Skip to content

Will there ever be a Baldur's gate 3?

2»

Comments

• BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Will there ever be a BG3? Well, I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'Baldurs Gate 3'.

I'm less interested in what it says on the box, than whats in it....

So as long as the game has 2D isometric graphics, uses unadulterated First Edition AD&D rules(*), and has a totally immersive plot, story and characters that make me feel just like I felt when I played BG1 and BG2, I don't mind what its called. I don't mind what world its based in or what campaign setting it uses. I don't care what the characters are called, or the name of the game. I will just be happy playing it!

* I realise commercial considerations makes this almost impossible, and so on this aspect alone I am prepared to compromise!
  • ZilchkZilchk Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2016
    Archaos said:

Please, NO Baldur's Gate III.
    Please, YES a Baldur's Gate-like game with 5E rules and a new engine.

Some kind of prequel to Baldur's Gate wouldn't be bad either.
    Perhaps meeting a younger Sarevok, Gorion, Irenicus or making it during the Time of Troubles or before it.
    But I doubt Wizards would like a prequel and not a 5E game in the modern Forgotten Realms setting.

Not every DnD game needs to be called "Baldur's Gate" for name-recognition and nostalgia-reasons only.
    The story of Charname is over. They either become gods or live a normal life with epic levels.

BGLover said:

Will there ever be a BG3? Well, I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'Baldurs Gate 3'.

I'm less interested in what it says on the box, than whats in it....

So as long as the game has 2D isometric graphics, uses unadulterated First Edition AD&D rules(*), and has a totally immersive plot, story and characters that make me feel just like I felt when I played BG1 and BG2, I don't mind what its called. I don't mind what world its based in or what campaign setting it uses. I don't care what the characters are called, or the name of the game. I will just be happy playing it!

* I realise commercial considerations makes this almost impossible, and so on this aspect alone I am prepared to compromise!

Problem is that 5e edition is too boring, underpowered and barebones. In 5e magic and monsters(even Terrasque is laughably weak) are weak and prestige and epic classes don't exist, you can't even achieve higher level than 20 in 5e as far as I know and there are hardly any interesting classes. AD&D is second edition not first but it's too archaic at this point to make another full game based on it. I think BG3 should use 3. 5 ruleset, classes and bestiary(actually it can even use converted monsters from 3, 3.5, 4 and 5th editions) wiith turn based combat a la Temple of Elemental Evil but with 5th edition cosmology and lore. 3.5e edition has the most interesting classes and bestiary including epic monsters by far.
    It posit it would have to be named Baldur's Gate 3 for marketing related reasons.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dradeel_rulesDradeel_rules Member Posts: 25
    Just give us an open end, open to explore(just think Fallout 2) in the same setting and we are gonna be happy.
    Infinity engine is good enough IMHO, and I'll take 2.5 rules over 3.5 every day of the week.

As far as BG3 is concerned: I'm OK with that too, but I can't even imagine level cap on that one(it would either be 60 or 41).
    Story-wise: it would be pretty easy to create more stories for the character(he was a God but then other gods rebelled and kicked him out etc.)
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    It's very possible to make a totally new story in BG slightly related or not related at all to the old games. As long as your storyline and gameplay are solid, I'm fairly positive the people here will like it.
    edited April 2016

Just give us an open end, open to explore(just think Fallout 2) in the same setting and we are gonna be happy.
    Infinity engine is good enough IMHO, and I'll take 2.5 rules over 3.5 every day of the week.

As far as BG3 is concerned: I'm OK with that too, but I can't even imagine level cap on that one(it would either be 60 or 41).
    Story-wise: it would be pretty easy to create more stories for the character(he was a God but then other gods rebelled and kicked him out etc.)

Infinity Engine and AD&D(no such thing as 2.5 exist) are too archaic to make new games based on them though expansions for existing games are okay for me. They shouldn't limit a new game for nostalgia reasons for purists.

I liked 3.5. That was NwN right? *-) It seemed to have lots of flexibility in class selection.

Yeah it used 3.5.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2016
    NWN2 used 3.5. NWN used 3
  • GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    I hope so. I'd end up buying 10 BG3 on steam and give them away randomly to fans of Baldur's Gate.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Zilchk - BG2's system is often called "2.5 ed" because of the many 3rd Edition things it incorporated. The EE version is even more 2.5 than the old BG2 one, at that.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2016
    Cant say I've never heard of BG being described as 2.5 edition (not to say it's an inaccurate depiction, I just think most describe BG as being modified 2e and not 2.5 specifically).

Post edited by elminster on
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2016
    I vote for Faerun based, colorful 3D graphic (like that was in Divinity Original Sin, this game is beautiful) with 3.5 DND or even Pathfinder rules (which will be better) with new available races (tiefling, aasimar, dragonborn, minotaur, lionfolk, foxfolk, half-vampire) and classes, epic music, great adventure and interesting companions
  • GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2016
    @Archaos Yes to- Baldur's Gate 3 with 5e edition rules.
  • Diomedes33Diomedes33 Member Posts: 144
    Short answer: No.
    Long Answer: Neverwinter Nights was Biowares attempt to restart the franchise. So, no.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Gozeta said:

I hope so. I'd end up buying 10 BG3 on steam and give them away randomly to fans of Baldur's Gate.

Do you accept reservations? Oh snap, you did say "randomly." :/