Skip to content

How to play an evil party?

revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
So, this may seem like a bit of a n00bish question, but I've never played an evil party before, and reading through this forum over the last few days has my curious. When BG:EE comes out, i want to try a game with an evil party, but how do you play an evil party without your reputation plummeting to 1 early and getting assaulted by the Flaming Fist every time you move, or getting too high of a reputation that you entire party just ups and leaves?

tl;dr: how do you maintain a low but not too low reputation to effectively run an evil party?

Comments

• zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    Make sure you rob enough people/houses that you can donate to the temples to raise your rep whenever it gets too low.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    Rabain said:

Donating to a temple seems too good for an evil party, there really should be a "bribe the government officials" option for evil parties so rep gets raised in an evil way.

It's actually very realistic. It's how many Drug Lords and politicians operate; rob and steal, give a bit back with ostentatious charity, and pretend you aren't evil!

• eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    Save the occasional child? Or give your hard earned money to a temple, I guess.
  • RabainRabain Member Posts: 39

It's actually very realistic. It's how many Drug Lords and politicians operate; rob and steal, give a bit back with ostentatious charity, and pretend you aren't evil!

Though less realistic in a world of clerical magic, gods, paladins with Detect Evil etc...

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Full Frontal Nerdity has a good example of Lawful Evil: http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn/index.php?date=2004-03-24 The previous two comics setup the joke.
    Communard said:

Best way I've found is to act Neutral Evil. That means killing when the benefit is greater than the potential risk (i.e. not often), completing quests for profit and betraying the quest giver if you don't like the reward and seizing every opportunity to increase your power/wealth. Also, do favors for people in positions of power so that you will have more leeway in your activities and to increase your standing in the event of a power struggle. If you follow those guidelines you shouldn't have a problem with reputation. Oh, and steal everything that isn't nailed down, but whatever you do don't get caught.

This. This is how you do it. If you want to be the stereotypical "Chaotic Evil" that slaughters their way through everything... it just isn't going to work. That brand of evil is like, someone opening fire with a rifle in a shopping mall. Yeah the body count will be high but they're gonna die once the authorities arrive on scene, assuming some bystander isn't equipped to handle it.

Oh! And if you want to be a Villain with Good Publicity you'll need a high charisma to keep all the evil teammates in line.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    @UnseeyingEye
    Here's your son, madam. No strings attached.
    Though I would like your soul.
    Let your conscience be your guide, just like all good people.

Am I doing it right? :P
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    How to be evil by lirlacor:

Sword how can I make money fast?

"Find someone rich and kill them. Then find someone richer and kill them too. Hack and Slash your way to fortune woohoo"
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    Evil characters are not always evil for the sake of it. They aren't always trying to be as evil as possible every second of the day. Most evil people are motivated by some kind of reward and will do anything to get it. Everyone once in a while, do a good quest outcome if you know the reward will be better. This will keep your reputation at least average, and net you more treasure. A good example is the Brage quest: return him for more gold (and more XP too, I think) and some reputation. It's plausible and it's rewarding for your character.

This small boost in reputation will allow you to do something hideous and unforgivable later, like kill Drizzt, pick Aldeth's pocket or spoon with Viconia.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    edited September 2012
    The Evil BG1 party is (imo) the most powerful party in the game! Some simple tactics will take you far.

1) Donate to Temples to keep Rep Up -- Crucial
    2) Give Your Main a Decent Charisma Score - I play a Fighter with an 18.
    3) Give the Gauntlets of Dexterity to Kagain - Meat Shield
    4) If you Choose to Keep Viconia, Give her the Gauntlets of Ogre Power - Supplemental Fighter
    5) If you don't Choose to Keep Monty, Dual Shar-Teel to a Thief at Level 7. (7/8 Fighter/Thief).
    6) If you don't Choose to Take Viconia, Dual Xzar to a Cleric at Level 6 (6/8 Necromancer/Cleric).

Here's what I like to do (Pre-EE)....

Play a Fighter as Your Main Character -- 18/00 Strength (Natural), 18 Con, 18 Dex, 18 Charisma
    Edwin - Primary Mage -- 18 Intelligence
    Xzar - Secondary Mage, Dual to a Cleric -- 18 Intelligence (Int Tome), 16 Dex, 19 Wisdom (Wis Tome x3)
    Montaron - Fighter/Thief -- 18 Dexterity (Kiel's Buckler), 18/00 Strength (Gauntlets), 16 Con (Con Tome)
    Shar-Teel - Fighter -- 18/58 Strength, 18 Dexterity (Dex Tome)
    Kagain - 16 Strength, 18 Dexterity (Gaunts of Dex), 20 Contstitution

CRUSH PPL

Cheers

Edit -- With the BG:EE addition of Dorn, I'll likely drop Monty for him and Dual-Class Shar-Teel at level 7 to a thief as discussed above.

