Skip to content

[Resolved] Import characters from Dragonspear to BG2:EE?

SabrosanoSabrosano Member Posts: 5
edited April 2016 in Troubleshooting
I'm not sure if this was intended to be possible or if I'm just supposed to import them from my BG:EE final save. If it is possible though I'm having some trouble..

I've tried placing the save files in the appropriate place but when I go to import from save there is no save file to import from (even though I should still be able to see the standard BG2:EE savegames i created on there in order to create the folder in the first place).

Is there a folder that holds exported character files and would such a method allow me to keep my pantaloons?

I am officially confused and need some much appreciated advice.
Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Hi @Sabrosano for Shadows of Amn, Single Player-> Import should provide a list of BGEE and SoD saves from the BGEE documents location, i.e. no need to move the saves.

If you're not seeing this, are you playing on Mac?
    Thanks
  • SabrosanoSabrosano Member Posts: 5
    Hi, @Gate70 thanks for the very speedy reply.

Unfortunately I can only see the pre-made character files that come with the game and in the import from save option the menu is blank.

I am running this on a Windows 10 machine.

I;m not sure but i think I may have installed BG2:EE before both BG:EE and Dragonspear... could this cause the issue or am I grasping at straws here? I guess a re-installation of BG2 would be the next course of action is this is a possibility.

One more possibility.. I enjoy playing single player but with a custom party, so I was using the multiplayer option before in my games. Am I unable to import characters from/to multiplayer?
    BGIIEE can be installed before or after the others. Are you using v2.1.63.2, earlier versions may not look in the correct place.

For single player with one character, use Import Game instead of New Game.

For single player with a party, use New Game -> Create Party - > Create -> Import -> Saved Game
    (I've just tested this with a party of 6, you have to repeat the last 3 steps for each character slot

For Multiplayer, it should be the same as single player with a party. A quick test indicates it might only be reading the save files instead of the mpsave files though so I need to clear my folders and make certain.

Hope this makes sense.
    Very useful information, thanks. This is more enhanced than i realised (I'm so used to the old school versions of the games).

Sadly the save import menu is still blank for me.

I really appreciate all of your efforts here.
    I think the intention is to only allow single player to single player (working) and multiplayer to multiplayer (currently doing single player to multi-player, now reported).

Trying to do MP to SP or SP to MP may well overcomplicate matters as most players would not want to switch modes part way through their run?

For the time being, if you copy from mpsave to save, or mpsodsave to save (all bgee), BGIIEE should import. Are you able to check and report back please.
    Thank you
    Still no joy I'm afraid. The SoD save is definitely in the BG2 saves too as it appears as loadable (although obviously cannot be loaded) when creating a game; it just doesn't appear in the import menu.
    I tried importing with the save in both the mpsave and save folders.
    I've put a screenshot and a screen capture here to show what should currently happen.

On the left are the four BGEE/SoD save folders, with one save in each.
    BGIIEE is open on the right.
    After 30 seconds I open SoD up.
    At 45 seconds I'm loading a SoD save (apologies to whoever's save this was...)
    I then closed SoD to show BGIIEE then thought it would be better to show the SoD part in more detail.

At 1m10 I load that SoD save.
    At 1m25 I quickly check there are no pantaloons.
    At 1m30 I console in the pantaloons.
    At 1m45 I make a new sodsave, close SoD and show the new save in the left 3rd folder.

At 2m10 I click New Game in BGIIEE (ignore the bit slightly before that, misclick).
    Create Party

Create
    Import
    Saved Game: List of original BGEE+SoD saves plus newly created SoD save, selected that.
    Selected a character
    Done
    (repeated the previous 5 steps to take a 2nd character from the save)

Click Play, skip Irenicus cutscene, respond to Imoen.
    Send Imoen to check out the pantaloons.

If you're not getting the same can you do an equivalent of the screenshot please, showing contents of each *save folder plus version number of the game.

Thanks
    Hey, sorry I had to get to bed before you responded there.

You'll be glad to know that with the information you just provided I managed to work out what I needed to do and I have now successfully imported my characters. (It only saw saves from the sodsave folder and I hadn't created one yet).

Thank you so much, you've been great, especially with the lengths you went to in order to help me.
  • xscott71xxscott71x Member Posts: 63
    @Gate70 Thanks bro. don't know if you're still here, but I used your video and it helped me.