Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

I would love to see a 5th edition computer game set in the Forgotten Realms.

I really hope they do one that's a BG3 and one that's not a BG3, and I hope the one that isn't is set somewhere we've never seen a FR computer game go. For me what would really draw me to a unique Beamdog FR IP separate from BG would be places nowhere near the Sword Coast or Sword Coast North, and this is probably just my personal preference but I'd prefer if they set it somewhere aside from the Moonsea region, Al-Qadim, Menzoberranzan, the Icewind Dales or the Dalelands...but that said, the places you go in Demon Stone are far-flung enough from one another that any one of them as a focus would be welcome to me as a setting for a new game. I also wouldn't necessarily mind a game in the Utter East, even though Blood & Magic already went there, mostly because that was a strategy game rather than a proper RPG.

But basically anywhere else than where we've already been feels like a good bet, and if they wanted to emphasize the latter D in D&D, I think a game set in Skalnaedyr and surrounding areas in Murghôm would be AWESOME, setting a game in Sembia has lots of potential given their status as a vassal of the returned Netherese Empire...there's just so much out there that's got so much potential!
    sparkleavShapiroKeatsDarkMageGozetaJuliusBorisov
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I honestly don't mind if they stick to the Sword Coast. I would love to see a Neverwinter Nights 3 or equivalent. :smile:

Not saying there's anything wrong with exploring new ground. That'd be pretty cool too, I just don't mind if they stick with the same locations.
    GozetaShapiroKeatsDarkMageCvijeta
    edited May 2016
    I mind. Not "won't buy it" mind, but "would roll my eyes and sigh at the press release" mind.

It would sort of be like if 80%+ of the episodes of every season of every series of Star Trek took place entirely on Bajor. DS9 doesn't even do that.
    Gozetasparkleav
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Well, isn't that interesting ~
    GozetaGenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisov
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

I would love to see a 5th edition computer game set in the Forgotten Realms.

I really hope they do one that's a BG3 and one that's not a BG3, and I hope the one that isn't is set somewhere we've never seen a FR computer game go. For me what would really draw me to a unique Beamdog FR IP separate from BG would be places nowhere near the Sword Coast or Sword Coast North, and this is probably just my personal preference but I'd prefer if they set it somewhere aside from the Moonsea region, Al-Qadim, Menzoberranzan, the Icewind Dales or the Dalelands...but that said, the places you go in Demon Stone are far-flung enough from one another that any one of them as a focus would be welcome to me as a setting for a new game. I also wouldn't necessarily mind a game in the Utter East, even though Blood & Magic already went there, mostly because that was a strategy game rather than a proper RPG.

But basically anywhere else than where we've already been feels like a good bet, and if they wanted to emphasize the latter D in D&D, I think a game set in Skalnaedyr and surrounding areas in Murghôm would be AWESOME, setting a game in Sembia has lots of potential given their status as a vassal of the returned Netherese Empire...there's just so much out there that's got so much potential!
    I would like an al-qadim game so i can make a Aladdin-esque character and fight a black cloud of vengeance.
    ButtercheeseSethDavisVarwulf

I mind. Not "won't buy it" mind, but "would roll my eyes and sigh at the press release" mind.

It would sort of be like if 80%+ of the episodes of every season of every series of Star Trek took place entirely on Bajor. DS9 doesn't even do that.

That's understandable.

But like a game set in Waterdeep would be relatively new. What was the last game set there? Hordes of the Underdark?

I mean there's a lot of the sword coast that hasn't been visited often. Even Baldur's Gate hasn't been featured all that much, given that there are two entire games named after it.
    sparkleavGenderNihilismGirdleCvijeta
    edited May 2016
    @BelleSorciere
    the Eye of the Beholder games before HotU as well IIRC, but even going North of Waterdeep and Neverwinter along Sword Coast North just feels too familiar to me, I wanna see environs geographically and politically distinct from the Sword Coast. Amn was actually pretty great in BG2 because that's getting south enough along it that it starts to feel slightly different from that Pacific Northwest inspired rugged frontiersy feel of most Sword Coast locations, so even further south of Amn might be a cool idea too if they're going to stick to the Sword Coast...but the Northwest of Faerun is just so, so overdone in computer gaming (IMHO)

which, again, isn't to say I'm not super pumped for BG3 (I mean, I'm from the Pacific NW so on one level I like all the dedication to a fantasy analogue of my homelands), and honestly I want BG3 equally as much as I want them to come out with their own 5e FR IP, I just want their own FR IP to feel very distinct from when they put out BG3
    justfeelinathomelolienGozeta
  • elmurdocelmurdoc Member Posts: 17
    Well a idea for me to do a BG3, it have to be about two posibilities:

