Skip to content

The "anti-self" roleplaying challenge

Basic rules:

1) Role play. The fundamental idea of this challenge is to play a character that is as different from yourself as it could be. I know some players are excellent at this but I feel that many of us simply have a hard time truly getting into a character that is very different from who we are in real life.

2) There are no hardcore or power playing rules, it's all about roleplaying. You can sleep as often as you want, reload on wipes, use whatever cheesy strategies or play no reload, totally up to you.

3) I suggest completing http://easydamus.com/character.html to find out what you would be in the DnD universe. Then design a character that is its exact opposite. Some examples: If you are weak, play strong. If you love nature, hate it. If you are selfless, be selfish. If you are smart, play dumb. If you are good, be evil. If you don't care about money, be greedy. If you are male, be female. If you are lawful good, play chaotic evil. If you are tall and lean, play a fat dwarf, gnome or halfling. The only thing I recommend is that you don't play human to make things more interesting. Base your character's stats on your real life stats.
You can of course use another website or other tools but I found this one particularly useful. Flesh out your character as much as you want, the more the better.

4) Install mods that will enhance your experience. If you end up playing an evil character, I suggest using Anthology Tweaks mod evil improvements (low reputation discounts, evil NPC adjustment rolls etc.). Feel free to add romances that you think your character would likely pursue. The sky is the limit.

5) Share your stories with us and have as much fun as you can! :)

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Seems interesting. Gonna bookmark the topic so that I could visit it later. I'm going to try making such character sometime.
  • IglosnofIglosnof Member Posts: 119
    edited May 2016
    Dude, I almost choked with laughter now reading this. Love it. Thumbs up!

There is no opposite to average really. Your stats can be flexible, just make sure they fit your character. I put my character's intelligence below average cause mine is quite decent. The constitution is really high cause mine is not great. Would've been 16 but she's a dwarf and dwarfs are tough. All the stats are really about 1-3 higher than they would be normally because this is the fantasy realm after all. So adjust average scores the way it makes sense for your character.

I'm also playing lawful evil so my plan is to keep Imoen and make sure my reputation never tanks totally. She's my sister and I'm totally loyal to my family. Definitely not taking anyone chaotic cause they're too unpredictable. That means no Jan Jensen in BG2, instead it's Yoshimo all the way for me :)
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    I took the profile survey at the Character creation link you posted and really like the results. Seems closer than some other profiles that I have generated. ~ thttp://www.easydamus.com/character.html

True Neutral Human Druid Level 8 with:
    Strength---------------16
    Dexterity---------------14
    Constitution------------16
    Intelligence-------------14
    Wisdom--------------- 18
    Charisma---------------13
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    edited May 2016

Not gonna play the anti-self roleplaying challenge but I have to say this quiz is kind of fun.

There was a test that was much better for ability scores I took back in the day, I don't know if this is the one, but it looks like it might be. It definitely had questions more specific about physical stuff like this one does, which helps the test give you score corresponding to how the books measure it.

edit: this one definitely doesn't look like the one I remember taking, but given the little backstory of his version he types at the top of it there it might be the one I took, and it definitely asks familiar looking questions
  • dotsdots Member Posts: 37
    Well, according to the test I am a 'Chaotic Neutral Human Paladin/Rogue (1/1), 10/8/11/10/8/10' which is a) absurdly hilarious and b) utterly on point if you interpret those results to mean 'painfully average mess who has no idea who she is or what she wants.'

I used my lowest scores from my 'Detailed Results' to help determine my anti-self who should be:

Pious dwarf man who is exceptional at almost everything and knows exactly where he stands and where he is going. I gave myself a little wiggle room with the alignment - I scored a point lower on Lawful Evil versus Lawful Good, but I also just finished an evil series run and am not yet ready to accept a Bad Guy CHARNAME who is not my snotty elf into my heart. I also started him in SoD; after a half dozen aborted runs I think it's time to accept I just don't want to play BG1 right now. He should be a challenge. Gods and religion are a sizable gap in my D&D knowledge, and I'm not wild about clerics beyond battle use to begin with. A quick google says Moradin would be the appropriate god for him, but I do love kits and it doesn't seem like there's any rule against dwarves worshiping Tyr. Seeing as Vondrus was raised by humans, it shouldn't be too hard to justify from an RP perspective.

