Skip to content

Final battle tactics

ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
Here's the inevitable final battle thread. I'm about to record the final parts for my LP so I'd like to know some of the strategies veterans of the game use.

I'm playing the game with BG1Tutu, on insane difficulty. My party is 2 mages (Edwin + Xan as sorcerer), Viconia, Coran, Kagain and myself, Berserker 5/Cleric 8.

What I'm trying to figure out is something that works reliably (so I don't have to reload 5 times while recording), and allows me to kill all 4 baddies, Sarevok being last. That has proved quite touchy so far. If Sarevok decides to charge, there's not much I can do to except kill him asap, because he hits very hard (kills my 2 fighters in 2-3 hits).

Also Angelo can be a big problem if he decides to use his detonation arrows. Admitedly, I could just cast Resist Fire on everyone, but that's not fool-proof as either Angelo or Semaj casts dispel magic during the fight. If Angelo shows up, I have little choice but to melee him and kill him asap too.

Anyway, here's the best strategy I've developed after a few tries last night:
- Open by casting Greater Malison + Chaos + Horror(innate PC ability) and sending two skeletons in. This usually confuses at least one of them and allows me to retreat.
- Here, Semaj will often teleport in the middle, but he'll be alone and I can focus him down quickly. Meanwhile I cast as many webs as possible behind him to maximize the chance of isolating the others.
- From then on, it's rather unpredictable. Often Angelo will get killed by Sarevok for some reason, either because Sarevok is confused or Angelo caused him damage, I'm not sure. I'm basically hoping they don't all show up together and I can take on Sarevok last, but it's very hard to guarantee. Hold Person, Charm, Otiluke's Resilient sphere, Confusion, etc. work *sometimes* but it's nothing to rely on.

I've had a decent success rate with that but I'm sure you guys have plenty of other ideas.

Comments

• SaberstormSaberstorm Member Posts: 60
    do you have the monster summoning wands? just spam it! :D
    it's the cheapest but most known way of quickly defeating the endd boss.
    Note: i don't recommend it since it makes it to easy..
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    The safest way is to draw them out 1 at a time and just pick them off, then finish Sarevok last.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    do you have the monster summoning wands? just spam it! :D
    it's the cheapest but most known way of quickly defeating the endd boss.
    Note: i don't recommend it since it makes it to easy..
    That doesn't work in Bg1Tutu, there's a ceiling of 5 summons at any time. Anyway I promised my viewers I wouldn't abuse summons :P

The safest way is to draw them out 1 at a time and just pick them off, then finish Sarevok last.
    That might sound stupid, but how do you draw out those behind Sarevok without drawing Sarevok himself?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    It took me several tries but its doable. Angelo and Tazok are the easiest to drag away from the rest if I remember correctly.

Semaj is a pain, not really sure how I eventually managed it.

Yeah, I'm not being very helpful here. >.<
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    ctrl-y often helps take down tougher enemies
    MERLANCElolien
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    That might sound stupid, but how do you draw out those behind Sarevok without drawing Sarevok himself?
    @Zeckul Use boots of speed + haste and preferably stealth or invisibility and a ranged weapon to aggro, then just run back, if they dont follow, redo. Should be able to sneak up on the sides and avoid Sarevok - if that doesn't seem to be working, try summoning monsters, then stealthing with a character and leading the monsters up towards sarevok, continue to move the monsters to the top, drawing sarevok there, then try luring out one of the others while sarevok is busy. Just experiment until something works for you :)
    Saberstorm
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    edited June 2012
    Put Coran on mage duty. Give him some badass arrows and let him go to town on them and they'll fall soon enough. Have your best PC kite Tazok and Sarevok (remove those traps that you can and be aware of them. It's probably worth keeping Find Traps up on your PC) while the rest of your party deal with the mages bombarding them enough to prevent many spell casts. Maybe use Kaigan to tank Angelo away from the rest and give him some fire resistance gear. Once you have downed the mages continue kiting with your PC and then commence bombardment with ranged weapons and magic from the rest of your party. Kaigan should have the Bracers of Dex and throwing axe +2. Use arrows of Peircing on Coran.

Edit: Hmm, that's some wonderful grammar ^^
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @PhillipDaigle hahahaha i like your stradegy there ;)
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    How about your throw 3+ dispel magic in there, and then laugh at what's left of them ;)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Daedalus87m, the four would squash your main party even if they're fighting only with fists, believe me, it's not that simple, as dispel magic and it's done.

Sarevok has a considerable magic res, an awersome thaco, tons of life, and a hard hit.
    Semaj will start the battle with death spell (killing everything you summoned), greater malision, flesh to stone (hope you put one of the summons far from the death spell so he aim the flesh to stone on the summon), and damage magics. This all is done with angelo spamming flame arrows in youy ass and Tazor, that for incredible that appear is the weakest of them, squashing someone of your party alongside sarevok.

i played my last sarevok battle in BGT, so maybe in BG is unlike. By the way, if you ppl spam greater malision and doom on sarevok and they work, DO NOT USE EMOTION SPELL ON SAREVOK (in BGT at least), if he hit the die script while unconcious, the script bug and he don't die more, simple as that.
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    edited June 2012
    I've done BGT, and they certainly didn't squash anything (at least not after I prepared myself ^^). It's important to start off with a few dispell magic and then go area spells like fireball etc. to weaken and kill off the others. Buff your group and pull with a single character, so that the 1st enemy dispell magic goes after him and try to hold him away from the rest of the group. Semaj can be killed right when he teleports the 1st time very quickly, then Angelo has high priority. From there it's almost finished.

It's not that hard, I had harder fights (Tactics + Ascension, that Irenicus just didn't want to die after beating him about 5 times... And Ilych.. with a Fallen Planetar right at the start... :S)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'd be interested in hearing peoples strategies. I'm about to verse Sarevok in BGT (on core difficulty), and to be honest normally I do just spam monsters. I'm not used to the monster summoning limit for that one battle.
    lolien
    Ok so I didn't change much to my original plan, and things went about as well as they could have during the recording (which runs contrary to Murphy's Law but whatever). Here's the link: