Skip to content

What to do after Irenicus' Dungeon

Played the entire saga for about 3-4 times since day 1 of this series. Just escaped Chateau Irenicus, completely lost what to do next, as usual.
Since this is my first playthrough of enhanced edition of SoA and ToB, I'm thinking of picking up Rasaad Dorn Neera right from the start.
Also thinking of visiting the top floor (the first one) of Watcher's Keep to get Usuno's and Crimson Dart along with other treasures there for easy picking.

So there are some vague plans for my axe and halberd wielding half-orc barbarian, but no clear set path at the moment.

Whaddya reckon I should be doing next?

Comments

• HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2016
    There's alot to do after you're free from Jon Irenicus' Dungeon. The first thing you should be doing is head to Slums and immediately you will meet Gaelan Bayle. He will offer you help to go after Irenicus/Imoen. After Gaelan has spoken and told you about his offer. You should meet a boy who tells about a quest that should fit your class. This quest particular will be "Stronghold" quest. Depending on your class, the boy will guide you towards your Stronghold-quest. If you're Fighter he will most likely guide you to Copper Coronet where you will meet Nalia who offers a quest for Fighter Stronghold. Or if you're thief. The boy will guide you to docks for Thief Stronghold etc.

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    The copper coronet is probably the best place to find quests at the start. You'll also get another one the first time you travel outside of the city.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I'd say go along and do the EE companions personal quests. They are all quite easy and can prolly be done at a fairly low level, though I'm not a huge fan of Dorn's myself. Rashad's quest offers the opportunity to test your mettle against a pretty dangerous group, but also with the promise of really, really good loot.

Note this though, Rasaad is still kinda weak until you level him up some, so having him chucking darts from the backrow might be the best option until he levels a bit and grows stronger. This means you prolly want to get some more muscle to supplement your team of EE's, but due to Dorn's questline you might want to keep them neutral or evil or risk having to spend a fortune at temples, hehe.. :)

The first step inside the city is usually coppper coronet, and for a reason. The slaves quest is super-easy and nets you a couple of decent items. The sewers to the ship nets you a very easy two handed sword for Dorn that will last him a loooong time.
    Personally I like to visit the graveyard next and clean it out, but not going all the way to the tombs unless I have korgans/edwins quest for ut. Decent items (alot of like +1 swords to sell etc), easy and fast exp (paladin foster-father, finding the teddy bear etc etc).
    You could start of the thieves guild quests if you want to next. Good exp and some decent gear to get by ie unlocking all doors in the guildhall and there's a shortsword and some other goodies to be taken as well.
    The sewers can be done at a decently low level as well, with a bit of cheese it can be done directly after irenicus dungeon (like throwing AoE spells outside a certain party's view radius). You'll get a good flail here and some other goodies.
    There's the inn at waukeens promenade with a team of adventurers like you. You prolly know the one I mean. It's funniest if you have Korgan with you when you meet them. You can cheese that fight as well but it's quite easy anyways. Just avoid the backstabbing thief and take down the mage and his familiar asap.
    There's another team of adventurers you can bully and fight in the bridges district. Don't walk into that fight unbuffed though.
    Going for the haer'dalis quest line nets you many really good items and the planar prison is quite easy if you take it slow and prepare for each fight.

If you just want to level up and gain some momentum with you character, then the first step outside athkatla is quite often De'Arnise keep. It's easy, you don't need any preparation or equipment really and it will net you decent amount of exp and good items, like a certain axe for your CHARNAME.

I like to go to trademeet early since it's quite easy and the merchant that appears afterwards sells amazing items. You can clean out most of trademeet and it's supporting side-quests fairly early if you have a few heavy-hitters frontliners.

After de'arnise and trademeet I sometimes go to windspear and clean all but the last encounter out, or I go to umar hills and do that. Depends on if I plan to have Mazzy as a long time NPC in my team or not. If not, I usually wait with Umar to be one of the last sites to visit.

