Skip to content

Should 'SOD Characters' be a DLC for Baldur's Gate 2?

Comments

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    It should be free, but I'd pay for it anyway lmao
    Lore
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    Shouldn't be DLC. Just include them. I really enjoyed Corwin & Glint. Though if they were DLC, I'd buy those two
  • VirelaiVirelai Member Posts: 19
    Obviously I'm all for free stuff, but would for sure be willing to toss a few gold Beamdog's way if it meant more writing, voice acting, and content, as that is definitely not free for them create.

I absolutely adore the new NPCs. I've been using all four plus Rasaad on my first run through of SoD with my mage, and we've just been ruining the Crusade's day (In Chapter 10 now).

Corwin: no nonsense leader/killing machine who has no idea how adorable she is. If Corwin was in BG2 I think she'd have a permanent spot on any good/neutral run where CHARNAME was a spellcaster. I've always been crazy about the archer kit and am really glad Beamdog didn't go for the "Legolas" archer trope on this one.

Glint: ultimate utility gnome coupled with tasteful comedic relief. I thought the writing for Glint was particularly well done.

M'Khiin: is it just me or are shamans totally OP? Unlimited summons, superb healer, insect plague, killer new spells and throwing axes for fun makes for a lot of interesting uses. Been using the M'Khiin for a tankless run through SoD and it is going great. Also wonderful writing and voice acting.

Voghiln: probably the least fleshed out NPC, but still found him enjoyable none the less. I liked the idea of a drunken bard scoundrel with a heart of gold following CHARNAME around to add to his repertoire of tales. I think if more content is added, this character could really shine with his own quest. Should be a dwarf though.
    GenderNihilismGirdleillathidmf2112
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    I would happily pay for this, and I haven't even tried out M'Khiin yet. (She sounds marvelous, but there wasn't room in my party during my first run through SoD. Next time!)

I'd especially love to see Glint carried over - finally there would be a good-aligned Thief who levels as a Thief! I mean, Imoen is perfectly adequate so we don't really need one. But what if I wanted to drop half a dozen Spike Traps on Demogorgon's head without dragging neutral NPCs along or playing a thief myself?
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • dreambleddreambled Member Posts: 48
    I feel like it's not just the fact of wanting the characters in BG2, it's also a matter having to update a lot of dialogue now that SoD is out. As is, most people talk about your feats as the Hero of Baldur's Gate and defeating Sarevok as the last thing that you did before arriving at Amn, and that is clearly not the case anymore. One of the examples is Viconia and her love talk dialogue with you, how she mentions you managed to avert war by killing Sarevok and I'm thinking yeah, but a new one kind of happened after that sooooo??? And she also mentions how she dropped your good name where she could and again, I was like
    ehhhhhhhhh that's debatable now
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    That's another reason for going with M'Khiin: sure, you would need to add loads of extra dialogue for her, but you could take the opportunity to add dialogue for PC shamans at the same time.
    GenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisov
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    M'Khiin should be added with a shaman stronghold, not stronghold for shamans is putting me off playing one atm :(
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Zoimos said:

M'Khiin should be added with a shaman stronghold, not stronghold for shamans is putting me off playing one atm :(

Shamans could easily be added to the Druid stronghold. It would kind of make sense...
    GenderNihilismGirdleGozeta
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Reading between the lines, I wonder whether a BG2 DLC that combined SoD NPCs with a new Skie questline could potentially be on the way?
    GenderNihilismGirdleillathid

Zoimos said:

Shamans could easily be added to the Druid stronghold. It would kind of make sense...
    It really doen't, if M'khiin is any guide. She isn't remotely druidy.

Shamans need a proper stronghold quest, with a spirit lodge and animal spirit quest givers.
    GenderNihilismGirdlemf2112
    Fardragon said:

Shamans need a proper stronghold quest, with a spirit lodge and animal spirit quest givers.

Good luck with that...

• RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621

Zoimos said:

Only if the said shaman follows the same god as the druids.
    Rawgrim said:

Only if the said shaman follows the same god as the druids.

True.

Although, I'm actually talking about creating a mod for Shamans to have their own stronghold...
  • cndrowcndrow Member Posts: 8
    I would be more than happy to throw money at whomever for more of the new NPCs. Corwin and Glint in particular, but I'd also pay through the nose for Baeloth to be included through the entire series!

