
    1 - Identify
    0 - Shield
    0 - Friends
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Osprey Level 4-2(III)
    Osprey Level 4 Fighter, Level 3 Mage: 16001 Experience.
    -Inventory Items List-
    Item 0: Hide Armour (LEAT10)
    Item 2: [Osprey's Unique Purple-Hilted] Two-Handed Sword +1 [Dexterity bonus +1] (ISW2HO05)
    Item 7: Light Crossbow (XBOW04)
    Item 8: Bolt [x20](BOLT01)

1 - Invisibility

[Level One Spells]
    2 - Magic Missile
    1 - Identify
    1 - Shield
    0 - Friends
    [Level Two Spells]
    1 - Horror
    0 - Melf's Acid Arrow
    Osprey Level 6-6(III)
    Osprey Level 6 Fighter, Level 6 Mage: 40001 Experience.
    -Inventory Items List-
    Item 0: Chainmail Armour (ICHAN01)
    Item 7: Light Crossbow (XBOW04)
    Item 8: Bolt [x20, x20](BOLT01)

1 - Invisibility

[Level One Spells]
    4 - Magic Missile
    1 - Identify
    1 - Shield
    0 - Friends
    [Level Two Spells]
    1 - Horror
    1 - Melf's Acid Arrow
    0 - Mirror Image
    [Level Three Spells]
    1 - Monster Summoning I
    1 - Ghost Armour
    [Master Thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/32091/new-expansion-pack-baldurs-gate-path-of-the-lost-odyssey#latest ]
    I hope that you enjoy the New Improved Osprey!
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    One thing that might be cool, that might increase interest in your (very, very ambitious) mod would be to release osprey add a bg/bg2(ee) npc mod. Just a thought! :)
    edited January 2015

One thing that might be cool, that might increase interest in your (very, very ambitious) mod would be to release osprey add a bg/bg2(ee) npc mod. Just a thought! :)

I think that I will add parts of the "very, very ambitious" content expansion as mods. I think that an Osprey Mod would be very nice but I would ultimately like to add all five starting characters as mods also. I would like to put Osprey on a 'brand new' location and map: the free port island of Mintarn and she is looking for asylum from 'cloaked figures' trying to locate her or something she has.. So you and Osprey both share a common problem and thus she seeks your help and protection in numbers in a place where you and Imoen are the Only faces that she can recount as allies.

@Grammarsalad‌ What do you think friend? Hmmn, Maybe I will put Deder neck deep in an dungeon crawl go wrong with a 'bazillion' monsters in tow running for the exit, Mordaine in the wood of sharp teeth copper/tin mine and find other planned new locations for the others. -I wonder if Osprey should have her Two-Handed Sword Stolen as she is in the tavern or something and then there is a chase to the docks and the party boards a ship trying to set sail but the party apprehends the 'scaly-wags' and can either: Kill them, let them be or interrogate them, or REALLY interrogate them with a strength check for the thieves' hideout and operation hierarchy or have another option of a charisma check to learn the most with the least damage caused. Hmmn..
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    That sounds fun! Personally, I'm a "creature your own party"type of guy, but still, sounds fun
    edited June 2015
    *Wrong Download File*
    edited June 2015
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    [New] Prototype Osprey Version 1.1 Download: File Attached Below

How to Test The New Osprey:
    -Add Files to Override File in Baldur's Gate Directory.
    -Activate Cheats:
    -Hold Control Press The Space Bar.
    -Type " C:CreateCreature("OSPREY2") " and place screen over an open area and press the Enter Key.
    -Talk to Osprey.
    -Have Fun and Post Feedback if you so Desire (I would love to hear it).

Known Bugs:
    -Dialog Files are not working (I need help with figuring out how to patch the .DLG file with Item Descriptions.)
    -'Prototype Osprey' Uses Imoen's Dialog File for quick recruitment / testing convenience (Her Dialog is not yet ready.)

@mikkle deserves some credit for helping me further develop the 'New' Osprey via private messages from this week.

Notable Character Updates:
    -Class Change: Fighter / Diviner.
    -Osprey now starts with Two Level One Spell Slots (via magic school specialization) that turns into Four Level One Mage Spell Slots granted via Osprey's Magic Candle (+2 bonus to level one Mage spells.)
    -Item Buff: Osprey's Magic Candle ~ +1 Intellect Bonus.
    -Weapon Proficiencies translated into Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Engine ~ ** Two-Handed Sword, * War Hammer, * Crossbow.