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    The key to an evil playthrough is twofold:

1. Be aware that you will receive less XP and less gold, but you'll be compensated by having the most powerful single-class NPCs in your party. Shop carefully.

2. Many sidequests result in a reputation increase regardless of your RP/alignment. You should still do them, because you get rewards anyway, but that should help you balance out your evil acts until you're in the comfortable 7-10 reputation range. :)
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    There are places to grind out XP if necessary. There's that cave where the flesh golems spawn that I used. So you can balance that out if necessary.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    revaar said:

tl;dr: how do you maintain a low but not too low reputation to effectively run an evil party?

My tactic has always been to kill a random, isolated innocent now and then when my rep threatens to get too high. You'll find that you can get some nice items from certain characters that you wouldn't be able to get from pickpocketing them, i.e. Bjornin at the Jovial Juggler (but not before you've completed his quest!). Killing Drizzt is especially a great way to get your rep back down, and some great items as well.

As others have said, donate to temples to get your rep back up, when needed. Also, there are plenty of quests (too many, perhaps) that will raise your rep once completed.

The Evil BG1 party is (imo) the most powerful party in the game! Some simple tactics will take you far.

1) Donate to Temples to keep Rep Up -- Crucial
    2) Give Your Main a Decent Charisma Score - I play a Fighter with an 18.
    3) Give the Gauntlets of Dexterity to Kagain - Meat Shield
    4) If you Choose to Keep Viconia, Give her the Gauntlets of Ogre Power - Supplemental Fighter
    5) If you don't Choose to Keep Monty, Dual Shar-Teel to a Thief at Level 7. (7/8 Fighter/Thief).
    6) If you don't Choose to Take Viconia, Dual Xzar to a Cleric at Level 6 (6/8 Necromancer/Cleric).

Some very good advice here, except I usually don't like waiting that long to dual characters (takes to long to get their original traits back). For example, I usually dual Shar-Teel anytime from level 3 onward, after I've given her an extra prof point in long sword - imagine a backstab from that!

PS, is Xzar able to dual from the start, or does he need a tome to get an extra wisdom point?
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    One of the BG tweaks created a bard or poet in most inns/taverns and you could pay him like you would a temple and have him spread the word that 'CHARNAME is not someone to be crossed' or something like that and your rep would drop. I liked it because it let you stay evil without having to randomly slaughter people. Anyone know if that will be integrated into EE? If not, just wait until the tweaks pack is compatible.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Try playing a Lawful Evil party. You can still remain relatively socially respectable and adhere to a personal code while you impose your will upon the Sword Coast. If you agree to help Silke, then you make good on your word an slaughter Feldeposts "thugs" when they come to meet with her about payment. If you accept Edwin's quest to kill Dynaheir, then you follow through without concern for the morality of the situation. This goes for the same when you accept good quests, such as getting Joya's flamedance ring back from the Hobgoblins at the Friendly Arm Inn. This can have both positive and negative results on your reputation, but I've found they tend to even out in the end.

I always try to keep my reputation in the 6-9 range. That way, I'll get the evil innate abilities from the dream sequences, but I won't have to deal with being hunted by the Flaming Fist everywhere I go.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    @HaHaCharade This guy knows his stuff. Evil parties are the most powerful in BG1 (definitely not in BG2) and he knows just how to do it. My tactics are pretty much identical, too

EDIT: I'm curious, what would you do if for some inane reason you wanted to include Eldoth? I'm thinking of doing an Evil run wherein I include him because I like to mix things up a bit. Don't get me wrong, your tactics are awesome but I know firsthand they are very, very powerful.

So I kind of want to try to include Eldoth, give him the Gauntlets of Dexterity so that he can pwn with the Longbow of Marksmanship with his Poison Arrows. Problem is, then Kagain can't have them. And a lot of other dilemnas. So what would you suggest? (Keeping in mind I'm going to play a Thief. Need it for BG2.)
    Post edited by Quartz on
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Quartz said:

@HaHaCharade This guy knows his stuff. Evil parties are the most powerful in BG1 (definitely not in BG2) and he knows just how to do it. My tactics are pretty much identical, too

EDIT: I'm curious, what would you do if for some inane reason you wanted to include Eldoth? I'm thinking of doing an Evil run wherein I include him because I like to mix things up a bit. Don't get me wrong, your tactics are awesome but I know firsthand they are very, very powerful.

So I kind of want to try to include Eldoth, give him the Gauntlets of Dexterity so that he can pwn with the Longbow of Marksmanship with his Poison Arrows. Problem is, then Kagain can't have them. And a lot of other dilemnas. So what would you suggest? (Keeping in mind I'm going to play a Thief. Need it for BG2.)