We'll see! :smiley:

A fun quiz and an interesting challenge. Thank you for sharing!
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    For me that would be a barbarian/fig gnome lol. Would be interesting tbh.

Im big-gnome is small
    im weak-gnome would need to be strong lol
    don't think the gnome would have much int/wis but hed be good at talking to people like im not! so 18cha

Weapons might include clubs, I hate the crap outa them, or slings.

This would be companion heavy too because I have no friends in RL :P bwaha

I might try it out though.
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited May 2016
    These are my results from http://easydamus.com/character.html -:
    "You Are A:

Lawful Neutral Human Cleric/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 17
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 16
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 18
    Charisma- 17

Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral- A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs him. Order and organization are paramount to him. He may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or he may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government. Lawful neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you are reliable and honorable without being a zealot. However, lawful neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it seeks to eliminate all freedom, choice, and diversity in society.

Race:
    Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.

Primary Class:
    Clerics- Clerics act as intermediaries between the earthly and the divine (or infernal) worlds. A good cleric helps those in need, while an evil cleric seeks to spread his patron's vision of evil across the world. All clerics can heal wounds and bring people back from the brink of death, and powerful clerics can even raise the dead. Likewise, all clerics have authority over undead creatures, and they can turn away or even destroy these creatures. Clerics are trained in the use of simple weapons, and can use all forms of armor and shields without penalty, since armor does not interfere with the casting of divine spells. In addition to his normal complement of spells, every cleric chooses to focus on two of his deity's domains. These domains grants the cleric special powers, and give him access to spells that he might otherwise never learn. A cleric's Wisdom score should be high, since this determines the maximum spell level that he can cast.

Secondary Class:
    Sorcerers- Sorcerers are arcane spellcasters who manipulate magic energy with imagination and talent rather than studious discipline. They have no books, no mentors, no theories just raw power that they direct at will. Sorcerers know fewer spells than wizards do and acquire them more slowly, but they can cast individual spells more often and have no need to prepare their incantations ahead of time. Also unlike wizards, sorcerers cannot specialize in a school of magic. Since sorcerers gain their powers without undergoing the years of rigorous study that wizards go through, they have more time to learn fighting skills and are proficient with simple weapons. Charisma is very important for sorcerers; the higher their value in this ability, the higher the spell level they can cast.

Web page and journal code: Copy and paste the following:

I Am A: Lawful Neutral Human Cleric/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:

Strength-17

Dexterity-15

Constitution-16

Intelligence-15

Wisdom-18

Charisma-17

Alignment:
    Lawful Neutral A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs him. Order and organization are paramount to him. He may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or he may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government. Lawful neutral is the best alignment you can be because it means you are reliable and honorable without being a zealot. However, lawful neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it seeks to eliminate all freedom, choice, and diversity in society.

Race:
    Humans are the most adaptable of the common races. Short generations and a penchant for migration and conquest have made them physically diverse as well. Humans are often unorthodox in their dress, sporting unusual hairstyles, fanciful clothes, tattoos, and the like.

Primary Class:
    Clerics act as intermediaries between the earthly and the divine (or infernal) worlds. A good cleric helps those in need, while an evil cleric seeks to spread his patron's vision of evil across the world. All clerics can heal wounds and bring people back from the brink of death, and powerful clerics can even raise the dead. Likewise, all clerics have authority over undead creatures, and they can turn away or even destroy these creatures. Clerics are trained in the use of simple weapons, and can use all forms of armor and shields without penalty, since armor does not interfere with the casting of divine spells. In addition to his normal complement of spells, every cleric chooses to focus on two of his deity's domains. These domains grants the cleric special powers, and give him access to spells that he might otherwise never learn. A cleric's Wisdom score should be high, since this determines the maximum spell level that he can cast.

