Skip to content

Xan possible bugs.

Hi.

My party is between level 2-3, when I picked up Xan, he forced himself to join the party, telling me how to cast and memorize spells. He is a level 6 enchanter (???!!!) and he is already equiped with a moonblade +3, and if I unequip it, he can't re-equip it.

What is going on here? How can he possible be of that high a level? Why have I never seen this dialoge before?

Comments

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited April 2016
    Uhm... Weird.
    Seems like it is the Xan from the tutorial, but you are playing the main campaign, right?
    Are you playing with mods?
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    @Aedan

Yes, main story. No mods

Short anser because I'm on My phone. It autocorrects me to another languages which makes it hard to reply with an in-depth response.
  • imnotgodimnotgod Member Posts: 27
    Hi, I've used Xan countless of times and never encountered this bug. Are you updated to the newest version available? Also, are you sure sure you not playing the tutorial? You would've encountered him in the bottom of Nashkel mines if you playing the main game. I picked him up as soon as yesterday and haven't encountered anything. (By the way, most modern phones have options for different language keyboards, so you can switch it while writing so it won't autocorrect you on every word).
    edited April 2016
    Yes I'm updated to the latest version of the game. IYes we are in the mines of Nashkel. I'm playing on insane.
    @imnotgod

Enabled it know. Have done so before but I rarely type in English, thus I have it turned off.
    edited April 2016
    If you load an Autosave before meeting Xan, can you reproduce the issue?
    Post edited by Aedan on
    edited April 2016
    I'm afraid I've left that area, after I dropped Xan he Said nothing and I can't trigger a dialoge. Might speedrun the game with My level 30 sorcerer and see if it happens again.
    @Aedan
    Post edited by RobertMcDuck on
    Okay. Keep me updated. A save game is in order to reproduce the issue. If it is still present in the speedrun you are going to try, please attach it :)
    edited April 2016
    Alright. Here is the savegame. He should be level 1, as Imoen and the rest of the NPC's are level 1 since I am overleveled.

@Aedan

@imnotgod
  • 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267
    @RobertMcDuck

I had a look for your save, the fact that your character in this save is level 27 means you have a mod installed. At the very least you have a xp cap remover. Any mods you have could mess around with NPCs or anything in the game.

Its new in one of the recent patches that all NPCs start at level 1/2 when you get them then auto gain xp so you can level them up yourself. A test save I just made had my main pc at level 8, when Xan joined me he was level 2 with 32k xp ready for me to level him up myself.

Looking at your Xan the fact he cant use his blade proves that the NPC in your save isnt the "real" Xan as his weapon was coded and changed to only work with the original NPC Xan. So even know yours looks like Xan its actually the mods version of him and that's why he is broken like that. This can be further proven by the fact that his initial script is 'bddefai' instead of the NPC script 'xdxanc'. Likewise as you mentioned in your posts your Xan is starting with his weapon and his dialogue is different. In a unmodded game you have to collect his weapon before talking to him in order for him to have the sword.

So I hope that helps. :)
    edited April 2016
    The sorcerer is transfered from Baldur's Gate ToB. (Just to get there quickly) As I said, no mods installed. Is there any other possible reason?

EDIT: It would probably take months to get to level 27 without Baldur's Gate 2 :P

@00zim00
  • imnotgodimnotgod Member Posts: 27
    Hi mate, I'm not on the computer now so can't check your save. But if you're playing a plain game (no mods) I see no way this could happen. Logic dictates that it's not really possible - so I admit I'm a little lost for solutions. Like someone said above the fact that he's starting with his blade is a sign of corruption. As he doesn't, and the code can't just bug like that to my knowledge. I'm curios if this would happen if you did a new vanilla run, but without being on the computer and having access to the data I'm afraid I got no better answer.
  • 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267
    edited April 2016
    @RobertMcDuck

I donno then man, its odd as I cant reproduce it from a brand new game. Have you tried completely deleting your install and the BG1 folder in my documents directly then re installing? You can back it up before you do but worth a test.

Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition is the folder where your saves are as well as any mods if they happen to be there.

Failing that you might want to send the save and all the information to the devs either using a support ticket or adding it as a bug report in the Redmine.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49852/what-should-you-do-when-you-find-a-bug-in-sod-or-want-this-or-that-thing-to-look-behave-differently#latest

The devs i would think will be able to magic hack the file and see if there is something going on behind the scenes. I had a look myself using EE but i couldn't see anything obvious, Sorry I cant help you more.

Edit: Question, which version do you have? Steam, gog, stand alone, ect. And do you have the 2.1 patch?

Edit 2: "Have done so before but I rarely type in English, thus I have it turned off. "
    @Cerevant , sorry to hail you.. but if its not the things we mentioned could it be something to do with the non English versions? I know there was bugs related to non English characters in save directories but i don't remember hearing anything about it braking npcs.. if it is that i would have no way to test it myself.
    edited April 2016
    It doesn't really bother me, and as it seems I am the only one running in to this, I see little point in posting a bug report, as it probably isn't one. If others should find this "bug" and have it break their game, they will probably find this thread. Just thought this was utterly wierd.

"Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition is the folder where your saves are as well as any mods if they happen to be there."

Obviously I know this, since I shared my savegame with you, haha!

@00zim00