Skip to content

What's your opinion on social justice warfare in games?

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited May 2016
    Ayiekie said:

Fardragon said:

Which, as has been pointed out a great many times, by many posters, for many reasons, is a completely invalid argument.

A refusal to accept them is blind prejudice, pure and simple.

No, I cannot agree with that.

You cannot say that what someone says "feels right" or doesn't feel right in a fantasy setting is a valid or invalid argument. It is an opinion, a purely subjective opinion.
    Rubbish!

If it's your fantasy setting, then it's up to you to decide what feels right, but if you are playing in, or reading about, someone elses fantasy setting, then they get to decide what feels right. If I'm playing a game set in Middle Earth, I would expect characters to be surprised by a female warrior. If my adventure was set in Hogwarts, I would expect to encounter preduce for having "mud-blood", and if I was playing in the Forgotten Realms, I would expect to be hated for being drow.
    Just like my friend who can't accept guns and cannons in his D&D-esque fantasy (despite the fact they did exist in the real time periods that fantasy is very loosely based upon) does not have some sort of radical anti-cannon agenda, you cannot simply presume that a personal sense of verisimilitude comes from any source other than what subjectively feels right.
    Which is fine, because it is HIS setting. If he wants gunpowder to not work it's up to him.
    We've had a lot of people here who have made their transphobic opinions plain. But @Yulaw9460 isn't one of them. Attacking him with the assumption he has them isn't being excellent to him, and it also isn't fair. His posting history in the thread shows he has no real beef with Mizhena, doesn't have an issue with tg characters in other game settings, and even noted that he appreciated the absurdity of feeling she wasn't "realistic" in a setting that includes dragons and such.
    He clearly comes from a transphobic culture to find anything unusual about what Mizhena says. I didn't notice anything remotely noteworthy about it. That's not me showing off how liberal I am, it's just that I was raised in a different culture, with a different set of predudices.

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Fardragon said:

I was raised in a different culture, with a different set of predudices.

So what makes one set of prejudices more acceptable than another?
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    Dazzu said:

Fardragon said:

I would assume, how much harm they cause. That said, I don't think Fardragon was saying that their culture's prejudices were any better. Just different.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Nothing. One apparatus can't be judged from the perspective of the other one - I mean, it can, be it is pointless - because of obvious reasons. You could come up with some kind of meta-apparatus, but it solves nothing, as it still different set of assertions.
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    Beamdog forums post SoD: Where a 2D pixelated depiction of a transgender split a community in half and generates countless debates about gender identity with 50 shades of hate, misogyny and misandry, where tolerant liberals are more intolerant than reactionaries, and where dealing with prejudice means terminate with extreme prejudice. Dee words: "Be excellent to each other" are lost in here like tears in rain.

If anything in a computer game motivates you to devolve to personal attacks and flame each other, you owe it to yourselves to take a step back and reassess your personal situation, because somewhere some perspective has been lost.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    @Foggy - are you referring to someone in particular? Also - no wonder reactionists are tolerant: after all, God is on their side, right? With that kind of "ally" (as Kaiser was kind enough to call him) there is no need to be angry. ;)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I finally got around to voting and chose "I don't really care", the wisest option available. I reserve the emotional energy required to care about things for topics which are actually important and social justice in video games isn't important.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Too right.
    Dazzu said:

Fardragon said:

Nothing.

One should always be examining oneself.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Yulaw9460 said:

Dee said:

Insert obligatory "Why's it gotta be white" comment here. ;)

'Cause white is technically a mix of all wavelengths of color. Or so my physics teacher told me.

So by picking white I've actually included ALL colors. Ain't THAT some subtle shit? :p
    Ah, but that is only within the context of light.

Within the context of color palettes, as you are using when you paint, it is actually black that is a combination of all colors, and white is the absence of color.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Actually, that truly is deeper than just a blank rectangle. It causes the viewer to see only what they want to see--mentally interactive art, because the artist has already brought their half of the completed work so now you, the viewer, must bring the other half.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Yulaw9460 I think your post was more insightful than you intended it to be. :D
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    edited May 2016
    [Insert long and completely unnecessary rant here. I really don't care and that's all there is to say.]
    Post edited by Foggy on
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    Yulaw9460 said:

Yulaw9460 said:

Dee said:

Insert obligatory "Why's it gotta be white" comment here. ;)

'Cause white is technically a mix of all wavelengths of color. Or so my physics teacher told me.

So by picking white I've actually included ALL colors. Ain't THAT some subtle shit? :p
    Ah, but that is only within the context of light.

Within the context of color palettes, as you are using when you paint, it is actually black that is a combination of all colors, and white is the absence of color.
    True enough, when speaking about paint with pigments in it. But since the colors on my monitor are not a product of pigments, but rather wavelengths from a lightsource, well... :)
    Hmm, so if I view it on my monitor it's an expression of inclusiveness of all. If I print it out, it becomes a representation of abject racism and bigotry. That's deep. I'd tell you to put it in a museum, but they would probably want to use a printed copy.
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114

Even if the artist him or herself doesn't wish to inject a certain perspective into his or her work, the audience will do it for them. Such is the nature of art: there is what the artist intended, and what the audience perceives. Both are halves of the same whole, and so long as human thought continues, one cannot exist without the other.

I don't see how you can talk about "social justice warfare" without talking about Dickens.

Not only was social justice his main reason for writing (once he had enough money), he was also massively successful in changing the prevailing attitudes in society.
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You might even say that the act of creating a piece of agenda-free art is, itself, pursuing an agenda of neutrality.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    And with regards to neutrality, I always think Desmond Tutu summed it up quite well....

If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality.