Skip to content

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning , opinions?

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
I was looking around in Steam and saw I had Kingdoms of Amalur. I don't remember ever actually playing it meaning I probs bought it on sale and never touched it >_>

Is it worth adding onto my to-do list of RPGs? Like how's the setting, story, characters, classes/combat systems, etc?

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    It's pretty fun and mindless, enjoyable but forgettable. Think Elder Scrolls meets WoW....
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    I would recommend playing something else my friend. It's an MMO that got changed into a singleplayer game without changing the quest design and the story/lore is an incredibly bland and paint-by-numbers fantasy world.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Oh.
    I'll prob continue my plan of playing Morrowind and then Pillars of Eternity after I finish my current BG run.

I'll probs try it one day. Probably.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning wasn't bad. The teams behind the game just couldn't properly evaluate their fundings properly. Ultimately coming short of $1.5mil and getting shut down as a result.

RA Salvatore did a good job in writing the setting though. Lots of fey stuff to be seen here.
    Vallmyrwoowoovoodoo
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Kingdoma of amalur was almost a great game, unfortunately the developers couldn't decide whether they wanted a single or multiplayer game. They were using reckoning as a stepping stone to making an mmo. If they'd have focused on making it as a singleplayer it'd probably have been a fantastic game. It's still worth considering if it's on cheap though.
    woowoovoodoo
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    It was funny but not more than that. I actually remember those forest spirits and fairies.
    Kamigoroshi
    Ok, it having to do with fey-folk sort of has me really interested. Maybe I'll do the introduction this evening and see how that goes.
    From what little research I've done I'll probs play a female dark elf (I don't remember the actual spelling). Since I like Bards I'll probs distribute points evenly between might, sorcery, and finesse for that jack-of-all-trades feel or I might just go finesse/sorcery.

Definitely using the Faeblades and possibly a staff or another sorcery weapon.

I mean, this can't be worse than Inquisition's MMO styled quests, right?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Well... let's just say that KoA:R's strongest points are its setting and combat system. The quests, side quests and house quests on the other hand are average. And can get repetive. Like, alot. So please don't expect depths to them. They are quite numerous though. It will probably take at least 200 hours to play through everything.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The gameplay is incredibly satisfying, which is nice to see in an Action RPG. It does feel a little generic in terms of quest and plot structure, and the storyline didn't grab me as tightly as I wanted it to.

It's worth a look, though; they did a lot of things right in the design of that game.
    VallmyrKamigoroshi
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    It's a very solid looking and playing title. The issue was actually, of all people, Curt Schilling. It's pretty much the one and only game his company ever made. They went all out, going so far as getting R.A. Salvatore to write a unbelievably detailed lore for the world. It's exactly what you want if you want a truly single-player MMO, because that's basically what it is. It's solid. Problem is, it didn't come close to recouping it's budget, and Schilling's company essentially ended up defrauding the state of Rhode Island out of millions of dollars in incentives they got to run the studio from that state.
    Yeah I had heard about that. It's a shame that the employees weren't given any notice >_>

So played a few hours and I'm in love with the world. I love that the lore stones sing you stories about the world and its characters!

Race selection was kind of slim since it was two human types and two elf types but whatever. I enjoy that they have the summer Fey court (Seelie) and the winter Fey court (Unseelie).

The class thing is cool since it is based on your skill point distribution. I still plan on going might/sorcery/finesse to emulate a Bard.

The combat is fun for the hack & slash nature of the game. I'm normally not a fan of such gameplay but I enjoy using the staff and two daggers atm.

I'm assuming you're always solo or are there any permanent followers you can get?

The actual world is SUPER pretty and I love the enemy designs. I love the whole Fey-theming of everything.

I'll put it on my to-do list from my first little incursion. Thanks for the info, everyone n_n
    Kamigoroshi
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    It is fun. I spent a fair few hours at it. But it absolutely feels like an MMO without the online and social component. If, like me, you enjoy exploring the MMO worlds but don't want all of the people interfering with your gaming experience, it is well worth the time. Just don't expect it to actually be Morrowind or anything. Oh, and it is very pretty.
    KamigoroshiVallmyr
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I'd give it a try. In case of PC originals like The Elder Scrolls (Morrowind) or Dragon Age, I really hate the MMO blandness and grind-fest influences.

In case of Amalur this is actually intended, and well executed. (IMO)
    Vallmyr
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited April 2016
    I'd say it's fun for the first 20% of the game. I made the "mistake" (I guess you'd call it?) of 100% exploring the first 3 or 4 zones you go through and by the time I was done w/ that, I felt that I was over-powered for the following zones and the fun-ness took a dive. All of the items I found were worse then the stuff I had on my character and the enemies were too easy to kill. I think it suffers from the same woe of the new Dragon Age game in that it doesn't shepherd you along quickly and that leads to gameplay mismatches.

Still, a good deal for the $5 I paid for it.
    Vallmyr