Skip to content

Siege of Dragonspear: The RPG Codex Review

epicrakshasasIIepicrakshasasII Member Posts: 4
For your reading and intellectual enjoyment, I bring you the review of Siege of Dragonspear by the RPG Codex, a prestigious gaming magazine. Please note that I did not write this review. Hopefully this is the right place to put this, but I hope it can inspire civilized and cultured discussion, just like the ones we have on the Codex.
(Warning: the review contains a few uses of minor swearing. If you are easily offended or do not want to read material with swearing in it, I ask that you do not go into the comments section of the review.)

Without further ado:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10279
lunarMoradinsparkleavelminsterjankielJustLeftAxie

Comments

• BanArdBanArd Member Posts: 60
    Very good review, pretty on point.
    JustLeft
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    What are you still doing here? The review is over. Beamdog's representative will be here at any moment to give me my hard-earned bribe.
    Hahahahah..
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    Interesting read, with some very good points. I though the Codex was going to bash SoD pretty hard since they love their classics, yet this is a somewhat positive review that even managed to recommend the game, positive enough that the reviewer is taking flak from his peers on the comment section :D
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Good review but I had to disagree with his commentary about Glint when you have Jan in BG2 who does the same thing...
    Aedan
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited April 2016
    Love the Space Insect!

Here is a Rainbow Arrow for your support!

• RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Very good review.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Review B-

Associated comments F for lack of effort.
    illathid
  • epicrakshasasIIepicrakshasasII Member Posts: 4
    I personally think that the reason this got such a seemingly positive review is because expectations were very low on the Codex. Lots of people there actually really don't like BG1 and 2 and see them as the start of the "Bioware decline". The Kodex Kritical Konsensus was that SoD would be very, very bad, especially based on how the Codex felt about the EEs. Still, keep in mind that the Codex is not at all a hivemind. The admins will more or less publish any review that gets handed to them, thus the 4 (or is it 5?) Pillars of Eternity reviews. Even though this review was positive, the associating threads had a good bit of negativity too.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    The review is pretty good. It raises some thoughtful points and impartially addresses some of the issues.

The comments sections seems like a ten man circle-jerk clique.
    lansounetsparkleavSpaceInvaderKrotos
    Never ever read the comments section. A part of you can die if you do that.
    epicrakshasasIIAedanSpaceInvaderKrotos
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    edited April 2016

I personally think that the reason this got such a seemingly positive review is because expectations were very low on the Codex. Lots of people there actually really don't like BG1 and 2 and see them as the start of the "Bioware decline". The Kodex Kritical Konsensus was that SoD would be very, very bad, especially based on how the Codex felt about the EEs. Still, keep in mind that the Codex is not at all a hivemind. The admins will more or less publish any review that gets handed to them, thus the 4 (or is it 5?) Pillars of Eternity reviews. Even though this review was positive, the associating threads had a good bit of negativity too.

7 PoE reviews :)

And after this SoD review was much more positive than people there expected, I am sure someone will take it upon themselves to write a negative one as well.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    lansounet said:

Good review but I had to disagree with his commentary about Glint when you have Jan in BG2 who does the same thing...

Ya, that was my beef with the review as well. Put Valygar and Jan in the same party and you pretty much get the same seriousness/wacky spectrum from the review.

Besides that, he is pretty much spot on.

Figuring Baldur's Gate was Bioware's second game after Shattered Steel shows just how insanely critical Codex users are.

And you won't get banned for posting a review :wink:
    Balrog99
    He worded that wrongly, he meant that overall decline of RPGs that started with Bg1. People at the time only liked turn based RPGs but in last 15+ years there have been many new members that like real time as well.
    I dunno. There were a lot of real-time rpgs before BG that were massively popular. Ultima 7 part 1-2, Ultima Underworld 1-2, Lands of Lore, Might and Magic 6-7 + + + +
  • epicrakshasasIIepicrakshasasII Member Posts: 4
    The decline of RPGs that I was referring to was the companion-oriented Bioware stuff that they devolved into later on with the romance simulators and the "sweeping, epic story". BG does get a good amount of hate for being Real-time with Pause, because of the turn based bias that exists. However, it is considered to be better RTwP than most RTwP games.
    elminster
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2016
    "From the creators of the Neverwinter Nights original campaign"

Explains a LOT...
    SpaceInvaderRawgrimDamianus
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I went to the RPG Codex for my daily dose of hate, vitriol and rage. Instead, I got a levelheaded review that praised the game's strengths and pointed out its flaws in a calm and coordinated manner.

NOW what do I do? I need my +2 damage and +15 hitpoints!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Huh. Go figure. That's the best, most reasonable review of SoD I've read to date. RPG Codex is the *last* place on the internet I would have expected to find such a calm, well-thought out review from some one who clearly played the whole game before reviewing it, and who knows how to keep perspective on things without being influenced by mob mentality.

Thanks for posting it here on the Beamdog forums, @epicrakshasasII , because I would have never gone to RPG Codex on my own to get any advice, news, or even pleasant conversation about anything to do with gaming.
    illathid
    edited April 2016
    Banned? o_O

I just checked brave warriors @epicrakshasasII account profile and there is no level 3 warning or mention as to why. Two of their posts are in this thread, one other nothing worth banning over.

Too many egg shells to walk around.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Just a note. Using multiple accounts is strictly against the site rules, but it was the case here.

Carry on.
    mf2112Gozeta
    Oh. Okay. Thanks for the clarification brave warrior @bengoshi
    JuliusBorisov
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Its a bit odd though, over on the codex forums he said, "I just posted the review on the Beamdog forums. Wonder how long till I get banned."... Did he mean this in relation to his multiple accounts or did he really think he would get banned for posting a review? :/
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    He likely knew that multiple accounts will earn him that?
    mf2112Aedan
    edited April 2016
    Drugar said:

I went to the RPG Codex for my daily dose of hate, vitriol and rage. Instead, I got a levelheaded review that praised the game's strengths and pointed out its flaws in a calm and coordinated manner.

NOW what do I do? I need my +2 damage and +15 hitpoints!

You should read Codex Fallout 4 review. That one is even better. But be careful, it is so long it might crit you in the head for 1000 damage.
    Axie
  • AndreaBeckAndreaBeck Member Posts: 9
    The review was really good. totally Agree!!!!!!