Secondary Class:
    Sorcerers are arcane spellcasters who manipulate magic energy with imagination and talent rather than studious discipline. They have no books, no mentors, no theories just raw power that they direct at will. Sorcerers know fewer spells than wizards do and acquire them more slowly, but they can cast individual spells more often and have no need to prepare their incantations ahead of time. Also unlike wizards, sorcerers cannot specialize in a school of magic. Since sorcerers gain their powers without undergoing the years of rigorous study that wizards go through, they have more time to learn fighting skills and are proficient with simple weapons. Charisma is very important for sorcerers; the higher their value in this ability, the higher the spell level they can cast.

Find out What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?, courtesy of Easydamus (e-mail)

Detailed Results:

Alignment:
    Lawful Good ----- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (23)
    Neutral Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (22)
    Chaotic Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (19)
    Lawful Neutral -- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (23)
    True Neutral ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (22)
    Chaotic Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (19)
    Lawful Evil ----- XXXXXXXXX (9)
    Neutral Evil ---- XXXXXXXX (8)
    Chaotic Evil ---- XXXXX (5)

Law & Chaos:
    Law ----- XXXXXXXXX (9)
    Neutral - XXXXXXXX (8)
    Chaos --- XXXXX (5)

Good & Evil:
    Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
    Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
    Evil ---- (0)

Race:
    Human ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
    Dwarf ---- XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
    Elf ------ XXXX (4)
    Gnome ---- XXXXXXXX (8)
    Halfling - XXXXXXXX (8)
    Half-Elf - XXXXXXXXX (9)
    Half-Orc - XXXX (4)

Class:
    Barbarian - XXXXXX (6)
    Bard ------ XXXXXX (6)
    Cleric ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
    Druid ----- XXXXXXXXXX (10)
    Fighter --- XXXXXXXXXX (10)
    Monk ------ XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
    Paladin --- XXXXXXXXXX (10)
    Ranger ---- XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
    Rogue ----- XXXX (4)
    Sorcerer -- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
    Wizard ---- XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)

Neppyman said, 'Like this survey? Copy, paste, and edit the code to make your own! Please give me credit if you do so, of course,' so I'm giving him his due. ^_^

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? E-mail Me!

(close this window)"

I do not really agree with some of the results and the questions are kind of limiting, I wish one could pick multiple answers for example:
    30. My friends would say that I am...

...dependable and loyal.
    ...down-to-earth and relaxed.
    ...worldly and diplomatic.
    ...zany and fun.
    ...wild and crazy.
    ...sharp and witty.

I have been described as all of these things by many diverse groups of people and I have a vast difficulty tying myself to just one. I picked "...dependable and loyal." for that is what most of my closest friends say I am but for instance I have similarly been called something akin to "...down-to-earth and relaxed" many of times yet I have fought for improved rights and better regulations and got them changed while also being elected by a few times into a political position to act and something like "...worldly and diplomatic" I am very much wild and crazy at heart and most of my friends can at least to all of the crazy shit I have done although I have made a lot of people laugh and I have found myself walking down the street and some one comes up to me and starts recalling all of the crazy wild and really fun 'zany' and cool things we did together while on weekend or at school or where ever there is a group. Although some times I have to awkwardly ask for their name for I have mostly forgotten them but they did not forgot myself. Many times I have been told how sly or witty or sharp I have been by a group after avoiding trouble with a superior after throwing up a convincing alibi or successful excuse after being near immediately caught in mischief when with a group of people or cracking a really silly joke or just beating people in a strategy type of games. I could pick any one of these for I have strong cases for all of them.

Anyway enough chest pumping or what ever, I like the idea of this exercise and I really enjoy this concept although perhaps 3 or 5 or 7 quizzes could optionally given / included to really divine some of the inner traits of people for the above test is good although I do not feel it be be 100% accurate for er, 'reading' whom people could become within a Dungeons and Dragons-esc setting.