After this, you will have plenty of gold to clean out all merchants of any goodies you want, all spells you need and you can continue to clean out personal side quests, finish of the main story or do the last site specific quests such as bridge district murders or whatever.
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    edited April 2016
    Slay yourself some shadow dragon. Should be relatively easy around the startish if you bring breach and other spells Neera might have. I usually get that area done, if you need more then do the keep for nalia. The keeps kinda easier imo but not as exciting for me. I usually go do umber hills asap.
    Planar sphere if your really feeling masochistic :D
    Dunno but place scared me lol. Can also do this and trademeet right after if you get or talk to valigar and mazzy during your stay at umber and if you go to the shadow temple.
    Also pick up the daystar before if you go through gate area even if you don't kill lich you can still run in pick it and scoop that nummy shadow slayer up.
    Can start the Firkraag stuff to get the dragon gear and try and kill him even. Or watchers keep but that's probably too high right at the start ish. Try and force some backstory quest stuff for the new npcs by sleeping and doing their quests ( might get neeras area first too ). I haven't done any of those yet myself though lol. Hexxat stuff too, or kill spider mutant chick in graveyard catacombs.
  • cesil123cesil123 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2016
    Get 20000 gold asap for the amulet of power (immue level drain), ring of protection+2 and mace of Disruption +1 then upgrade it to +2.

You can do all the chapt2 quests in chapt3 except saving Viconia in the Goverment district.
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    I usually have this list...
    1) Get my group together
    2) Copper Coronet (Fairly easy stuff to kill)
    3) First level of Watcher's Keep (Good free loot)
    4) Nalia's Quest (Fairly easy stuff to kill)
    5) I have usually saved up enough for the Shield of Balduran and go hunting free xp with the Cult of the Unseeing Eye.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    1. go do the circus. getting aerie is optional.
    1.5. if you have unfinished business do the lamp quest
    2. go into the copper cornent and stop some slavers
    3. do nalia's quest
    4. do the shadow thieves quest which leads to edwin
    5. help xzar
    6. you decide the rest
  • Diomedes33Diomedes33 Member Posts: 144
    This is usually what I do. I rank them in order of what is easiest for me to do.

1. Go to the Circus in Waukeens.
    2. Go to slums talk to Gaelen then go to copper coronet and do the Slave Quest that starts with Lethinen. Everyone gets quest XP at the end.
    3. Go into the secret room in the Copper Coronet that leads to the sewers. Do the easy riddle down there and get Lilacore a +3 twohander
    4. Go to the Bridge District and solve the murder case there. Its easy and the fight isnt all that hard. Bring a thief to detect traps! Everyone gets quest XP at the end.
    5. Go to the Docks and talk to the leader of the thieves guild. You can do a relatively easy quest line within the docks area for lots of XP at the end.
    6. Go to the Graveyard. There are 3 quests here to do (Little ghost boy, Guy thats buried alive, and the orphan girl) all of them easy and are little to no fighting. Clear out the tombs for some cash and magic items to sell.

By this time you should have enough gold to buy everyone at least +2 weapons which you will need to hit vampires.

All quests after this have the same relative difficulty and can be managed. I would recommend doing your class stronghold though ASAP. Its lots of EXP plus Gold.
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    Depends on what you want to do... and your group wants...

-Graverobbing go get edwin from the beginner shadow thief quests and Korgan from copper coronet
    -Mr holy pure go get Anomen from coronet and Keldorn from temple district for cult of eyeless.
    -Be a douchette grab nalia and go take over D'arnise.
    -Grab valygar and get yourself a tardis.
    -Get yourself a wingless cheerleader by doing the circus and aquire airie
    -go to another dimension with Haer'dalis (needs temple district so expect a pull from Keldorn's and anomen)
    -go help a midget fight a dragon in Umar hills
    -go save a tree hugger despite having a higher int than minsc being stupider save trademeet and play politics.
    -bet on the dog fights at the copper coronet
    -save viconia from being burned at the stake and get laid.
    -go help Jan sell some more turnips
    -Get xzar killed (I actually liked xzar and Monty in bg1, whatever happened to xan? He always had that awesome sword and was a freaking mage!)
    -go nuke an ancient red dragon by the name of firkraag
    -get a half-sentient 2hd sword that props irony if you give it to minsc

The list goes on...(and yeah I'm actually working through all of it hahahahaha, my charname should be Chao neutral not neutral evil)
    Haha Valygar and TARDIS. I like that @Aewyrven
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    marzbarz said:

Haha Valygar and TARDIS. I like that @Aewyrven

Well it -IS- bigger on the inside. .. :P
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Get some snacks! Who knows if Irenicus was feeding you!
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited May 2016
    first thing I always do in every new run is to go beat up mencar and his merry band of twits. Reload if the thief gets away.