I just reached the end of SoD while romancing Glint and I am left both perplexed and intensely bewitched by the insane little man. Please, more Glint!
    AedanGenderNihilismGirdle[Deleted User]Buttercheese
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2016
    Caelar for TOB
    Corwin for SOD only
    Others for BG2.
    AedanGenderNihilismGirdle[Deleted User]
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Considering that SoD was only 20 USD, I can't imagine companion DLC costing more than 10.00. As fans, I think we should be willing to shell out the cost of a lunch to support development (remember that this is a small team and voice acting is a significant expense). A larger paid expansion that includes additional companions would also be welcome.

That said, I would rather not see the inclusion of any characters that require a major narrative stretch to get them into Amn (e.g. Corwin). BG2 already includes a lot of coincidences that are too cute by half – the only one I could easily imagine would be Glint: he doesn't have any commitments up north and his presence could easily be explained as seeking out one of his many scattered family members.
    GenderNihilismGirdle[Deleted User]
  • EscarcheEscarche Member Posts: 61
    @Purudaya There's also M'Khiin. We can easily smuggle her to Amn as a new circus' pet (again) :D
    [Deleted User]
    I would say $5, but we know there are people who believe they are entitled to free stuff and will balk at anything over $0.

I can think of plot reasons for Corwin traveling to Amn, but on the whole I can live happily without her.
    [Deleted User]illathid
  • sb81848889sb81848889 Member Posts: 51
    That would be fine, and I would also pay for it, however I would rather pay $40 - $50 for a finished expansion or new BG game then $10 or $20 for a buggy DLC piggybacked onto an update that was worse than the previous version.

We all want to pay money, just make the products worth the value.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    The BG2 team commented after the fact that the stronghold quests were too long given that most players will only ever see one of them. With that in mind, it's hard to imagine it would be a good use of Beamdog's time to produce a similarly sized stronghold quest for the shaman, especially given the decidedly mixed reaction the class has received. It might be better to have the "BG2 expansion" devs focus their attention on content that would be seen/played by everyone, such as a continuation of the Skie storyline, while adjusting the shaman class so it can do one of the existing stronghold quests (druid or ranger come to mind though they could also be lumped into the "generic" de'Arnise keep stronghold quest like the monk was).
  • dotsdots Member Posts: 37
    Should is strong word. I would like to see the new the characters in SoA and ToB, though not as mini-DLC. Maybe it's silly, but microtransactions really are not the kind of modern touch~ I want to see brought to Baldur's Gate. I would be much more willing to pay more for a small expansion/larger DLC that added the new characters along with new maps, quests, items, etc. Of course, my cheap self would much rather get everything for free. ;)

M'Khiin would be my first choice out of the new characters; she was the most interesting to me, and I agree that a shaman NPC is most needed in BG2. I'd like Corwin and Glint as well. I really enjoyed them, and frankly I would appreciate the additional same-sex romance options. Especially since Dorn and Hexxat aren't viable choices for good and neutral PCs imo. Caelar's story feels over to me, but I wouldn't say no to her. Don't care about Voghlin and Baeloth.
  • ObjulenObjulen Member Posts: 93
    edited April 2016
    I think it'd be reasonable for Beam Dog to ask for a small fee, like $5 or $10, for adding the characters BGII and TOB. They would have to develop and test two sets of quest archs for each character, after all.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • gimlet08gimlet08 Member Posts: 9
    I'd love to see lovable scoundrel Voghiln brought in to BG2EE with a bit more development, and also M'Khiin! And would be happy to pay for it - I mean what's $5?

Also Corwin could be brought to Amn as intel has placed both Charname and Irenicus there, and the Skie plot is still unresolved... She could be sent there to find the 'infamous but never again mentioned in BG2' dagger.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
    I think that "unresolved" plot thread you mention is a set-up for BG3.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    It should be an automatic part of a BG2EE patch/update - not paid for
    Dharius said:

It should be an automatic part of a BG2EE patch/update - not paid for

Just pointing out the original question didn't ask whether it should be a PAID DLC or not. DLCs can be free, and all the prior DLCs have been free for PC users. Because of how the tablet/phone market works, they couldn't make the DLCs free on these devices. However, the base cost of the game on tablet/phone was only $9.99. In total, it should only be $20 to get all the content for the games.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Yeah, that's why I put "other", because I wasn't sure where to put my response :dizzy:

Anyway, I'd rather see a BG3 or new game, than this...it's a nice idea if we had unlimited time though
This discussion has been closed.