Will you need Kagain if you take Dorn in BGEE? Maybe not...

We can't know if they're interchangeable or not until we know Dorn's stats. I'm willing to bet he'll have a bad Dexterity, so they wouldn't be, but I don't actually know that, of course.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Quartz said:

@Quartz In a strictly evil setup, you probably won't have anyone else using Long Bows. Give Eldoth the Bracers of Archery and the Long Bow of Marksmanship for a total +5 thac0 bonus by mid game.

The bracers alone confer +2 ranged thac0 bonus, which is exactly the same as you'd get from raising his DEX to 18 with the Gauntlets.
    edited November 2012

Quartz said:

Hmmm... Well. First thing's first. If you're playing a pure thief, I recommend you instead put a Fighter on it somehow (whether through dual or multi-class)... I mean, you're going to have a bard that has thief skills and possibly Monty (unless he's dropped) that's part thief. You'll be thief-overkilled lol. And the fighter-types in your party will suffer. Besides, a backstab is better with Percentile Strength and Higher Weapon pips.

If you're putting in Eldoth, you'll have to eventually join with Skie and kill her off to keep him in the party. Then you'll need to decide who you're dropping. You have a few options. Kagain is a possibility. He's a rock-star but with low dex, he'll suck. Alternatively, Dorn might also have low dex (yikes). But unlike Dorn, Kagain can get higher mastery of weps (axe). So it kind of comes down to personal preference. You also have two wizards so you might just drop the Xzar/Monty combo entirely and add back in Viconia who has high-dex and can tank. You'll lose some wizard fire-power, but you will have some bard spells to make up for it, and you'll still have Edwin. Here's how it would look possibly:

MAIN (Fighter/Thief) - Dual or Multi-Class - Tank/Archer
    Shar-Teel (Fighter) - Tank
    Dorn or Kagain [You Choose] (Fighter or Blackguard) - Fighter Type
    Viconia (Cleric) - Can Tank, High Dex, Low AC
    Eldoth (Bard) - Archer/Some Spell Firepower
    Edwin (Conjurer) - Spell Firepower

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    The only way to lose enough reputation to hit 2 or 1 and have problems with the flaming fists is by random killings or steals.

Roleplay you evil character with the evil paths on the quests, that's what i do, the lost of reputation points are a reward for me, so any rep loss by random kill is just a cheese tactic, the same as CLUAConsole more gold to donate to temples would be to raise reputation.

If you lose rep points only in quests, you gonna see that this way it's much more enjoinable to play evil.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    Hmmm, I really want to try out an evil party, but I plan on doing something very different in BGEE and playing a pure druid myself.

So I'm thinking that for my party:

CHARNAME - Druid
    Shar Teel - tank
    Kagain or Dorn - other tank
    Edwin - uber mage
    Monty - Thief / Fighter
    Xzar - 6 necromancer / 8 cleric.

I won't need viccy if I'm a druid. Or maybe Safana and all 3 of the melee NPCs instead of monty + xzar.

• HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Rabain said:

Donating to a temple seems too good for an evil party, there really should be a "bribe the government officials" option for evil parties so rep gets raised in an evil way.

Problem would occur when there's a mixed party, the good people won't join.

revaar said:

PS, is Xzar able to dual from the start, or does he need a tome to get an extra wisdom point?

Sorry for the late reply - No Xzar cannot dual from the start, you have to get the Wisdom tome from Durlags on a Stealth Run. You have to wait when Dual-Classing to at least like level 6 or he ends up sucking :P
    edited November 2012
    Rabain said:

I think evil parties would totally donate to a temple. It's manipulating the populace into thinking you're good people. Its all about reputation.
    edited November 2012
    You can also be evil and religious and willing to donate to the god of Cyric / Umberlee / Shar etc. Is it possible to donate to an evil god's temple in BG?
    Mungri said:

Hmmm, I really want to try out an evil party, but I plan on doing something very different in BGEE and playing a pure druid myself.

So I'm thinking that for my party:

CHARNAME - Druid
    Shar Teel - tank
    Kagain or Dorn - other tank
    Edwin - uber mage
    Monty - Thief / Fighter
    Xzar - 6 necromancer / 8 cleric.

I won't need viccy if I'm a druid. Or maybe Safana and all 3 of the melee NPCs instead of monty + xzar.

That sounds like an awesome party, go with it. Except my vote would be Kagain and Dorn and give Shar-Teel the boot, but if you can stand her banter then congrats.
    edited November 2012
    Ok I think I'll try kagain and dorn and keep monty, xzar and Edwin.

3 spellcasters, and 3 melees with a multi rogue sounds fine.

I'm purposefully going to play a gimp shapeshifter with 17 str, 15 dex, 15 con, 10 int, 15 wis, 15 Cha that can much later in BG2 dual to a fighter.