And don't forget to kill the new bouncer guy guarding the red wizard compound for that sweet ass helmet.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Unless I'm playing something like a lawful good paladin, I like to get about 5-6 potions of master thievery, and have my thief steal all the scrolls I'll ever need in a huge crime spree. I'll also snag some basic equipment for everyone, too, like full plate armor and +1 weapons. Works great if you're dualling into a mage too, for all the xp from reading the scrolls.
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    I usually start with the circus and the slaver compound. At that point I usually have some fire damage so either go to Trademeet or the Keep (or whatever my stronghold quest is). From there: the world!
  • ahhyepahhyep Member Posts: 114
    circus quest
    pickpocket ribald
    mencar pebblecrusher
    graveyard crypt king
    steal daystar then kill lich
    slums quest grabs + slavers
    get belm +2 from gates district map addition
    harpers quest usually pops up by now
    kill kangaxx with daystar and scroll
    spend gold on shadow thieves allegiance for ring + neck
    buy robe of vecna
    bridge murders
    sewers melkarth and then planar jail for boots of speed

pretty much whatever I want, can do that in like 2 hours flat

• doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Doing all quests possible in chapter 2 whether I am getting Immy or not. Nothing will be left untouched. I gather gold and equipment (for Immy too if she is joining).

Always start with the circus and then of to the copper coronet. Then the time table is depending on who is in my group. Need to finish their quests before they leave meaning other quests will have to wait. Normally d'arnice quests is the last before chapter 3 out of pure spite against Nalia.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    doggy said:

Normally d'arnice quests is the last before chapter 3 out of pure spite against Nalia.

But but but...she's so cute...

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    As a completionist who like as much xp as possible (with a full party) I usually start by recruiting the NPCs that I do *not* want to stick around, and clearing all of their personal quests first - so if I am playing good, I will start with Korgan and Clara (the latter brings a particularly useful item for inventory management).

I also try to rush as much of Jaheira's quest line as possible, as it takes forever, and I certainly want to go as far as gaining a special ring for my mages...

If I am playing with ranged weapons, I will also make a point of clearing the top of Watchers' Keep early, for the infinite ammo items while their +1 bonus is still relevant.

Leaving the major subtests like Firkraag and the shadow dragon till later often means more xp, as the encounters in those dungeons scale quite nicely...
    I went and grabbed valligar, did the slavers in slums, went to planar sphere, saved hear dalis,finished the unseeing eye cult, and now gotta drop off the gem to the troupe and go into that mess. I wants that +3 dagger. Also got aerie right out of the dungeon and got a few items from the graveyard/started hexat stuff but dropped her shortly after for Jan. Jans bonuses are a lot better with items. So I have me, a ranger/cleric I made at same time, keldorn who replaced minsc, jan who replaced hexat/yoshimo, aerie, and valygar pulling amazing backstabs on mages while I pew pew them.

Running a fig to mage human that has 4 pips in daggers/lbow and he absolutely destroys anything. Pulling 29hits with daggers/in hittable with stoneskin, or destroying a pack of goblins/mages before the group can get to them with ripper and +2 arrows,and casting breach/magic missiles or any other cc too is helpful.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Go get Viconia!
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    Fight Mencar, Draug Fea and invade Sion's mansion. Make sure to bring unenchanted weapons and, if you have a mage, buy a scroll of greater malison from galoomp and web those adventuring groups to death. Use aerie to web them and carpet bomb with holy smite.

Take the best loot, sell the rest, and you'll have 15 grand.

Go to spellhold.