Skip to content

Obtaining random immunities

Hello all. I just started a new game with a mage that I've imported from Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition. I have the steam edition of both games and I've not modded either of them. Every time I click my main character or highlight multiple party members that have my main character in it, the chat bar says that I receive an immunity to a spell school. Consecutively with each click it goes enchantment, evocation and then divination. However, looking at the character sheet shows no actual immunities or status effects at all. Also, I'm uncertain if the voice option I chose for him in the first Baldur's Gate is affecting what his replies are when I make him perform an action or not but I am getting strange replies that weren't part of the voice over in the original Baldur's Gate. Any idea's why this is happening and how I might resolve it? Is it something that may quit once I venture past the initial area? I've added 2 screenshots for reference

Comments

• JagenJagen Member Posts: 8
    Yea I'm not getting immunites but its still annoying as crap to see my chat box get filled with it everytime I click my character lol. Thanks for the soundset fix. Still hoping to figure out why the immunity thing pops up like that though.
  • JagenJagen Member Posts: 8
    Well I posted that last one too hastily. I went back into the game and changed the soundset and it fixed the problem with it telling me I have immunities. So thanks for the total fix!
    jackjackJuliusBorisov
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Jagen said:

Still hoping to figure out why the immunity thing pops up like that though.

To echo @Artemius_I:
    When you import a BG1 character into BG2 their soundset gets messed up and replaced with random lines.
    It's because the BG1 soundsets aren't fully compatible with BG2. The way they implemented soundsets back in the original BG1/2 days was weird as hell.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Let's say bg1 sound set has a dialogu line 'Yes?' referring to line number 1345. (total random number) Each time character is selected the game looks up to line number 1345 and sees 'Yes?' and displays it.

When bg2 looks for that line, line number 1345 is 'immunity:whatever' instead of 'yes?' selection, so the game displays 'immunity:whatever'. This is only a cosmetic bug and has no other effect. When you actually use the spell immunity (lvl 5 mage) spell, the game also looks for that line and correctly displays immunity:whatever. Spell also adds real immunity effects to the character, as well as displaying the message.
    JuliusBorisovBelleSorciereFinnTheHumanDevardKrown
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Ahh, so does this explain where in my last playthrough my character would get "Ice Shard" message, or say things like the ever creepy, "Where do you live, child"
    moody_mage
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

Ahh, so does this explain where in my last playthrough my character would get "Ice Shard" message, or say things like the ever creepy, "Where do you live, child"

More than likely.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

Correct. The game does not discriminate or apply logic when looking for lines. If your dialog lines are messed up, you may even have a full paragraph of spell description when you choose Viconia and she is supposed to say 'I am yours to command'

Using/deleting mods haphazardly or different save games/sound sets from different games, even different versions of games will cause this unless every line in the dialog.tlk is identical.
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2016
    Just through Irenicus' dungeon and about half a dozen different mephits, as well as the ogre-mage taunted me with:
    "Your countenance has the air of dark thoughts and concern, my love. Might I ask what has brought this mood about you."
    FinnTheHumanGozetasemiticgoddess
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    You guys are lucky. When my lines are bugged they seem to be systematically replaced with the base biography wall of text, which is preeetty annoying :)
    SirBatince
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Arunsun said:

You guys are lucky. When my lines are bugged they seem to be systematically replaced with the base biography wall of text, which is preeetty annoying :)

Did changing the sound set fix the problem?

I got the biography for all my AI script descriptions. That bug happened to me in BG, not BGII, so the import explanation doesn't apply. But next time it happens (it happened 2 times so far) I'll try switching the soundset just in case.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Updating to 2.1 turned all of my SCS strings into invalid references. I haven't tried to reinstall it for fear that I'd mess up the game. Besides, it adds some mystery when I don't know the enemy's pre-buffs.
    lunar
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited May 2016
    Arunsun said:

hear ya.

1.3 BG2 had a few of these instances aswell. 100% vanilla.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/264960974892456119/9A4886068BF81158DF7956230739FC3D8C84E6E5/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/264960974892455865/B9C6C92F9DFBD18AE4B4A0400F1206D1ECF3E6CF/
    Sids1188
  • GriboeGriboe Member Posts: 47
    I just had the same problem importing Final Save in BG2EE. AT first I had trouble finding "customize option and change to a BG2 soundset." but it literally couldn't be easier. Open your Charname with 'R', Customize, choose a new voice from "Male3" or "Female1" etc. Done!