I know this quiz below is not 100% accurate neither for this type of question by I remember fond memories with taking myself, friends and family member through this quiz:

https://www.helloquizzy.com/tests/the-fantasy-rpg-class-test

As to whether or not it is 100% suiting for Advanced / Dungeons and Dragons I will leave up to you to decide.
    Post edited by WithinAmnesia on
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Very clever. I've done this test a few times, I usually end up with either Wizards or Clerics, with a splashing of Druid from time to time.

My latest test was...

Lawful Good Human Wizard (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 10
    Intelligence- 16
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

But really, the only thing that's remained true throughout all the tests is the alignment, Lawful Good. I just can't do evil, but maybe I'll do a chaotic character, chaotic neutral to get as close to opposite as I can. While all the tests always come up pure casters, I have played and enjoyed pure martial characters a lot too... so I guess a middle character, between pure martial and pure caster.

Oh look, I was just thinking of starting up a Blade the other day.
    edited May 2016
    Marzbarz, that's exactly the kind of logic I am going for as well. I hate flails so definitely my character will use flails a lot. I love dual wielding so she'll go sword and shield. I like ranged weapons so she'll just charge in and smash face, damn ranged weapons.

WithinAmnesia, the test is there to help you find the answers that are already inside you :)
    For me the real challenge is to play the "anti-self", not the opposite of the results you get on any test.

JumboWheat01, playing evil doesn't necessarily mean being a total dip shit and killing everyone on sight. I will play evil and I plan to be quite pragmatic about it. My character will be mildly evil (just like I am only mildly good) and won't random slaughter people, but she will be a manipulator, a politician and greedy as hell. But if you really detest the idea of playing evil, don't play it. Chaotic neutral with some evil tendencies might work great though.

P.S. How do I edit user's names in a post to make them orange?
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Iglosnof just at an "@" sign in front of the name.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited May 2016
    I guess, if I do this challenge, I will have to play a chaotic evil, yet suave half-orc assasin with 19/18/19/9/8/16 stats, and go stabby-stabby with long, poisonous swords.
    edited May 2016
    That will make for quite a powerful backstabber :)
    Post edited by Iglosnof on
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2016
    How do you play the opposite of a true neutral character? In terms of playing the opposite of apathy, I could practically choose any other alignment, couldn't I?
    edited May 2016
    Well the opposite of apathy might be tricky indeed. But if you normally don't care about people, your character could care a lot. If you are all about balance, then your character could try to be unbalanced as a person and/or strive to be as far away from balance as possible in their pursuits (pure chaos, pure order or something like that)
  • TrueDannyboyTrueDannyboy Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for that quiz, that was a first for me. Was really fun to see the results.

Lawful Good Human Monk (6th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 13
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 15
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 16

I didn't realize I was so pious. Was pretty close to paladin's / druid / cleric as well. It's funny to i always love to play rogue / assassin type of classes in most games. Complete opposites to this test.

Cheers,
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    edited May 2016
    Apparently I am a human ranger/druid or cleric with high wis and int. Don't get the druid part but I obviously love trees and must go hug them. Have never played a druid though. Lawful good as well.

My obvious low strength and stamina has made the choice. So I will become a dwarf. Maybe dwarven defender. Or a berserk. High strength and constitution but not the brightest. Definitely evil. Axe wielding. And being female it must be a male.

And I must say this is fun. Have played evil but always human. Now for the most difficult part. The name of my new PC.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    doggy said:

The name of my new PC.

Yggod?
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    I took the test a while back, already: a true neutral monk and wizard with decidedly mediocre stats.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    I turned out to be outstandingly average, according to the test... A Neutral Good Human Monk with Bard as secondary class (?) and painfully dull and unrewarding stats: 11/13/13/13/13/13. Whats the opposite to utterly average? High Stats I would set low and low stats high, but this? :confused:

I'm afraid I don't get it. :lol:
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    @justtravelinthrough you could take one of the other stat quizzes I linked in the thread above and see if they give you results better for tinkering with! :)