Skip to content

Any news on the IOS version?

Sorry to clutter the boards but I mostly play BG on my phone nowadays. I can't find any release dates in the iOS version, can anyone point to a source or website?
GrumSithdreadnaught

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Sorry to clutter the boards but I mostly play BG on my phone nowadays. I can't find any release dates in the iOS version, can anyone point to a source or website?

Hopefully really soon. I'm doing a play through in anticipation. Maybe a second if it takes too long...
    ReadingRamboMacHurtoSithdreadnaught
  • hwatteverhwattever Member Posts: 8
    If i bought the collectors edition can i request for an ios key instead of steam?
    Sithdreadnaught
  • SithdreadnaughtSithdreadnaught Member Posts: 22
    Any news on the release date for the ios version?
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I thought I heard May but I don't have a source on me.
    Sithdreadnaught
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    I'm awaiting it too. I just bought an iPad, and I will probably play it on my new iPad. That said, if they have not given a specific date (they haven't), then I don't think it's any use asking. One thing I know is that it takes forever to get Apple to approve anything. So, even if it's done, the game has to go through the Apple Store -- which takes forever! LOL
    Sithdreadnaught
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    I broke down and bought it on PC lol. Now to figure out what PC to make, which takes a very long time for me lol
    Sithdreadnaught
  • TyranariiTyranarii Member Posts: 2
    This is just massively frustrating and, as posters in other threads have put it, like being at the back of the queue. To put things in perspective (assuming the font of all wisdom is correct, given I wasn't paying attention in 2012), according to Wikipedia, BGEE released on 28 November 2012 for Windows, and on 7 December 2012 for iOS. 9 days! We are now 3 weeks since SOD release and not even a release date announced.
    Sithdreadnaught
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    BG2 took longer than 9 days, I think. I am happily redoing BG1 now waiting for it to release. Prefer one month later but bug free, to be honest, as there is no console access
    Sithdreadnaught
  • LorandarLorandar Member Posts: 33
    Correct, I assume porting the game to iPad is currently being delayed until version 2.x has been released and is deemed to be sufficiently bug free.
    Even though it may be slightly frustrating having to wait for the patch and the expansion to become available on iPad, it is even more so to continuously run into bugs while playing. Most iPad players won't jailbreak their device in order to allow mods and creative thinkering to fix issues, and as such expect a (relatively) bug free product.
    So I'm happy to wait.
    Sithdreadnaught
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560

I thought I heard May but I don't have a source on me.

Lol it wasn't May.
  • magaritymagarity Member Posts: 51
    Does the apple store show sales rankings? Android version appears to be in the same boat; google store show bg2 is only a 10k+ in sales. That may be too small potatoes to get much development action :(
  • BarnabasBarnabas Member Posts: 10
    10k sales is 100 grand, I don't think they will be passing that up lol
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @magarity
    I guess SoD will be available for mobile devices within the end of August (2016)...........
    I do hope the forumites can get some good news about what is happening at Beamdog's offices by the end of this month......
  • BarnabasBarnabas Member Posts: 10
    It will be more encouraging when they give us some info on release date.
  • schreierschreier Member Posts: 79
    Anyone else surprised at the lack of update?
    Grum
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    At this point I'd be more surprised by the suggestion of an update. Seriously, Beamdog seems to be masters of taking a bad PR situation and making it worse.
    catsarekacamp
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cage50Cage50 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 18

In discussions about the next project there have been a number of statements like "we appreciate the input but we are not putting much effort into the next project as most of our resources are going to getting the iOS/Android versions of 2.3 out the door.

Where are you getting your info? You must know of a better place than the forums because it's only been through threads like this one that I've been able to find anything related to a tablet release.

Where has Beamdog been giving updates about any of this?
    who_is_daniel
    Barnabas said:

10k sales is 100 grand, I don't think they will be passing that up lol

For a 6 month development effort that's not even salary for 4 developers, never mind coffee and a manager.
    Avenger_teambg
    edited August 2016
    @subtledoctor Personally I would appreciate a "we are still working on this" or "doesnt make sense finantially, we had to drop it" kind of note :-) no need for deadlines. Maybe a "most likely not before 2017" or some soft threshold like that which doesnt tie them to anything.
    who_is_daniel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    MacHurtowho_is_daniel
    That's true, but they were a while back. Hope you are right on that forecast!
    I thought at one point, it was "May" -- but then haven't heard anything since. I agree that I want them to do it right, and they might not know how long ... but any breadcrumb would be most appreciated :)
    who_is_daniel
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238

How is that "making it worse?"

People are disillusioned and frustrated by the utter level of silence we're getting on anything. You say we've had responses from them, what's the most recent one you can find? It's been ages, judging from any thread I've looked at.

You don't treat you audience like this. You don't just go silent and not address anyone or anything about future content, or... hell... even the collectors edition some of us were stupid enough to buy. A "keep your pants on, we are working on X, Y, and, if we can swing it, Z. It's taking a lot of time, but we're not leaving you hanging to focus entirely on a new project" would be really nice. Or "Yep. A new project is in the works, we had to pull everyone off SoD, so Android/iOS and BG2 content isn't in the cards. Trust me, though, this project will be worth it". It would suck, but it would mean I don't have to sit here.

Honestly, I'm *this* close to just giving up. SoD isn't worth this. I have been seriously considering buying the game on my phone, after having bought the collector's edition. Even after having played it and seen it for what it is. People tell me this is a niche game with only nostalgia-driven fools to fund it. What happens when the nostalgia-driven fools get bored of waiting in silence? The saying "keep them wanting more" means to keep your audience energized and hungry, it does not mean "leave them starved and uninformed".
    who_is_daniel
    While we're on the topic (sort of) I'd like to mention (again) that these whopping huge games take up almost all of the internal device storage so please make the Android version more friendly to "move to SD". The puny 50MB or so out of 2GB that it currently is willing to move doesn't help.
    Some people's carriers have blocked this function but the rest of us still have it.
    Hudzy
    Agreed with the last two posters. On size, I actually spent more money on the 128gb phone just so I could have bg, bg sod, bg2 and icewind dale (and iw2 if it ever comes out)
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    schreier said:

Agreed with the last two posters. On size, I actually spent more money on the 128gb phone just so I could have bg, bg sod, bg2 and icewind dale (and iw2 if it ever comes out)

Yeah, but I don't think the Apple Store allows apps that big...
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    4GB is the maximum... hence why they are working towards that goal...
    rapsam2003
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Mr2150 said:

4GB is the maximum... hence why they are working towards that goal...

I'm gonna need a bigger iPad....
    Mr2150CrevsDaak