Skip to content

What's your opinion on social justice warfare in games?

LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
edited April 2016 in Off-Topic
I want to note that LGBT characters can be placed in games for all sorts of other reasons than social justice warfare. Thus we're not discussing the mere existence of LGBT characters in games.

I apologize in advance for missing options for answering. I can't imagine all the good possible answers before you come up with them .. :)
  1. What's your opinion on social justice warfare in games?74 votes
    1. I think it's an appropriate and needed outreach to those gamers who have reserved attitudes towards LGBT-people. Social justice warfare is justifiable even if done in ways that reveals the intention.
      18.92%
    2. I think it's an appropriate and needed outreach to those gamers who have reserved attitudes towards LGBT-people. Social justice warfare is justifiable, but only if done in subtle ways that doesn't reveal the intention.
        4.05%
    3. I really don't care
      37.84%
    4. I don't like it if it's done in not so subtle ways. Games are for leisure and I'll take care of my own personal development.
      12.16%
    5. I don't like it, neither when done subtle or not so subtle. Games are for leisure and I'll take care of my own personal development.
      27.03%

Comments

• BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    What a wonderfully un-biased poll! Not.

Sometimes you learn more from the question being asked, than the answer received.
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    BGLover said:

Sometimes you learn more from the question being asked, than the answer received.

Believe it or not, I tried my best to make it unbiased.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Moving this thread to Off Topic.
  • BenjaminBenjamin Member Posts: 39
    I don't like it but it also depends how pushy the author/writer feels.

Most games I'll skip over the dialog so its not problem, but i'll never read a book from Terry.G again after he started preaching his own beliefs & mocking everyone else's through his books.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Shandyr said:

Loldrup said:

I want to note that LGBT characters can be placed in games for all sorts of other reasons than social justice warfare.

@Loldrup
    May I ask what other reasons there can be for placing LGBT characters in games?
    The same reasons it's fine to put straight characters in games. It doesn't damage gameplay.

Theoretically, a game developer might make a character gay just to make a social justice point. But I can't think of a single example of that ever happening.

Considering Dorn is a bloodthirsty killer and Hexxat is a callous vampire, I'm pretty sure they weren't made bisexual and gay for social justice purposes. I think it was to provide more options for roleplaying... you know, like Anomen being added so female Charnames would have at least one person to romance.

Skyrim handled this issue best. They made marriage gender neutral and never made a big deal about it.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Loldrup said:

BGLover said:

Believe it or not, I tried my best to make it unbiased.
    Usage of the term "social justice warfare" makes the poll biased as not many people want to self associate with warfare (not to mention that I don't actually know what you mean when you use this term). The best way to make an unbiased poll is to avoid any loaded terms such as "SJW", "GG", or "political agenda" as they are likely to lead the person voting to the answer you yourself believe. Instead these terms should be expanded into what it is you mean by them, instead of leaving that interpretation up to the person taking the poll.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Nihilus said:

Medieval-based fantasy games like Baldur's Gate, on the other hand, are something altogether different. There will, and should, always be "a knight in shining armor" or "a damsell in distress" in these games.

As in pretty much every single post by regressive people, you're taking your own views as something solid, as if it's a fixed opinion shared by some imaginary homogenic group including everyone 'cept a small minority. News flash, there is no "should" in art and what is preferred is in a state of constant flux, shaping itself aligned to the ever changing world.

Games are art just as paintings or music and it's not for you, me or anyone else except the creators to decide what "should" be in it. And the artists/creators views are not seldom shaped by contemporary views, which means their creations will feature whatever the hell they want and your only choice is if you want to pay money for it or not.

• NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    edited April 2016
    Skatan said:

As in pretty much every single post by regressive people, you're taking your own views as something solid, as if it's a fixed opinion shared by some imaginary homogenic group including everyone 'cept a small minority.

Just how did I do that exactly? I merely presented my personal opinion, which is what the title question asks.
    Skatan said:

Games are art just as paintings or music and it's not for you, me or anyone else except the creators to decide what "should" be in it. And the artists/creators views are not seldom shaped by contemporary views, which means their creations will feature whatever the hell they want and your only choice is if you want to pay money for it or not.

Wrong. Another choice I have is to express my personal opinion in a forum created by developers for people like me (and you) to express our opinions.

Everyone can say what they think "should" be in the game, but it is ultimately the developers who decide what is actually in the game. No arguments there.

Nihilus said:

Skatan said:

As in pretty much every single post by regressive people, you're taking your own views as something solid, as if it's a fixed opinion shared by some imaginary homogenic group including everyone 'cept a small minority.

Just how did I do that exactly? I merely presented my personal opinion, which is what the title question asks.
    "Medieval-based fantasy games like Baldur's Gate, on the other hand, are something altogether different. There will, and should, always be "a knight in shining armor" or "a damsell in distress" in these games"
    Yeah, cause this sure sounds like just stating your own personal opinion, right?
    Nihilus said:

Skatan said:

Wrong. Another choice I have is to express my personal opinion in a forum created by developers for people like me (and you) to express our opinions.
    You stated your opinion as if it was shared by a majority, as if it was origo. I called you out on it.
    I didn't mean to imply that my opinion was shared by a majority there. (Come to think of it, maybe it is? I don't know, nor do I care.) Sorry if I caused any confusion.
    ..and I'm sorry if I came out as some douche-bag, but there's been enough prejudice on these forums the last week that I'm getting rather sensitive about it.

A word of advice then, if you're stating your own opinion it's good to say so in the post. The abbreviation "IMHO" is a good example.
    No worries, I realize tensions are running high these days. And thanks for the advice.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited April 2016
    Shandyr said:

Loldrup said:

I want to note that LGBT characters can be placed in games for all sorts of other reasons than social justice warfare.

@Loldrup
    Eh, because they exist?

To me, that question makes as much sense at "why include old people in games?"
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    I voted for no SJ at all in games, because in my opinion it very difficult to be done in a subtle way or without the producer pushing some kind of agenda. In a perfect RPG the player should be given the option to choose many reactions to a situation, including politically incorrect or offending to any of the sides.
    Fardragon said:

Shandyr said:

Loldrup said:

@Loldrup
    Eh, because they exist?

To me, that question makes as much sense at "why include old people in games?"
    And in the same idea, evil or antagonist to player LGBT characters should also be in a game, because some surely exist.
    gunman said:

And in the same idea, evil or antagonist to player LGBT characters should also be in a game, because some surely exist.

Technically, 2 out of 3 LGBT (Dorn and Hexxat) characters introduced in the Enhanced Editions are evil. Mizhena, I assume, is neutral; since she is apparently a follower of Tempus. Devs can be accused of some things, but not of portraying LGBT characters as universally benevolent. It's quite the opposite if anything.
    Yes, but the lack of other dialogue options when dealing with SJ subjects is not good. It gives the feeling of pushing an agenda or trying to educate the player.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The fact that some people think Beamdog was engaged in "warfare" against them is the crux of the problem. One side is engaged in a fight to the death and the rest of us are trying to figure what the hell went wrong in their lives to result in this absurdity....
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jjstraka34 Actually it is my understanding that an employee identified themselves as a SJW and told fans to deal with it, which is quite confrontational.
    If this was not called Baldur's Gate, then nobody would have cared. It's normal than the successor of an iconic game to ignite passions. And if you strip this game of the questionable writing (let's say you ignore it, and let's be honest, BG1 did not have great writing either), the only redeeming quality remains the Infinity Engine 2nd ed. D&D combat, which is not Beamdog's merit.