Skip to content

Legacy of Bhaal mode (small rant)

Hi!
I know this mode is supposed to be tough but it's kind of ridiculous when you can hardly kill the rats in Candlekeep. After approx 1½ rat out of five rats, both my swords were broken, i.e. I would need approx seven (!) swords just to clear out that small infestation. That's 154 gold in swords and then I still need to kill the other two dudes. Tough - yes please! Bordering on ridiculous - no thanks! /J

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    LoB isn't for everyone. It is best played by people who know how to turn the game on its head, who know the engine inside out, and how to tweak even little details. By that I don't mean cheese or outright cheating, but optimization within the rules. LoB is hard, and supposed to be hard. It is by no means impossible, though. In fact, the vanilla version is still too easy for many seasoned veterans, requiring further modding.

Don't give up! Try and take a good look at what you can improve, and find new ways to master the challenges of LoB. Often the best solution in LoB is something you would not have thought of or found necessary in regular mode. Be creative and keep an open mind.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The start of BG1 on LoB is very difficult, yes. It's supposed to be so - after all it's like playing HoF in IWDEE with lvl 1 characters.

Killing these rats is maybe the pinnacle of it all because of the starting gold restrictions, little HPs, bad THAC0 and armour and no gear.

But you can just skip these rats on LoB, - just continue to play.

As @Lord_Tansheron said, this mode is for those who want it, not for everyone.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Use a wooden weapon like a club or staff, they don't break.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @MrSexton So why would you kill the rats?
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    MrSexton said:

Hi!
    I know this mode is supposed to be tough but it's kind of ridiculous when you can hardly kill the rats in Candlekeep. After approx 1½ rat out of five rats, both my swords were broken, i.e. I would need approx seven (!) swords just to clear out that small infestation. That's 154 gold in swords and then I still need to kill the other two dudes. Tough - yes please! Bordering on ridiculous - no thanks! /J

Have you take in consideration that this mode is not intended for everyone?
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
    @SpaceInvader - I've played the game so many times I lost count a long time ago. However, I did not expect super mutated rats at the start of the game. It's not a challenge - just feels stupid. /J

@lunar - thanks för the tip!

/J
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    If I'm not wrong, even katanas can't break, since they were most probably forged somewhere else.