Work That Still Needs To Be Done:
    -Dialog / Item Description Updates
    -Changed Innate Ability ~ Replace Invisibility (open to suggests).
    -Quest Integration 'Mod 1' and 'Mod 2' ~ 'Mod 1' is 'Top Secret' but 'Mod 2' is: The Isle of Mintarn ~ Pirate Heaven Extraordinaire!
    (One of my First Planned Modules of Baldur's Gate: Path of the Lost Odyssey).
    -Osprey's Unique Purple Two-Handed Sword +2 'Reforged Quest'.
    -Extra(?)

I am sorry @mikkle I just did not like the metallic cherry hair colour; she looked like a bit of 'pompy' within my 'visual arbitration'. :sweat:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    You should give weidu a try.
    It will make your life easier. Especially if you intend to provide more than one mod.
    People are used to install mods with it. It is a no-brainer for all of us, mod users.
    For instance: declaring your npc as an "actor" of an area is just a few lines to write. Compiling a well formatted dialog text file is a couple of lines at most.
    edited June 2015
    "Regarding change from illusionist to diviner (yes she can represent the diviner class among the NPCs however she does not have 16 wisdom required)." - @mikkle

Yes I am aware that she does not have 16 Wisdom to be a Diviner. Although when has a required statistic ever stopped any of the other Recruitable Non-Player Characters?

My Point of View:
    -Minsc is missing 8 Wisdom 'required' (let alone the 6 that Osprey is missing) to be a 'proper' Ranger. The original Quayle is missing the 16 Dexterity required in order to become a 'Legal' Illusionist. Mordaine the Invoker has 15 Constitution when at a 'legal minimum' she should have 16 Constitution. Also the Player cannot legally become a Drow and yet there are two Drow available for recruitment within Baldur's Gate. Also on the other end of the spectrum Coran has 20 Dexterity when 'legally' he should have 19 and originally he as three "***" into bows when he should only have "**" at the 'legal' most. Kagain has 20 Constitution when at most he should 'legally' have 19. Additionally Arkanis has Extra 'Illegal' base Hit Points and Deder has 'Illegal' Super Thieving Skills for his level. Also consider the Special Innate Abilities that some of the Non-Player Characters have that the player 'mostly' cannot get. This is more compounding for the player has the blood of Bhaal running through 'its' veins and the player Divinely gains Innate Abilities. Also realize that the player character goes on to become a god while the N.P.C.s are mostly just mere mortals.

'Illegal' N.P.C. Innate Abilities:
    -Minsc: Berserk
    -Dynaheir: Slow Poison
    -Yeslick: Dispel Magic
    -Safana: Charm Animal
    -Branwen: Spiritual Hammer
    -Faldorn: Summon Dread Wolf
    -Quayle: Invisibility
    -Eldoth: Create Five Poisoned Arrows
    -Tiax: Summon Ghast
    If you are thinking that this style of thought is 'outdated' and or 'obsolescent' then consider he most recent example: Dorn the 'Illegal Classed' Half-Orc Blackguard.

I support Non-Player Characters having 'Illegal' Attributes and Abilities. In my humble opinion I find that it adds more depth and mystery into the world. I am not a fan of 'Legally Bound' worlds; I find them dreadfully boring and contrived. Also in the spirit of Dungeons and Dragons: "The rules are just good guide lines at best; the dungeon master always has the final say."
    This is why I want Osprey The Fighter / Diviner to have an Illegal Wisdom Score.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I agree that the occasional illegal stat on an npc adds variety to the world.
    edited June 2015
    *Ow ow ow ow ow ow* -My head hurts @mikkle
    I have been learning how to use WeiDU Scripting.. My brain hurts.. I have read a bit too much and too soon.
    http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html#sec3
    I have mostly been reading this though:
    http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=52.0
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Take courage!
    edited June 2015
    Musigny said:

Take courage!

Aww its toque is so cute..
    edited April 2016
    Hey look this mod is not dead after all! I pulled an 'all nighter' and learned how to WeiDU! (It only took nearly a year's worth of procrastination >.>).

Here is the WeiDU file / package that I have that works the 'best'. It doesn't have much and some features are inert and need more work. Such as her missing dialog and the broken script to get Osprey to spawn at AR4300 1079 x, 2906 y - which is just below the tree by the water / stream and a bit north east of Lord Foreshadow. C:CreateCreature("OSPREY2") in the console commands seems to be the only way to get her to spawn in the game unfortunately :-(. Alas now ~two or three people can properly see my items that I made ~2 years ago :-P.

I am really in the dark and I have had to use reverse engineering on little bits and pieces of https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42721/npc-mod-sirene-npc-for-bg-ee-v1-1/p1 and Dark Side of the Sword Coast 2013 to make this tutorial 'work' http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=52.0 . If you know where one can be taught how to make a proper Non-Player Character I am all ears. Right now I am struggling to get Osprey to spawn in at AR4300 1079 x, 2906 y :/.