One should be the son of charname with Viconia / Jaheira / Aerie you have to choose in the character creation but the race of your character will be Charname

The other story can be happening at the same time of the bg2 but not related, like a new threat in bg city

But i prefer a new game, where you can visit a few cities from baldurs to nwn with a lot in the middle, call it Faerun if you will

Or a new place like Dragonlance or Darksun

Also you can do something new, non dnd, like pillars of eternity or non fantasy, maybe a post apocalyptic or even steampunk world
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    deltago said:

anyone check out the link http://www.planescapetorment.com/

looks promising.

Unfortunately it's said coming soon for at least a year or more. I periodically check that site to see if anything has changed....
    GenderNihilismGirdleButtercheeseJuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2016
    deltago said:

looks promising.

I seem to recall @bengoshi saying it has been that way for a couple of years now.

Edit: it was a year ago i brought that up... no change since then. Here is a link to the post https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/628527/#Comment_628527
    GenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited May 2016
    deltago said:

looks promising.

Owned by an Austrailian company that does websites.
    Domain Name: PLANESCAPETORMENT.COM
    Registrar: MELBOURNE IT, LTD. D/B/A INTERNET NAMES WORLDWIDE
    Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 13
    Whois Server: whois.melbourneit.com
    Referral URL: http://www.melbourneit.com.au
    Companies like this will buy up domain names in the hopes that someone will want to buy it off them someday.
    GenderNihilismGirdlecmk24JuliusBorisovGrammarsalad
    edited May 2016

@BelleSorciere
    the Eye of the Beholder games before HotU as well IIRC, but even going North of Waterdeep and Neverwinter along Sword Coast North just feels too familiar to me, I wanna see environs geographically and politically distinct from the Sword Coast. Amn was actually pretty great in BG2 because that's getting south enough along it that it starts to feel slightly different from that Pacific Northwest inspired rugged frontiersy feel of most Sword Coast locations, so even further south of Amn might be a cool idea too if they're going to stick to the Sword Coast...but the Northwest of Faerun is just so, so overdone in computer gaming (IMHO)

which, again, isn't to say I'm not super pumped for BG3 (I mean, I'm from the Pacific NW so on one level I like all the dedication to a fantasy analogue of my homelands), and honestly I want BG3 equally as much as I want them to come out with their own 5e FR IP, I just want their own FR IP to feel very distinct from when they put out BG3

Hey, I'm not only from the Pacific Northwest, I live there! That's one reason I like the Sword Coast.

I never played the Eye of the Beholder games. I own them (and the other gold box games) but I never really got the hang of playing them properly and stuck to Infinity Engine and Neverwinter Nights stuff.

You know the Forgotten Realms player book for D&D 5e is Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide? :D
    GenderNihilismGirdle

@BelleSorciere

Hey, I'm not only from the Pacific Northwest, I live there! That's one reason I like the Sword Coast.

I never played the Eye of the Beholder games. I own them (and the other gold box games) but I never really got the hang of playing them properly and stuck to Infinity Engine and Neverwinter Nights stuff.

You know the Forgotten Realms player book for D&D 5e is Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide? :D
    Indeed, I do know that and have glanced through it!

I'm back living here currently too, although I'm moving back out east pretty soon. Nature is prettier out here, but I got more goin' for me further east.
    BelleSorciereGozeta

Indeed, I do know that and have glanced through it!

I'm back living here currently too, although I'm moving back out east pretty soon. Nature is prettier out here, but I got more goin' for me further east.
    Aww, you'll move farther away! Which is okay, really.

GenderNihilismGirdle
    That's what this here innernette's for! :D
    BelleSorcieremlnevesesparkleav
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Damn, you're good, dear Watson, you're really good at this.
    ButtercheeseGenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisov
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    OH YEAH
    5e also provides lots of guidelines for homebrew content and WotC regularly posts homebrew content like the spell-less ranger and Favored Soul. I always love the promotion of homebrew. Not enough DMs that I play with really delve into it.
    GenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisov
  • LaflammeLaflamme Member Posts: 54
    edited May 2016
    deltago said:

BillyYank said:

deltago said:

looks promising.

Owned by an Austrailian company that does websites.
    Domain Name: PLANESCAPETORMENT.COM
    Registrar: MELBOURNE IT, LTD. D/B/A INTERNET NAMES WORLDWIDE
    Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 13
    Whois Server: whois.melbourneit.com
    Referral URL: http://www.melbourneit.com.au
    Companies like this will buy up domain names in the hopes that someone will want to buy it off them someday.
    Oh I know. It's been like that for the last two years at least. Trent registers his own domains. ATM there are 51 names registered via Beamdog (58 registered via Trent Oster)

Back in February 2014, there was only 32 according to @bengoshi
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/29946/icewind-dale-domain-registered-to-trent-oster-hint-hint/

So in those 20 extra probably lie the name of the next game Beamdog is going to release.

You all can speculate (or play hangman) via:
    http://reversewhois.domaintools.com/beamdog

b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.net
    b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ v.com
    b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ v.com
    b _ _ _ _ _ g.com
    b _ _ _ _ _ g.net
    b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ c.com
    b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    b _ _ _ e.com
    c _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    d _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ p.com
    d _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ t.com
    f _ _ _ _ d.com
    g _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    i _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    i _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    i _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    i _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    i _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ y.com
    k _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    k _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    l _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ k.com
    l _ _ _ _ _ _ m.com
    m _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    m _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    m _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    m _ _ _ _ _ t.com
    m _ _ _ _ _ _ m.com
    n _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    n _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ d.com
    n _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    n _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    o _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    o _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    o _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ o.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ p.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ h.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ y.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ y.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ g.com
    s _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    s _ _ _ _ _ _ y.com
    s _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    t _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com

Note there are none that start with a P. Also, the beamdog team has used Planescape as a red herring before. When they were about to release IWD, @Dee changed his profile pic to Morte driving the speculation that PST was next instead of IWD, even though all the signs pointed to IWD.

But I have been known to be wrong before. Maybe Trent learnt his lesson (he does that) and registers them all privately now. But it wouldn't explain the extra 20.

edit: oh btw, one of the websites is bg3ee.com registered to Jonathan Hill, instead of Trent. Who is he? Well is an art coordinator at Beamdog with a much harder name to narrow searches down so....
    Let's try to decrypt this! So far, I have :

b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.net = b a l d u r s g a t e.net
    b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com = b a l d u r s g a t e 2 e e.com
    b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ v.com
    b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ v.com
    b _ _ _ _ _ g.com = b e a m d o g.com
    b _ _ _ _ _ g.net = b e a m d o g.net
    b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ c.com
    b _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    b _ _ _ e.com = b g 2 e e.com
    c _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    d _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ t.com
    f _ _ _ _ d.com
    i _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com = i c e w i n d a l e e e.com
    i _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    i _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    i _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    i _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ y.com
    k _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    k _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    l _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ k.com
    l _ _ _ _ _ _ m.com
    m _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    m _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    m _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    m _ _ _ _ _ t.com
    m _ _ _ _ _ _ m.com
    n _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com = n e v e r w i n t e r n i g h t s e e.com
    n _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ d.com = n e v e r w i n t e r n i g h t s e n h a n c e d.com
    n _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    n _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    o _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    o _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    o _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ o.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ p.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ h.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ y.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ y.com
    r _ _ _ _ _ _ g.com
    s _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ r.com = s i e g e o f d r a g o n s p e a r.com
    s _ _ _ _ _ _ y.com
    s _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ e.com
    t _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com
    mlneveseGenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisov
    I really like both Pathfinder and 5e. I totally get what @Vallmyr said about system mastery in Pathfinder (esp. with material scattered across so many books) but I still dig it.
    GenderNihilismGirdleVallmyrShapiroKeatsDarkMage

All of this, plus (in my opinion, anyway) designing a balanced custom archetype for 5e is way easier than designing a balanced kit for 2e or PrC for 3.5/PF

This is true.

I don't even remember how many prestige classes I've designed (more than 10 at least) but they're work.
    GenderNihilismGirdleCvijeta